Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another teen texting victim (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388371)

PalmerGA 12-15-2014 07:46 PM

Youch! Glad everyone is okay. These Gen5s are really built... amazing what your car did to her big ass SUV.

Can I have your spoiler? Right color and everything.

SCREAMING EAGLE 12-15-2014 07:51 PM

Neither vehivle is totaled but both have extensive damage.

CruisingSpeed 12-15-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheCat (Post 8115464)
And exhaust and whatever inside the trunk he'll need. Who knows what damage is under that
My friends 09 Vibe just has scratches and the lower grille is cracked

but the frame is completely wrecked.

Just a joke there, but yeah your right.

Gee 12-15-2014 08:02 PM

Just wow. These accidents can be so preventable. I turn on my lame ATT app that auto replies to texts saying "I'm driving I'll call you later". Its never worth it. Some people forget or don't realize a collision going from just 45-50 mph to Zero MPH, is enough to kill you or cause brain/spinal damage. I know one such person who lost the GIFT of walking, and talking normal, all because some dick couldn't wait to text his buddy about that he was almost there. Hopefully that woman will realize, its just not worth it.... Glad youre ok man.

kevinw 12-15-2014 08:58 PM

OP glad you are ok. THese camaros are tanks. no doubt. i frankly wouldnt want that camaro back after that hit. yes, verts can be an issue, especially the 2011 and 2012 of which your car was. get the phone records from that girl and press charges too. good luck, maybe go ahead and get a new ZL1 vert now!

sycraft 12-15-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjk_art (Post 8115408)
Your car took the hit like that because it was designed to..

Looks like the exhaust is bent, which could mean your frame is damaged as well.

If they don't total it and the frame is bent, I would argue with the insurance you bought the car for it's safety ratings and you don't feel safe in a car with a repaired frame.

Camaro does not have a frame, its a unibody vehicle and designed to be repaired. just because the unibody is tweaked, it can be put back in specs. Probably not a total. if repaired. get it looked at and then sell if you do not like the repairs.

wadeh 12-15-2014 09:31 PM

My Corvette (also a convertible) was rear-ended in very similar circumstances. The other guy's insurance company wanted to total it, but their offer was ridiculous. My own insurance company was happy to repair it at a shop of my choosing.

In my case, the rear crossmember on the frame was damage and needed to be replaced. They had to disassemble the whole back half of the car, replace the crossmember and reassemble it. They used only Chevrolet parts and replaced every damaged piece. There are no used or repaired parts on the car. All told, it was $20k worth of repairs.

My insurance company recovered the entire cost of repairs through subrogation and I paid no deductible (was out of pocket zero). I also collected diminished value from the other insurance company, but I needed to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit to do it.

The Corvette is built on a ladder frame, like a truck, and it was fully repairable. It was also fairly new at the time, with a market value that justified a $20k repair. With the lower value of the Camaro and unibody construction, I would guess that it's a total loss (and I would not want a unibody with substantial repairs anyway).

Nor Cal ZL1 12-15-2014 09:54 PM

In the second picture it looks like she is still screwing around with the phone while standing next to two bent cars. I hate these phones and how they are used on the roads. Ticket for phone use while driving should be $$$$$$$$.

Sorry for your accident, and glad your ok.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 12-15-2014 10:35 PM

based on the crinkles in your quarter panels and around the top, I would be very surprised if it isn't totaled.

the only way to fix those rear panels is to cut them and weld in new ones, that's a lot of labor and most insurance companies won't do it in my experience

sycraft 12-15-2014 10:39 PM

bottom line, it needs to get to a shop and looked at, the rear quarters are fine, once pressure is relived from pulling they will repair, rear body replacement for sure, floor repair possibly but needs to get a look at it
. As a body man from long ago, looks like a fairly simple repair.

christianmotox 12-15-2014 10:40 PM

Glad you're ok, I was recently rear ended too but mine was not as bad.

That SUV really took a beating and the camaro looks like it took the hit well

ActNup NY 12-15-2014 11:06 PM

I really hate seeing people texting and driving man. Cause they are more into the text more so the road. Just by looking at the pic I'd say the car is salvageable . Glad your okay that accident looked pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurtscamaro 12-15-2014 11:14 PM

Yea man iam sorry about your ride, the same thing happen to me in my avenger thank god it wasnt my camaro but i was stoped at a red light and then bam i get rear ended of course the guy said he wasnt paying attention so as soon as he gets out hes still texting i was laughing so hard like dude you diddnt learn anything from this huh?:bonk:

SIN R G 12-15-2014 11:47 PM

Texting is getting unbelievable. Last summer the wife and I were just coming into a small town, we could see a crotch rocket coming at us. I thought someone was riding on the back because we could see someone sitting up. As the bike got closer and went past us, it was the guy driving. He was sitting straight up with his phone between his hands texting while riding a crotch rocket in town. If I had not seen it, I would not believe it.