Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Very poorly worded memo from GM - no more use of the term "Chevy" (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88714)

arod55 06-10-2010 04:46 PM

CHEVY

CHEVY has been used for decade's. Chevy, baseball and apple pie is an American tradition. What wrong with these idiots. " Took my Chevy to the levee and the levee was dry". What a great song!!!!!!. :chevy::chevy::chevy:

justmeron 06-10-2010 04:48 PM

like Dick for Richard?

ps-gunkie 06-10-2010 04:51 PM

I wish everyone would read the entire first post before posting about how catastrophic it is, because it's really nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brAnd7onX (Post 1968807)
I wasn't saying it was. But did you see the video? That's my point they want to advertise Chevrolet but then why do they advertise Chevy in their commercials? Just doesn't make any sense...

It does make sense, they sent this memo out throughout their own company to notify everyone about how they're just gonna use Chevrolet in everything, be it speeches, advertising, whatever. Just to inform everyone about a small change in their marketing strategy.

I don't get what everyone's getting so worked up about, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with any of us! It could just as well have been a memo about a new coffee machine being installed, would you get that upset about that? No, didn't think so.

This is exactly why these memos are internal, people get upset over something they misinterpret and blow it up into something it's not.

FenwickHockey65 06-10-2010 05:08 PM

People are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. GM could care less if people still refer to the brand as Chevy, they're just going to start using "Chevrolet" in marketing and press releases and stuff.

Camaro_Corvette 06-10-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 1969550)
People are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. GM could care less if people still refer to the brand as Chevy, they're just going to start using "Chevrolet" in marketing and press releases and stuff.

:word:It's really no big deal. But I do like the Poll:laugh:

Supercamaro64 06-10-2010 05:27 PM

This is really stupid. theres no difference. Its just a preferance thing. Its no big deal. And actually i kinda like the commercials that say "chevy"

USAFJeeper 06-10-2010 05:35 PM

I understand their reasoning. I also vehemently disagree with it. We have people on this board from all over the world. Are they confused? It looks like the guys at Chevy (Sorry GM!) decided to hire some pinhead marketing guys who dont really understand the history of the company and its fans.

I bet they all drive Prius' and Honda Civics :)

Angrybird 12 06-10-2010 05:36 PM

Well lets forget this Chevy/ Chevrolet thing and get to ragging on anyone that uses the term "Maro" (YUK) when speaking about the CAMARO...
That is Much worse in my opinion...:laugh:

COPO_Chevy 06-10-2010 05:38 PM

Like I stated on the other thread on the same subject..

I don't see it being that big of a deal(or even a deal at all..)..their not forcing everyone to stop using Chevy and to say Chevrolet..it's just in their marketing department that they will be use Chevrolet in their adds. Honostly, I can see and understand why they did it, just feels more professional and carries more of a statement.(IMO)

I guess goes to show how far the media will take something and twist it. Seems like alot of articles on this subject try to make it seem as if GM is making it a crime for everyone to say the word Chevy..and its not really true at all...:thumbdown:

Number 3 06-10-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuttduck (Post 1967609)
This coming from a company that would spell employee "employe" to save printing costs.

I'm not sure if that is still done, but hey, Chevy could save on printing costs as well.

20 years ago, and I do believe employe is an acceptable spelling. At least according to Websters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnvyTerra (Post 1967826)
How bored do you have to be to think of this? I thought GM would be much busier with more important things.

Developing a consistent brand image is VERY important. What they are saying is you CAN NOT achieve that if you have some ads that say Chevy and others that say Chevrolet.

Did you know we hold clinics and we actually have people say, "I'd never buy a GM in a million years, but that new Chevrolet is pretty nice". You need a consistent message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain (Post 1967944)
They pay some idiot the equivalent of 10 new Chevy Camaros to come up with that dumb idea.

Come on now Captain........you think the person that came up with that idea makes $350,000 a year? You either know them or you way overestimate how much GM pays.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 1969169)
They're going to market their official name of the brand, rather than the nickname. Its not that big of a deal. I don't know why they think its a good idea, but I don't know why so many people care either. Makes no difference to me if I see an ad for a Chevrolet Malibu or a Chevy Silverado

I've never seen GM refer to GMC as Jimmy, though they acknowledged the WWII era nickname by using it on a now defunked SUV, but they never said "Introducing the all new Jimmy Sierra". Likewise, I don't think they've used "Caddy Escalade" or "Poncho Firebird" in any advertising either.

:word:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arod55 (Post 1969446)
CHEVY has been used for decade's. Chevy, baseball and apple pie is an American tradition. What wrong with these idiots. " Took my Chevy to the levee and the levee was dry". What a great song!!!!!!. :chevy::chevy::chevy:

I believe the official GM ad went, "baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and CHEVROLET".

Take your Chevy to the levy, although a great song, was not a GM jingle.

AZCamaroFan 06-10-2010 05:55 PM

See the USA in your Chevrolet
and while you do that you can sing ,"it's the heartbeat of America, that's today's Chevrolet"

Inuyashas_Brother 06-10-2010 05:56 PM

As a first time GM owner, I like Chevrolet better because when I think "chevy" I think pick up trucks, and I guess GM wants to appeal to a wider audience.

Tridon 06-10-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 1968341)
Boy you guys take things tooo seriously.. I mean it was meant for advertising, internal memos and such, not for all of us Chevy Faithful.
You need to remember that they are now selling Chevrolets all over the world, and the term "Chevy" is mostly an American Nickname.. So instead of having to write separate corporate memos for domestic and foreign markets, they ask their people to refrain from using the Term "Chevy" because it is not recognized worldwide. that is all it is about...

:word: You don't see BMW marketing their cars around the world as Bimmer.

incustody 06-10-2010 05:59 PM

Chevy is back. ... a mis understanding :) ...Let's say I have always and always will be a Chevy man !!!!!! You think they would have learned from Coke....

thesnoopster 06-10-2010 06:02 PM

I grew on the word Chevy....its glued in me .... but in my heart I know its a Chevrolet.....LOL.....as long as it got the bowtie .... its either a Chevy or a Chevrolet to me.... thats all I got to say about that :D

USAFJeeper 06-10-2010 06:07 PM

Hey now lets watch those redneck comments! If you break down on a highway you sure are glad to see that redneck pull over and fix your car for ya, for free, then invite you over for dinner!

GNVenom 06-10-2010 06:07 PM

This whole dialogue smells suspiciously of "media awareness" advertising. The more people see Chevy or Chevrolet when reading today's current news, the more people will flock in to the showrooms.

Oldest trick in the book - subliminal and in your face all at the same time. Bad press, good press, doesn't matter, it's all the same in the advertising world.

Angrybird 12 06-10-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 1969678)
Take your Chevy to the levy, although a great song, was not a GM jingle.

They did use it in a commercial a while back, i remember it...
in fact they used it several times

rickerda 06-10-2010 06:29 PM

It is a big deal since they should be focus on more important issues then what their nickname is. This is just a waste of time and isn't going to change anything. The only thing it did was get them in the news.

also: http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...ion_chevy.html

Also I don't see BMW insisting they be called Bavarian Motor Works, since BM has a negative cognition.

hairtrigger 06-10-2010 06:46 PM

Is the Challenger a Mopar? Is the Mustang a Ford (can't shorten that one up)!

Is the Camaro a Chevy? Hell YA!!
At least they didn't want us to call it a Sonota:barf::sm0:

Number 3 06-10-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 1969789)
They did use it in a commercial a while back, i remember it...
in fact they used it several times

touche'

But the point isn't what they did, it's more what to do in the future to create that consistency of brand awareness.

The market is getting very crowded and having a clear brand and name recognition is becoming increasingly important. There is a Chinese automaker named Chery. Chery....Chevy.....Chery. So I think GM is trying to create a consistent awareness of Chevrolet. After all, the guys name wasn't Louis Chevy now was it.;)

fourmz 06-10-2010 06:53 PM

Does that mean GM can't call a Cadillac a "Caddy" anymore either? B.S.!

skuttduck 06-10-2010 06:54 PM

Has this one been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaQXQmkMFGc

Angrybird 12 06-10-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 1969941)
touche'

But the point isn't what they did, it's more what to do in the future to create that consistency of brand awareness.

The market is getting very crowded and having a clear brand and name recognition is becoming increasingly important. There is a Chinese automaker named Chery. Chery....Chevy.....Chery. So I think GM is trying to create a consistent awareness of Chevrolet. After all, the guys name wasn't Louis Chevy now was it.;)

I wonder if he was called Chevy for short? or Louie?... more than likely back in those days he was either Mr. Chevrolet, or Louis...

I still think all this normal people getting so worked up over a stupid memo about marketing and internal communications is really funny... It isn't going to change what we call our cars one bit, so what's all the fuss about?