Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Next mod question, intake manifold or cam? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331950)

IOMss11 12-09-2013 04:44 PM

Next mod question, intake manifold or cam?

Now, i have a 2010 SS M6, With Full exhaust, (headers, hi flows, and no mufflers) An AFE CAI, 160* Tstat, and Dyno tuned. With those mods i put down 401/396 to the ground. I dont know much else into modding cars, or what the right route to take is, I really want some more power and looking to spend about $2000 with installation, (im from NJ). If i want cam, do i need "heads"? and what does that mean. And has anyone installed the FAST intake manifold, is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :thanks:

acowherd 12-09-2013 04:50 PM

Ls3 heads flow pretty darn good stock. Put a nice camshaft in that car. Should get you close to 500 rwhp!!

christianchevell 12-09-2013 06:07 PM

from studies of the intake manifolds I have seen its a real low gain for the high bucks, and realistically a 30 h.p. gain from a streetable cam is most likely. Just remember too much cam and you need springs and things to go with it. On my old hot rods too much cam also meant having a reserve brake vacuum canister because of the long lope of the cam making it hard on the braking due to loss of vacuum from the long duration and high lift of the cam, or better lifters to go with the cam, or better rockers to go with the lifters and cam and springs and retainers and valve seals....etc. Different runner lengths on intakes make the power band change mainly but have not seen them make much power as the stock intake is a good one. If you do things right you would most like be around 450-465 rear wheel and 500 flywheel with a good cam,heads and a tune for it included,( heads would be about a 30h.p. gain). You could check out livernois or other places that have packages.....like say hennesey, or such.

acowherd 12-09-2013 06:57 PM

The LG G6X3 cam in a ls3 car with supporting mods was around 480 rwhp

If your putting in a cam...springs and pushrods are pretty much a given.

Mwalterhouse 12-09-2013 07:04 PM

I have 465 rwhp with similar mods and Comp Custom Cam. 3.91 gears are next.

Avenging Orange 12-09-2013 07:28 PM

Intakes will give you some gain....but kinda useless without a cam. The stock heads and intake flow pretty well. Just be careful what cam you get and dont let someone talk u into something u may hate. Talk to some of our sponsors or comp cams....get an idea what you want out of you car and thouroughly investigate what affects different cams have on your vehicle and what other items might be needed to insure you dont have issues later down the line. Good luck.

Joe@CPR.com 12-09-2013 07:32 PM

For your budget depending on install prices in your area you should be able to do a cam easily. We offer full custom grinds and include complete gaskets kits if need be, but personally i'm sure the shop you use would rather sell you the gasket kit so they can make a little on those, for the intake manifold if you don't want to jump up to a fast we offer full porting of the oem manifolds and have a lot of independent data to back up the gains they produce. If you have any questions please feel free to email, pm, or call me at the shop.

Trob85 12-09-2013 07:36 PM

Cam no comparison as far as hp gains.

Rocky1974 12-11-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMss11 (Post 7249517)
Now, i have a 2010 SS M6, With Full exhaust, (headers, hi flows, and no mufflers) An AFE CAI, 160* Tstat, and Dyno tuned. With those mods i put down 401/396 to the ground. I dont know much else into modding cars, or what the right route to take is, I really want some more power and looking to spend about $2000 with installation, (im from NJ). If i want cam, do i need "heads"? and what does that mean. And has anyone installed the FAST intake manifold, is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :thanks:

I've got Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes, Kooks high-flow cats, stock cat-back, and CAI cold air w/scoop and I made 416 at the wheels. Of course it was a different dyno, different day, different tuner, etc. Lots of variables. But my tuner told me that I could have about 480 with a cam. I'd say that if you are looking for big gains, a cam is the way to go. The heads and intakes are already pretty good on these cars. The trick will be picking the correct one. Going too big on a cam can be worse than going too small. I'd get some people's recommendations on here and talk to some shops. You should be able to narrow it down to a few grinds pretty quick. if you have a reputable shop in your area who does the installs and dyno tunes, that's where I'd go. If not give Jannetty a call. He should be able to get you on the right track.