Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Engine for Z/28 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237488)

Mikes SS 07-15-2012 05:01 PM

Engine for Z/28

So I have been frequenting the Z/28 section a lot as of lately, really hoping I stumble across some good gouge on the debut of this iconic machine. I have said since '09 this car should have a one-off motor or at least the opportunity to debut a new motor. Yeah call me old fashioned, and duh the Corvette normally gets to debut new technology, but c'mon we all know that there will only be 2 versions of a DI V8 engine, the 5.3L and the 6.2L. I guess the point to all this rambling is, by 2015(if we have to wait that damn long), the LS7 will be old technology and old news, why not use the 6.2DI in the corvette and a badass HI-PO 5.3DI only available for the Camaro? We know these two motors will be stuffed into every V-8 application after arrival, but Corvette and Camaro aren't just any 'ol cars, they are a face of a company and have a following..what do y'all think?

2cnd chance 07-15-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 5292609)
So I have been frequenting the Z/28 section a lot as of lately, really hoping I stumble across some good gouge on the debut of this iconic machine. I have said since '09 this car should have a one-off motor or at least the opportunity to debut a new motor. Yeah call me old fashioned, and duh the Corvette normally gets to debut new technology, but c'mon we all know that there will only be 2 versions of a DI V8 engine, the 5.3L and the 6.2L. I guess the point to all this rambling is, by 2015(if we have to wait that damn long), the LS7 will be old technology and old news, why not use the 6.2DI in the corvette and a badass HI-PO 5.3DI only available for the Camaro? We know these two motors will be stuffed into every V-8 application after arrival, but Corvette and Camaro aren't just any 'ol cars, they are a face of a company and have a following..what do y'all think?

I'd be fine with an above SS 6.2 DI V8, but not a standard 6.2.

Bhobbs 07-15-2012 05:44 PM

If they are only making two Gen V engines, they better release a ton of upgrades that don't void the warranty.

GearBangr 07-15-2012 05:59 PM

Are you talking about 5th gen or 6th?
I wouldn't minda 6.2 di, but would rather have a 7.0di.
I'm not too interested in a 5.3 in a car.
But in a 6th, with the new cafe standards, I can see them using a smaller displacement gen 5 v8 with either turbos or sc. In a 3500lb ats based camaro, it would be awesome.

Mikes SS 07-15-2012 06:18 PM

Yeah that's what I am saying basically..if we have to wait that long for a Z/28, it might as well have the best technology available and not have to wait for a 6th gen to roll around to do so. I know most of you don't have a problem with it, but I just can't see a Z/28 as having the biggest NA motor available that is just not what thais car means to me through all the Gens. Leave that to the SS or ZL1 or COPO, but for heavens sake give me the car in a 5th gen version!!

GearBangr 07-15-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 5292953)
Yeah that's what I am saying basically..if we have to wait that long for a Z/28, it might as well have the best technology available and not have to wait for a 6th gen to roll around to do so. I know most of you don't have a problem with it, but I just can't see a Z/28 as having the biggest NA motor available that is just not what thais car means to me through all the Gens. Leave that to the SS or ZL1 or COPO, but for heavens sake give me the car in a 5th gen version!!

High revving small block. LS7 fits the description. While it is the biggest displacement wise, its not the most powerfull.

Mikes SS 07-15-2012 06:47 PM

Well that's what this forum is all about opinions and discussion right? I know GM frequents these boards, but with normally only 6-10 people posting in he Z/28 section, I bet it really doesn't drum up a whole lot of interest for them on the business side!

Bhobbs 07-15-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearBangr (Post 5293010)
High revving small block. LS7 fits the description. While it is the biggest displacement wise, its not the most powerfull.

The most HP isn't the idea but good power without forced induction is what a lot of people are wanting in the Z28.

GearBangr 07-15-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 5293119)
The most HP isn't the idea but good power without forced induction is what a lot of people are wanting in the Z28.

That was my point too. The more powerful, physicaly bigger and heavier motors are for cars like the zl1 and copo. We would want a lighter more compact engine like the ls7. Since its the same size as the 5.3
It works for the z06, its comparable to the z28.

Bhobbs 07-15-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearBangr (Post 5293165)
That was my point too. The more powerful, physicaly bigger and heavier motors are for cars like the zl1 and copo. We would want a lighter more compact engine like the ls7. Since its the same size as the 5.3
It works for the z06, its comparable to the z28.

Yeah the LS7 is a good fit. If not the LS7, something that revs like it and has the torque needed to get the car moving.

Bad@ssCamaro 07-16-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 5293028)
Well that's what this forum is all about opinions and discussion right? I know GM frequents these boards, but with normally only 6-10 people posting in he Z/28 section, I bet it really doesn't drum up a whole lot of interest for them on the business side!

You can make the argument that even though 6-10 people post regularly, there are a lot more that view them and leave it to experienced people like yourself to do all the talking. ;) :D

Mikes SS 07-16-2012 09:38 AM

well there needs to be a lot more people posting to show GM that there is in fact an interest!!

GearBangr 07-16-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro (Post 5294980)
You can make the argument that even though 6-10 people post regularly, there are a lot more that view them and leave it to experienced people like yourself to do all the talking. ;) :D

I think the reason this subforum is slow is that there have not been any official announcements. Or even any half credible rumors or mules spotted.
If that happens, this forum will spread like a texas grass fire lol.

ZED SLED 07-16-2012 09:42 AM

Is it a 5.3? They were using a 5.5L DI 440hp in the Corvette in the American Lemans series. Talk was, this is going into the C7.