Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New OnStar capability: Remote Engine Block (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33757)

BlueMarlin 07-22-2009 11:54 PM

This also eliminates the aftermarket option of the 'silencer' which is that thick key below the steering column that can be removed and the car will not start no matter what.

but this is good news :)

Vash 07-23-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMarlin (Post 712580)
This also eliminates the aftermarket option of the 'silencer' which is that thick key below the steering column that can be removed and the car will not start no matter what.

but this is good news :)

Why would it eliminate that? It still can be used. The more layers of defense the better.

The passlock signal wire probably routes thru that silencer thing. That's the wire you normally route thru an alarm brain starter kill.

Lucky SOB 07-23-2009 12:19 AM

To me this is scary stuff... If there was a way to disable it, I would.

So who owns most of GM right now? oh yeah, the government.
So who has access to do this and has just this much more control over you, the government.
I DO NOT want this much "big brother looking over my shoulder"

Doc 07-23-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky SOB (Post 712660)
To me this is scary stuff... If there was a way to disable it, I would.

So who owns most of GM right now? oh yeah, the government.
So who has access to do this and has just this much more control over you, the government.
I DO NOT want this much "big brother looking over my shoulder"

I'm with you. After seeing the abuse of power with Joe the Plumber who merely asked O a question, I can only imagine what could be done with something like this if you're registered with the "wrong" party or "they" suspect you aren't "for" them.

I'll be disabling it on mine. It's an electronic circuit with wiring; nothing more. There is a way and I'll figure it out.

SleepWarz 07-23-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 712685)
I'm with you. After seeing the abuse of power with Joe the Plumber who merely asked O a question, I can only imagine what could be done with something like this if you're registered with the "wrong" party or "they" suspect you aren't "for" them.

I'll be disabling it on mine. It's an electronic circuit with wiring; nothing more. There is a way and I'll figure it out.

Make a post when you do, lol.

I want that crap gone.

Rogue Leader 07-23-2009 06:45 AM

You guys must never have had a car you care about stolen.

I think this is great and I'm very happy there is now ANOTHER measure to prevent perps from getting away with my car.

broncosman 07-23-2009 06:59 AM

When I go to work (Houston PD) and I'm parking my Camaro in Greenspoint (Nicknamed "Gunspoint") I am looking forward to that extra security. The auto theft is high in the area and I plan on purchasing a car alarm that lets me know someone's tampering with the vehicle. I said it before, my plan is to call On* right away and I get on the radio and ask any one of my co-workers closest to the Storefront to fly over there asap and severely arrest the S.O.B. trying to take/mess up my ride. :D

Nova65 07-23-2009 09:35 AM

yeah, and if you don't make your payments they know where to find it for repo lol.

broncosman 07-23-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova65 (Post 713644)
yeah, and if you don't make your payments they know where to find it for repo lol.

good thing I have awesome credit from making all my bills and payments all the time ;)

DDustiNN 07-23-2009 09:48 AM

Wow, I can't believe some of you are actually wanting to disable this feature... This is incredible, and is one of the main reasons I will be renewing my OnStar after the first year (not to mention the emergency services part was incredibly helpful in my accident).

Stop being so paranoid... OnStar is a great service, not a freaking government conspiracy...

"OMG, that guy voted Republican! Turn off his car!"

Please.

:facepalm:

Dr Jkel 07-23-2009 09:54 AM

Awesome feature, if you have ever had a vehicle stolen you will not disable it. It is the most sickest feeling you can have when you come out and see that it is gone and have no clue where it is or how to find it. If they are dumb enough to drive it home thenyou will know who it is, plus the car can be tracked while it is being stolen, Awesome feature.

Rogue Leader 07-23-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDustiNN (Post 713696)
Wow, I can't believe some of you are actually wanting to disable this feature... This is incredible, and is one of the main reasons I will be renewing my OnStar after the first year (not to mention the emergency services part was incredibly helpful in my accident).

Stop being so paranoid... OnStar is a great service, not a freaking government conspiracy...

"OMG, that guy voted Republican! Turn off his car!"

Please.

:facepalm:

x1000

wullger 07-23-2009 10:15 AM

Yes and we never landed on the moon either.:sm0:

Don't cinch those tinfoil hats up so tight!

Vash 07-23-2009 10:19 AM

Yea they disclosed the power down anyway so there is little difference in the 2 for the end result of stopping the car's motion.