Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you buy a car to only keep for 6 months? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166579)

armando416 08-21-2011 04:09 PM

Would you buy a car to only keep for 6 months?

So I have the option of buying a cyber gray 2SS convertible for only $33,000 (plus taxes). Given how hot the used car market is and how well these cars are retaining their value, it's a steal. So my question is, do you think I should go though the hassle of buying a car (also need to have it shipped from DC to Jacksonville, FL) to only keep it 6 months? I've never had a convertible before and want to see how I like it. But even if I love it, I'd probably want to get it in RJT or IBM if it was going to be a car I'd keep forever. Plus, the car isn't configured exactly as I want--I've always liked the idea of planning ahead, have the dealership order the car and wait 6 weeks to get EXACTLY what you want. I figure at this price, though, I could sell it in 6 months and probably almost break even (maybe in May or so at peak convertible selling season). I've heard these go for the high $30s at auction right now. So, is it worth the effort (and being involved in the nasty business of buying a car)? Would you go through the ordeal knowing you'll be getting rid of it a few months later?

Baba 08-21-2011 04:30 PM

If it's not configured the way you want it why even compromise, in particular if you know you're probably going to buy the car you really want in less than a year?

RJT & IBM might be difficult to get paint work done until the paint availability situation is remedied. If you're not familiar with the "'vert life", visit a couple of dealers and do some test drives and lots of reading and video watching.

If I were in a position similar to yours, I would not buy a vehicle (in particular a used one at such a price (and "sight unseen"(?)) that I know I wouldn't be keeping just so I could get into "a car" sooner. If you can afford to take a loss at trade-in time next year, that's got to be your decision. Only you know what you can or cannot afford. Fiscally, it doesn't make any sense. Frankly, it doesn't make any sense at all (to me).

BowlingSS 08-21-2011 04:38 PM

I would wait until you can get what you what.Rent one for a week to see how you like it. I ordered mine last year and waited two plus months but I got want I wanted. I also like the RJT.

Bill

upflying 08-21-2011 04:52 PM

The first year of car ownership is the most expensive. You lose 9% of value just driving a new car off the lot. Reconsider your plan.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/ho...fographic.html

TJ91 08-21-2011 04:58 PM

I would wait

SlingShot 08-21-2011 05:03 PM

I'd wait because your gonna loose just on Tax, Tag & Title alone ...

Nightfall 08-21-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 3649062)
I'd wait because your gonna loose just on Tax, Tag & Title alone ...

:word: what he said i agree the cost of the car is not the end of the money trail to get the car

Caspers2SSRS 08-21-2011 05:42 PM

You've presented us with a scenario similar to one of a dead mans last wish..............."bucket List" with a six month window.

You never mentioned the initial cost associated with the purchase being a issue. Just mentioned the great price 33k...........I'll assume by your statements the monetary concerns of profit or loss as well are really nil at the conclusion of the six months.

This only leaves the portion of your post regarding whether or not it would be worth the ordeal of owning the car for such a short time.............assuming once again, you meant it being either or some form of a exciting, comfortable, enjoyable or practical mode of personal transportation.

Absolutely......................

Kahdir 08-21-2011 05:45 PM

Hold off, get what you actually want.

Mojave 08-21-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahdir (Post 3649204)
Hold off, get what you actually want.

:word:

coolman 08-21-2011 05:50 PM

I've bought cars and have gotten rid of them in way less than six months. You loose money there's no doubt ,but when you got the car bug it's hard to think sensible. You know what you can afford to loose better than us. You just have to decide the lost money is worth the enjoyment.

GoBlue20 08-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armando416 (Post 3648895)
So I have the option of buying a cyber gray 2SS convertible for only $33,000 (plus taxes). Given how hot the used car market is and how well these cars are retaining their value, it's a steal. So my question is, do you think I should go though the hassle of buying a car (also need to have it shipped from DC to Jacksonville, FL) to only keep it 6 months? I've never had a convertible before and want to see how I like it. But even if I love it, I'd probably want to get it in RJT or IBM if it was going to be a car I'd keep forever. Plus, the car isn't configured exactly as I want--I've always liked the idea of planning ahead, have the dealership order the car and wait 6 weeks to get EXACTLY what you want. I figure at this price, though, I could sell it in 6 months and probably almost break even (maybe in May or so at peak convertible selling season). I've heard these go for the high $30s at auction right now. So, is it worth the effort (and being involved in the nasty business of buying a car)? Would you go through the ordeal knowing you'll be getting rid of it a few months later?

I had a car for only 6 months once, but my story is a little different. I was ready to mix things up a bit.

I traded in my 09 G8 GT for a 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe. I bought it off the lot... and after a while I felt like I settled just to make a change. Then I realized $40k didn't get me too much. I had NO bluetooth, NO heated seats, NO iPod or USB port... what I DID get was a neat looking Cadillac (IMO) that no one else had and BAD gas mileage for a V6 (80%ish highway driving and made 20mpg).

The Cadillac got OLD QUICK to me... I made better gas mileage with my G8 AND the G8 moved a whole lot faster. I kind of flirted with the idea of getting a SS. So I build one online, took the paper to the dealership, and in a month or so my SS was here, and it was 100% exactly how I wanted it. I went under on the trade in, but made up most of it on GMS Opt 1 pricing. So I'm alot happier with THIS car. I have all the options I want and still get better gas mileage than the Cadillac lol

The_Blur 08-21-2011 06:14 PM

Don't buy it if you don't really want it.

Maker 08-21-2011 06:17 PM

Figure out the resale value, if you are getting a vert for 33k, I'm pretty sure you could sell it in 6 months and actually make a profit.