Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Le mans (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303407)

Sapphire 06-22-2013 05:01 PM

Le mans

Well I was curious who all watched the 24 hour race. I will watch it a few times during the day and have always cheered on Corvette racing. I hope they pull off a win tomorrow. but as I am siting here watching it I was wondering.... could a camaro race in this race? it would be crazy on the engine (24 hours of racing) but just wondering if a camaro with a good team behind it could race?

cornerspeed92 06-22-2013 05:53 PM

Watching right now,thats a cool place.

Sapphire 06-22-2013 10:14 PM

Lol yeah was watching it on speed channel and a reporter when to interview the fans. They were all drunk and some dude mooned the camera. Crazy people lol.

31B 06-22-2013 10:34 PM

I am also watching. Camaro unfortunately would not be able to compete. Different class of car. However they kick a$$ in Grand-am.

Sapphire 06-22-2013 10:45 PM

yeah that's what I thought. I didn't know if there was a class the Camaro could enter. Oh well... Go big sister! Aka corvette racing :)

franknbeans 06-23-2013 10:19 AM

I think they could. Win... prob not..all that would need to be done is use the drive train from the corvette racing team.

Doc 06-23-2013 11:13 AM

The Z/28 may change things. Mark Stielow who's in charge of developing it has said it can run out an entire tank of gas on the track without any heat issues; that includes the brakes, engine, trans and diff. This is a car that actually could take on Le Mans.

Sapphire 06-23-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6704462)
The Z/28 may change things. Mark Stielow who's in charge of developing it has said it can run out an entire tank of gas on the track without any heat issues; that includes the brakes, engine, trans and diff. This is a car that actually could take on Le Mans.

thats very cool! nice to know the Z/28 could handle 24 hrs of harsh racing, but I wonder if it could qualify for one of the classes Le Mans has? thats the one thing that I don't know about. would be very cool to see both the corvettes and camaros racing at Le Mans.

Devilfish 06-23-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowCammy (Post 6705190)
thats very cool! nice to know the Z/28 could handle 24 hrs of harsh racing, but I wonder if it could qualify for one of the classes Le Mans has? thats the one thing that I don't know about. would be very cool to see both the corvettes and camaros racing at Le Mans.

The Camaro actually does race in a 24 hour race. Search this section for Rolex 24 hours at Daytona and you will find some pics. This race is typically in late January. I have been several times and it is an amazing experience.

MJanowich 06-30-2013 03:48 PM

I watched Le Mans off and on all weekend, rooting for Corvette Racing and now the Vipers. I'm not sure a Camaro would do well there due to the higher drag the body shape has over more sleek cars like the Corvette.

Plenty of Chevy drivetrain parts have been in endurance races, so I wouldn't be too worried about it breaking down any more than other manufacturers. All of the LMPC cars in the ALMS run LS3 engines and they run in Sebring and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Plus, Stevenson has run Camaros at Daytona since 2010. Not may parts from that car are stock though.