Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I sold my Camaro and it was tough (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147152)

slacker 05-14-2011 07:34 AM

I sold my Camaro and it was tough

Well, I had to sell my Camaro. I wasn't going to post this, but there is a story to this. I hurt my back 3 months ago and it's just been sitting in the garage. I have owned and sold a lot of cars in my lifetime (even a 69 RS Camaro and a few Grand Nationals), and I have never felt about a car like I did this one.

My mom cried when I told her, and not fake tears, real ones. She fell in LOVE with my car when I took it over and showed her. With back issues (and those with this affliction can attest) I couldn't push the clutch in- 6 speed manual. I know people will say "Get an auto", but I don't think it will ever be the same.

Chevrolet, you built something special with this car. I can't describe what it is, but the last 2 years of owning it really were great. Thanks. :wub:

PS- I wanted to keep one of the keys. Not for sentimental reasons, but so I could click it. Damn it, that is an affliction thats hard to get over. ;)

IROCanSS 05-14-2011 07:43 AM

Sorry man... my dad has back issues... lifted his motorcycle over the hood of his car when he was young, dumb and full... well you know the rest. Been battling it ever since.... been 40 years now.

I hurt my back playing baseball when I was 13. Didnt tell anyone. Finally at 30 I got tired of dealing with it, went to the doctor... here I have a birth defect and one of my vertebrae (SP?) is like 5mm out of wack... nothing going to kill me but I have to watch what I do.

I feel for you and the pain you have IT SUCKS. Whne mine acts up, I cant bend over to pick anything up, thankfully it doesnt effect my driving but it effects my sleeping :(

As for the automatic... I am sure it would be close to the same.... give it some time and maybe go drive one.

SlingShot 05-14-2011 08:58 AM

I feel for you, I really do ... I've been thinking of trading mine in on an auto. I messed up my right shoulder a couple years a go, and it still gives me fits with 24/7 pain. I've had every test you can think of, but the doctors can't find anything wrong. I guess at almost 60 now, parts just don't heal so good any more. I'll never give up driving, I'll just have to make adjustments to what I drive ...

ravensjeff 05-14-2011 09:06 AM

Get an auto- NOW!! I got one because of losing left leg in a motorcycle accident. A car's clutch would be way to much pressure (For me any ways) on the remaining part of my leg, even with a prosthetic. Didn't stop me. I'm 6'2", 270 lb, bum left leg, and still ordered a new Camaro (Way-early order-R6P'r) without even knowing if I would fit, or be able to get in and out.

I've had minimal to no problems at all. And I'll tell you what; driving a 650+HP, heavily modified automatic Camaro is a freakin blast. And I still ride my current Harley with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter (Neat looking on a Softail Duece).

Where theres a will, theres a way.

hypurone 05-14-2011 09:11 AM

Seriously man, get an auto. I had the choice and still chose the auto. It has been around for years in the corvettes, it has 3 modes including Tapshift to play with, can be tuned to be even better and is all around a winner!!

It handles HP mods much better than the stick without the need to immediately upgrade the clutch. Piece of cake to launch with minimal wheel hop.

Nothin' to it, but to DO IT!! :chevy:

SGOS252382 05-14-2011 09:15 AM

Your really should get an auto.
I know several guys with your issue (also knee problems) that purchased an automatic for that reason.

The auto is a great car. You can also use the tap shifts if you really want to shift the car yourself. The taps shifts can also be tuned to automatically downshift at pre-determined speeds. My tuner set my car up to automatically drop to 1st gear below 5mph while using the tap shifts. On stock L99 A6s, normally it only drops to 2nd gear from a stop using the tap shifts.

Also, with a few basic mods, the automatic hauls axx.

Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 05-14-2011 09:15 AM

I'm in the same boat RavensJeff is in, I also lost my leg in a motorcycle accident and I wouldn't pass up the oppurtunity to drive this awesome car from Chevy. Do yourself a favor and drive one with an automatic and have some fun.

Supercamaro64 05-14-2011 09:23 AM

thats horrible, but why totally deprive yourself?? sure it wont be the same, but an auto can be a blast too!

David79z28 05-14-2011 09:26 AM

After being tore up in a motorcycle accident, I bought an A6... I love it!!!!

DO IT!!!

nycoupe11 05-14-2011 09:28 AM

Wow man I got choked up for you .. I am getting my Camaro end of may and I just washed my current car for the last time this weekend and I cried.. Been through alot. Hope everything turns out well for you

Sir Nuke 05-14-2011 09:54 AM

Slacker.....sorry to hear this. but seriously, get an auto, and I say this because I was in the same boat starting 6 years ago on May 20th. I was in an accident, not my fault by the way, cracked my scull in the process, I didn't wake up till 12 days later and didn't know what happened, and when I did wake up, I couldn't walk or talk, and had little use of my right arm. I was in the hospital for another month relearning how to walk and talk....after that monthy, I walked out, but it was'nt the same. I have very little feeling in my whole right side, although everything works, I really can't use right foot in the classic way, such that driving a manual was out of the question, and not having that feeking in my arm, made shifting almost impossible too, I would have to look at my hand to know exactly what it was doing, I couldn't FEEL the gears. EVERY car I owned was a manual, all three, one for my wife, two for me......I eneded up having to sell both of them and get something with a AUTO if I even wanted to drive. SO, YES, I feel your pain, but don't go without, maybe its not the same, but its better than doing without.

Overflow 05-14-2011 10:10 AM

Im so sorry. :(

But like everyone is saying, get an auto!

Sevn86 05-14-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacker (Post 3218320)
Well, I had to sell my Camaro. I wasn't going to post this, but there is a story to this. I hurt my back 3 months ago and it's just been sitting in the garage. I have owned and sold a lot of cars in my lifetime (even a 69 RS Camaro and a few Grand Nationals), and I have never felt about a car like I did this one.

My mom cried when I told her, and not fake tears, real ones. She fell in LOVE with my car when I took it over and showed her. With back issues (and those with this affliction can attest) I couldn't push the clutch in- 6 speed manual. I know people will say "Get an auto", but I don't think it will ever be the same.

Chevrolet, you built something special with this car. I can't describe what it is, but the last 2 years of owning it really were great. Thanks. :wub:

PS- I wanted to keep one of the keys. Not for sentimental reasons, but so I could click it. Damn it, that is an affliction thats hard to get over. ;)

I can really feel for you. I sold my car cause my grandma moved in with us and i wasn't able to use my car anymore. I ended up having to take the jeep everywhere cause she had problems getting in and out of my car and only four could sit in the camaro. I was extremely sad when I sold it. It was my first car. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it. The day we sold my car and came home my mom burst out in tears too. I was like mom why are you crying? She said it feels like we lost a family member. I was like, stop your gonna make me cry. I never knew my family was so attached to my car. I thought I was the only one. So the other day I was talking with my dad and a 2012 Camaro might be making its way into my garage again early next year. Im so excited! :happyanim:

RubyCamaro 05-14-2011 10:43 AM

So sorry to hear about your back problems & having to sell your car. But like everyone else is saying. You have to get an auto. This car is more fun to drive than anything else out there. Even the V6 is simply a blast & mods make them even better. Go for it. :happyanim: