Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Subframe bushings diff noise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333911)

c_LoW29 12-23-2013 06:57 PM

Subframe bushings diff noise

Just installed some polyurethane differential bushings and wanted to know if anyone else has them installed and if after the install you are able to hear the driveshaft engaging at low speeds when letting off the accelerator and re applying it. I know there is some slack in the drivetrain in this area just never heard it before with stock bushings. Before anyone asks I ensured all the bolts were very tight to spec of course

lscamaro 12-23-2013 07:10 PM

I assume you're talking about the diff bushings and not the subframe ones? Assuming that's right, the diff bushings are known for transmitting a bit of noise after replacing those.

c_LoW29 12-23-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 7281824)
I assume you're talking about the diff bushings and not the subframe ones? Assuming that's right, the diff bushings are known for transmitting a bit of noise after replacing those.

Yes the diff bushings. It only happens at low speeds like parking lot areas when there is slack in the driveshaft and I take it out by pressing the accelerator it has a tap noise that follows

LS3 SS 12-23-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_LoW29 (Post 7281863)
Yes the diff bushings. It only happens at low speeds like parking lot areas when there is slack in the driveshaft and I take it out by pressing the accelerator it has a tap noise that follows

Generally from what I've seen on the forums, a lot of guys only upgrade the cradle bushings, and leave the diff bushings alone for the reason you made this thread. I just got my poly bushings, but I didn't order the diff bushings, just the cradle ones. You get added NVH when you replace the diff bushings.

c_LoW29 12-23-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3 SS (Post 7281910)
Generally from what I've seen on the forums, a lot of guys only upgrade the cradle bushings, and leave the diff bushings alone for the reason you made this thread. I just got my poly bushings, but I didn't order the diff bushings, just the cradle ones. You get added NVH when you replace the diff bushings.

Ok so then it is normal just wanted to get some feedback from people that have actually used them and has the same issue

Apex Motorsports 12-23-2013 08:08 PM

Yes, it is completely normal. If you put stiffer bushings on the diff you are going to hear gear/drivetrain noise.

tanur420 12-23-2013 08:22 PM

How noticeable is the diference?

Apex Motorsports 12-23-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanur420 (Post 7282012)
How noticeable is the diference?

It depends on the bushings you go with and even then can vary from car to car depending on how the gears are set up.

AG1LE 12-23-2013 08:36 PM

Any chance an aggressive exhaust note might cover the added noise?

spd2612 12-26-2013 10:07 AM

Drive Line Noise

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMWNERW (Post 7282048)
Any chance an aggressive exhaust note might cover the added noise?

No the exhaust will not cover it up I have done the diff bushings and Phadt sub frame mounts and my car sounds like a four link car I don't really like the drive line noise but I guess sacrifices just have to be made for performance

Just a note I have 3 inch exhaust with a large cam and you would not want a exhaust any louder than mine and I still here all the drive line noise ( some wining from gears, clunk from drive line slack and some clutch pak noise

SOO if you dont want the noise leave the stock diff mounts

SUX2BU 12-26-2013 12:29 PM

The radio at regular volume covers the noise quite well. Definitely worth it though. You should look up videos of how much the rear end moves with stock bushings.

Black Knight 03-01-2016 06:10 PM

Any body have a incabin video of the noise . ???I have some whiteline diffrentral bushing I never installed Becase I wasn't sure how loud it would be .

BFASTNOTLAST 03-02-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Knight (Post 8938820)
Any body have a incabin video of the noise . ???I have some whiteline diffrentral bushing I never installed Becase I wasn't sure how loud it would be .

I do, Pm me your email and I will send you a you tube link. Its very noticeable.

BMR Sales 03-02-2016 10:18 AM

This is normal. You have to understand that there is movement & vibration in the Diff and this is absorbed by the Soft Rubber Bushings. When you upgrade the Bushings to a harder material (High Durameter Poly or Solid Delrin), the Noise & Vibration are not able to be absorbed by these materials and when therefore be transmitted through the car.