Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V8 bolt on help desk! Now available!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304257)

thahemp 09-11-2013 08:41 PM

Hah. I made my wife a deal. She could have a chihuahua if she got rid of her cat. Best deal i ever made. Any dog is better than the best cat that ever lived.

MikeMoach 09-11-2013 08:49 PM

Ok it's not my intake manifold or gasket, was trying again to find this whistling/hissing nd by accident leaned on the cath can hose and it stopped so that's where I been going crazy for 4 days

While this site was down for a Lil while I looked it up on one of the vette forums and it seems like I'm not the only one with the noise in the hose, but I didn't see anyone saying they have pressure coming out the intake like I have

Is there anything I can do to to make it like it was? I've had the can for a couple months and nothing till now

axis 09-11-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoach (Post 6994904)
Ok it's not my intake manifold or gasket, was trying again to find this whistling/hissing nd by accident leaned on the cath can hose and it stopped so that's where I been going crazy for 4 days

While this site was down for a Lil while I looked it up on one of the vette forums and it seems like I'm not the only one with the noise in the hose, but I didn't see anyone saying they have pressure coming out the intake like I have

Is there anything I can do to to make it like it was? I've had the can for a couple months and nothing till now

A catchcan is suppose to be a closed system. Where on the can or tubing is it leaking? If it's tubing, just change it out. If it's on the can, JB weld should easily fix it. Either way, it should be a easy, inexpensive fix.

MikeMoach 09-11-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6994944)
A catchcan is suppose to be a closed system. Where on the can or tubing is it leaking? If it's tubing, just change it out. If it's on the can, JB weld should easily fix it. Either way, it should be a easy, inexpensive fix.

There is no leak, it's so loud you can hear it with the hood closed

And when I rev the engine to about 1500-2000 you can hear it push air out of the intake then the car takes air in like normal

MikeMoach 09-11-2013 09:22 PM

From what I understand the intake manifold creates the vacuum and pulls the oil and everything around through the can, when I installed it I had no noise for the past couple months and now I have this hissing noise

I've checked the hoses and no leaks, pinched the inlet hose and it stops the noise, did I do something to cause this? Can I get it back to being quiet like it was when I first installed it?

ssmike 09-11-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6994881)
Hah. I made my wife a deal. She could have a chihuahua if she got rid of her cat. Best deal i ever made. Any dog is better than the best cat that ever lived.

:word:

Muddflap 09-11-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoach (Post 6995048)
From what I understand the intake manifold creates the vacuum and pulls the oil and everything around through the can, when I installed it I had no noise for the past couple months and now I have this hissing noise

I've checked the hoses and no leaks, pinched the inlet hose and it stops the noise, did I do something to cause this? Can I get it back to being quiet like it was when I first installed it?

To make sure it not a vacuum leak or to pin point where it is get a can of Barrymans B12. Put the spray nozzle on it so i can control where u spray and spay little bursts around where u hear the hissing. When the Barrymans hits it, it will rev your motor slightly. That's how I have always done it.

MikeMoach 09-11-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddflap (Post 6995071)
To make sure it not a vacuum leak or to pin point where it is get a can of Barrymans B12. Put the spray nozzle on it so i can control where u spray and spay little bursts around where u hear the hissing. When the Barrymans hits it, it will rev your motor slightly. That's how I have always done it.

Ok but would the can stop that from going out and into the manifold?

I have brake cleaner will that work the same?

Muddflap 09-11-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoach (Post 6995089)
Ok but would the can stop that from going out and into the manifold?

I have brake cleaner will that work the same?

Barrymans is a carburator cleaner so it won't hurt anything and you will just be misting it around trying to find the leak, not soaking it. I wouldn't use brake cleaner.

MikeMoach 09-11-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddflap (Post 6995126)
Barrymans is a carburator cleaner so it won't hurt anything and you will just be misting it around trying to find the leak, not soaking it. I wouldn't use brake cleaner.

Ok ill pick a can up tomorrow a try, thanks for the info and advice

Muddflap 09-11-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoach (Post 6995156)
Ok ill pick a can up tomorrow a try, thanks for the info and advice

No problem.... That's the only/easiest way I know of to look for a vacuum leak. Someone else might chime in with a better way. My knowledge only goes so far.

axis 09-12-2013 12:36 AM

You can do the carb cleaner trick to narrow it down. Until then, i'd suggest taking the catch can out of the equation. Do you have the ability to take it back to stock?

MikeMoach 09-12-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6995569)
You can do the carb cleaner trick to narrow it down. Until then, i'd suggest taking the catch can out of the equation. Do you have the ability to take it back to stock?

Yes I still have the stock line, ill get the carb cleaner today at work and test it when I get home. I might have the hose to swap out the inlet side if that's the problem but ill see what's what when I get home today thank you guys

Birm 09-12-2013 09:03 AM

As Axis said, take the can off and return it to stock, that will eliminate that being part of the equation. Check and possibly replace the hoses, check all the routings are correct and the clamps.