Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   INSTALL OF BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53823)

BLACK10 11-25-2009 04:18 PM

INSTALL OF BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER

11 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I just finished the install of the new Barton Short Throw. I was going to do an install step by step with pic, but there is NO need for one. The instructions with the shifter are VERY nice and clear, complete with pictures. Anyone can install this shifter with the use of basic tools. You wouldn't believe how easy it really is.

I did put the front of the car on ramps and jack stands in the rear. I do recommend unbolting the cross brace that holds the main heat shield in place along with the two 10mm nuts so that you can slide it back to give your self more room. Getting the underside boot back on might be the hardest thing to do, but even that is not to bad. Took about an hour total to do the job.

Now for the test drive..........wow:confused0068:! This is an unbelievable difference! I think this could be the best bang for your buck upgrades you can do on your camaro. It feels like a totally new car the way you can now speed shift and not miss a gear. The adjustable height has to be the best , thought out idea i have ever seen. I put mine about 95% down. (the lower you go the shorter the shift).That's what really sets this shifter apart from the rest. Not only are you able to put multiple types of knobs and rods, but you can custom fit it to the height that works for you.:thumbsup: I went back with the pistol grip/adaptor kit that i got from them earlier. I'll have a video of an in-car drive soon.

Here are the pics. First pic is the only tools you need to remove and install the shifter.(also need a crescent wrench)

JuicedSS 11-25-2009 05:43 PM

Nice. I have been waiting on a review before buying. How is the noise?

tjbusa 11-25-2009 06:51 PM

Glad the install went well, kind of scary pic with the front rt tire not further up on the ramp, looking forward to installing mine.

BlownSS 11-25-2009 07:19 PM

Got mine in the mail today too! it looks like a quality piece of ART!. Im so glad I went with this piece, i have the option to use wither handle and the height adjustability is going to be awesome. Best Bang for the Buck out there!

jeffny09 11-25-2009 07:21 PM

mine came but its in the office where my apt is and i wont be able to get it i hope they are there friday so i can install this weekend
but im kinda pissed-hate delivering stuff to my apt

BlownSS 11-25-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffny09 (Post 1216688)
mine came but its in the office where my apt is and i wont be able to get it i hope they are there friday so i can install this weekend
but im kinda pissed-hate delivering stuff to my apt

Dont be so grumpy....at least you have a camaro to install it into! Mine wont be here until next week

BLACK10 11-25-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicedSS (Post 1216293)
Nice. I have been waiting on a review before buying. How is the noise?

noise is not bad, slight rattle at a certain rpm like Dave stated, but not bad at all. the ball/polished rod is probably quieter
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbusa (Post 1216567)
Glad the install went well, kind of scary pic with the front rt tire not further up on the ramp, looking forward to installing mine.

:laughabove:dont worry, the rear tires were still on the ground.

just installed the second one on TLC9193's punisher, went even easier and quicker.

QUALITY STUFF

tlc9193 11-25-2009 07:56 PM

:thumbup:Ride home was awesome, feels so good its enough to get you in trouble. You want to mash the gas just to hit the quick shifts.

Thanks Black10 even though you a Texans fan.:help:

BLACK10 11-25-2009 08:04 PM

check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOGvOd2XJs

most of the rattle is my dash/interior thanks to the muffler delete:D:D

khislop007 11-25-2009 08:53 PM

Looks nice, I cant wait to get mine next week!!

BLACK10 11-25-2009 10:15 PM

one more vid....

http://www.youtube.com/user/chevyPROSTREET66

Barton Industries 11-26-2009 09:07 AM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Its awesome to see finally see our shifter out on some cars.

tom692010 11-26-2009 09:15 AM

how so low?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK10 (Post 1216792)
noise is not bad, slight rattle at a certain rpm like Dave stated, but not bad at all. the ball/polished rod is probably quieter

:laughabove:dont worry, the rear tires were still on the ground.

just installed the second one on TLC9193's punisher, went even easier and quicker.

QUALITY STUFF

Are you a small dude? I had to lift mine a whole lot higher to get the Hurst on. And the installation is exactally the same. My only difference is I have QTP cutouts that had to be removed first on driver side. I'm 6' 210. Maybe that's the difference.

BLACK10 11-26-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom692010 (Post 1218106)
Are you a small dude? I had to lift mine a whole lot higher to get the Hurst on. And the installation is exactally the same. My only difference is I have QTP cutouts that had to be removed first on driver side. I'm 6' 210. Maybe that's the difference.

6'1" 180, im just good :D

second one only took about 20 mins, didnt even lower the trans mount either!