Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Handling 4th v 5th generation (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38325)

patriotpa 09-01-2009 11:07 AM

The 5th gen SS handles like it's bolted to the road! HUGE improvement over previous gens.

DGthe3 09-01-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarorss350 (Post 870393)
I dont really care about the "numbers" i care about what i see with my own eyes, and what i feel when im driving a car.

Anyone can claim numbers all day, but it doesnt really matter until you drive a car yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 858447)
Often there is a difference between feeling better (be it faster or better handling) and actually being better. Many will say that lighter cars feel faster or handle better, but numbers can sometimes tell a different story. Generally speaking, it seems to be that the 5th gen doesn't feel as good as it actually is.

I didn't really want to say it again

Camarorss350 09-08-2009 08:19 PM

I had a stock RS (L03 305tbi chassis) with good stock components. thats prob why though. Z's were a higher suspension standard (1LE i believe was the code) I would constantly slip out on turns, could have been my combo, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

But like i said, to each his own, i like the new camaro's feel better and quite honestly it could just be because its all new components and maybe the novelty hasn't worn off? i dont know... but just making accusations that the new camaro is horrible handling wise is just not correct...

VASCAR2 09-25-2009 06:29 PM

After getting my new 1LT Camaro Wed and putting about 500 miles on it I can comment about the 4th generation compared to the 5th generation handling. I have a base 94 Camaro 3.4 5-M and drove a B4C police package 99 LS1 Camaro auto as a State Police patrol car for about a year and 50,000 miles. My 1LT definitely handles better and rides better than the stock B4C. I really didn't notice the extra weight of the 5th generation camaro in aggressive driving. I've been doing a hard break in on my 1LT like I did on my new police cars. The V-6 runs real strong and with a good driver could probably keep up with a stock LS1 camaro with a less qualified driver. My 1LT sticks in hard cornering better than any car I've ever driven aggressively. For the money I spent on my 1LT I think its great. The V-6 has the kind of performance and handling I was looking for. If you ever driven the older camaro you can tell the 5th generation has the same linage but is more refined with all the new whiz kid tech stuff (cell phone, I-pod, XM radio ect). The fit and finish is better than any GM car I've owned or driven. For its day the B4C was a great car but I believe the 5th generation are superior.

:)

sway 10-02-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperer (Post 821727)
You think the 4th gen handled better? The 5th gen to me is a thousand time more responsive and handles like a dream.

I actually also think the 4th gens handled better as well. My camaro took cloverleaves at 55 and firebird at 50 (94 vs 98). The 5th gen does em at 46 and wants to break. I notice a lot more body roll- it's higher up. Rides great though and love her.