Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   racing and insurance (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238182)

E.T. 07-18-2012 01:23 PM

racing and insurance
 
I checked with my auto insurance company, and naturally they don't cover any sort of racing. So to you guys who go to the strip once in a while, are you worried about something happening to your car? Are there insurance companies who will cover you at the dragstrip?

tooslow 07-18-2012 01:28 PM

Sure, they exist, but they are not cheap. Usually stated value and around $400/mo.

E.T. 07-18-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooslow (Post 5308123)
Sure, they exist, but they are not cheap. Usually stated value and around $400/mo.

Yikes:confused0068:

So what do you do if you only go a few times a year? Just accept the risk of banging up a 40K car?

Higgs Boson 07-18-2012 02:06 PM

are we talking about the drag strip or a road course?

sometimes insurance companies are ok with you going to a driving event that is advertised as a learning or educational experience (some HPDE track days are like that). You need to run it by them and get/give specifics.

drag strip, no, a normal ins policy isn't going to cover you. the only thing that could happen is hitting the wall or the other driver hitting you. we don't have high powered cars (I mean they are not 2000 HP pro stock cars) and the chances of getting wildly out of control is slim, but it can happen especially at tracks and days when it's run what ya brung, drip fluids down the track night.

pretty much, one just assumes responsibility for his whereabouts and activities much like if you go shoot pool in a dive bar you may get punched in the face (i assume from the movies since I'm no good at pool).

E.T. 07-18-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5308327)
are we talking about the drag strip or a road course?

sometimes insurance companies are ok with you going to a driving event that is advertised as a learning or educational experience (some HPDE track days are like that). You need to run it by them and get/give specifics.

drag strip, no, a normal ins policy isn't going to cover you. the only thing that could happen is hitting the wall or the other driver hitting you. we don't have high powered cars (I mean they are not 2000 HP pro stock cars) and the chances of getting wildly out of control is slim, but it can happen especially at tracks and days when it's run what ya brung, drip fluids down the track night.

pretty much, one just assumes responsibility for his whereabouts and activities much like if you go shoot pool in a dive bar you may get punched in the face (i assume from the movies since I'm no good at pool).

Yeah, I just mean the drag strip. The two things you mentioned (hitting rail, or someone hitting me) seem like the most likely accidents. Honestly, driving around town on the streets and highway actually seems more risky than making a few passes at the strip. Most people around here are driving around oblivious to the world.

Well, at least I won't get punched in the face at the races...and if I did, at least I'd have a helmet:sm0:

jam3 07-18-2012 04:11 PM

If you wreck it... Load it up on a trailer and dump it out on the side of a road in a ditch.
The you avoided a deer.
Simple solution.

Mikamaro 07-18-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3 (Post 5309058)
If you wreck it... Load it up on a trailer and dump it out on the side of a road in a ditch.
The you avoided a deer.
Simple solution.

What about onstar and the first response call? the log data will show your location, no?

NDC123 07-18-2012 04:34 PM

Simple solution don't crash. Seriously, you gotta pay to play that's always a risk so its like going to the casino lol if you can't afford to lose the money then don't go :P

DandD 07-18-2012 06:20 PM

Yes Mikamaro you are correct, Jam3 if you ever have the opportunity to try that let me know how that works out for you:facepalm:. My track insurance is $800 and some change per year and that covers me at any NHRA track for an agreed value of 36k. Search The Hartland Ins Group.

DandD 07-18-2012 06:24 PM

Here's the link E.T.
http://www.hartlandinsurancegroup.com/motorsport.html

scrming 07-18-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5308327)
are we talking about the drag strip or a road course?

sometimes insurance companies are ok with you going to a driving event that is advertised as a learning or educational experience (some HPDE track days are like that). You need to run it by them and get/give specifics.

drag strip, no, a normal ins policy isn't going to cover you. the only thing that could happen is hitting the wall or the other driver hitting you. we don't have high powered cars (I mean they are not 2000 HP pro stock cars) and the chances of getting wildly out of control is slim, but it can happen especially at tracks and days when it's run what ya brung, drip fluids down the track night.

pretty much, one just assumes responsibility for his whereabouts and activities much like if you go shoot pool in a dive bar you may get punched in the face (i assume from the movies since I'm no good at pool).

Actually, i have seen cars that were not particularly "high power" cars wreck! Basically boils down to the guy on street tires who thinks he can "drive out of it" when the tires start spinning... Guy stays in the throttle while both tires start to spin, and then ONE TIRE HOOKS and it immediately turns him towards the wall! If he's lucky he will get out of the throttle quick enough... but I've seen guys still stay in the throttle all the way to the wall!

This is one reason I always leave traction control on... Just in case I forget to get off the gas if I start to spin! If if the TC kills the run, there are plenty of more passes waiting if I don't wreck!

Higgs Boson 07-18-2012 07:32 PM

The last sentence of my second paragraph agrees with you.

scrming 07-18-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5310032)
The last sentence of my second paragraph agrees with you.

Sort of... but for some guys it's like they walk into a dive bar and then PUNCH THEMSELVES IN THE FACE! ;)

Higgs Boson 07-18-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 5310041)
Sort of... but for some guys it's like they walk into a dive bar and then PUNCH THEMSELVES IN THE FACE! ;)

lol, yes i can agree with that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.