Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   HELP! Water Leak Into Rear Passenger Compartment (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156831)

theNYX 07-05-2011 06:33 PM

HELP! Water Leak Into Rear Passenger Compartment

So, the other day a friend of mine noticed a small puddle in the rear right passenger carpet following a full day's worth of rain. Of course, I freaked out and used up two whole rolls of paper towels, a Shamwow, and two real towels to soak up most of the water (the carpet was still moist even after all that). I brought the car into the dealership today and they called me later to tell me I had an aftermarket alarm installed, that is what caused the leak, and therefore the warranty would not cover the repairs. I inform them I didn't have an alarm put in, rather I had the factory alarm and that was it. They told me they'd look into it.

I then get a call back being told that the firewall grommet had a hole drilled in it where a wire was run through it, and that is where the water came in, thus soaking my carpet/jute. I had the CamaroScanners/KnightLight kit installed in my car professionally. The only thing that I saw was run through the grommet was one single wire that ended in a red LED that serves as a status/power light for the scanner light in the front of my car.

The cost? $600 in labor to repair/replace the grommet and dry out the carpet/jute. If there is mold found, no telling how much to replace the carpet/jute on top of that. I'm being told the water damage in the REAR of the car is being caused by a leak in the FRONT of the car. How does this make sense? Can a small (quarter-inch) hole in the grommet really cause this much damage, or is there something more to this (like a TSB, which they told me "didn't apply to my car") that I should be looking into?

I'm really at the end of my rope here, as I'm about to be out over $600 and I don't know what to do. Please please please help me out here, I need advice.

The Stig 07-05-2011 06:36 PM

:bs:

If that was the case, how did the water get to the back of the car without getting the front of the car wet? Hmm, it's a tricky question I know. I'd go to another dealer.

theNYX 07-05-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3426930)
:bs:

If that was the case, how did the water get to the back of the car without getting the front of the car wet? Hmm, it's a tricky question I know. I'd go to another dealer.

The lead technician showed me the car torn apart with no seats, carpet, etc. The floor in our cars actually slants down toward the back of the car; perhaps capillary action and gravity coupled with a hot day? I don't know, I didn't feel around the entirety of my carpet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sterling 07-05-2011 06:48 PM

Does your car have a sunroof? There is a common problem with the drain line that empties into the edge of the trunk area from the sunroof. If it gets clogged, the water ends up in the rear passenger carpet. I'd have that checked... and I think their explanation is a load of crap.

theNYX 07-05-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling (Post 3426986)
Does your car have a sunroof? There is a common problem with the drain line that empties into the edge of the trunk area from the sunroof. If it gets clogged, the water ends up in the rear passenger carpet. I'd have that checked... and I think their explanation is a load of crap.

Negative, no sunroof. I know it's a load of crap, but what can I do/say now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sterling 07-05-2011 08:53 PM

the only other problem I'm aware of is a possible bad heater core... but again that should be wet on the front passengers carpet and it will have antifreeze in it...

theNYX 07-08-2011 11:30 PM

More information to come, but I had the absolute WORST treatment I have EVER had at a dealership. First they tried to charge me for a diagnostic to put my car back together without telling me or giving me an estimate first. They then didn't even put the car/seat back together properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2SS BUMBLBE 07-08-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling (Post 3427528)
the only other problem I'm aware of is a possible bad heater core... but again that should be wet on the front passengers carpet and it will have antifreeze in it...

Blown heater core would smell sweet like antifreeze and the moisture would be greasy/sticky.

Wanna-Play 07-14-2011 07:33 PM

Get your Dealer too check your AC drain tube, mine did the same as yours, water in passenger side rear, they just drop the rear tranny mount and reach up and centre the tube and all is well,

Rock-It Man 07-15-2011 08:42 AM

I don't get it. Some third party drilled a hole in your car, and you are mad at the dealer?

Joyfuljoy2000 08-21-2011 02:46 PM

I have a 2010 Camaro I have had it for about 8 months now. Two days ago my daughter said mom your floorboard in the back passenger side is soaked. Sure enough totally soaked even the floor mat! I totally freaked out, because nobody is even allowed to BREATHE in my car. It was a day with a huge rain storm (Florida). However I cant figure out where its coming from. I driend it with towels but now my car smells terrible. I just want to cry. Ill be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I was checking here to see how many other people had this issue. Im just glad to see I am not the only one. No convertible, no t tops. Any input would help..Thanks.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 08-22-2011 08:53 AM

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your vehicle Joyful. Let us know how things go for you at your dealer.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

woodstock 08-22-2011 09:12 AM

I would get it on a lift and look for a pin hole in the pans ,possibly where two pans join. If you drive through water the undercarriage gets soaked and a pinhole will soak up the water.