Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   My Camaro Story (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882)

GSmithPharmD08 12-17-2009 01:33 AM

My Camaro Story

First of all, before I begin this, I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to the Camaro5 community of avid fans and owners of our beloved Camaro (no matter the generation!):chevy:

I am going to first tell my story and then chronicle delivery and mods... So bare with me!

My fascination with Camaro dates back to when I was 15 (I'm 26 now) when cars first came into my life. The obsession started with a story from my dad. When I was 15, he told me of his first car, a Green '70 Camaro Z/28. This wasn't just any car, it was one that he built himself. He loved the car more than anything. He had the car for a couple of years and then sold it for something more economical (as he was settling down). He regrets to this day selling that car... He truely did love it. Hell, who could blame him ;) His passion, in the stories of his car, were enough to spurn my own fascination with Camaro.

So as I began to look for my first car (2001) I found that Camaro wasn't in my price range, not even a used one. So I settled for less, for what I could afford being a young high school kid with a limited bank roll, but I still dreamed... Then the fateful year of 2002 came and it was announced Camaro would no longer be made and I was CRUSHED! (As a lot of people were) But I knew that it would come back. I was graduating HS in 2002 and going in to a 6 year pharmacy program This was when I told myself I know Camaro will come back, and it will be when I graduate pharmacy school, when I am making enough money to afford a NEW Camaro...

As we all know the history of the 5th Gen.... Here we are in 2009... I was entirely hyped up about the design and the prospect of potentially being able to purchase this bad a$$ machine, but I wasn't completely sold... Then I found Camaro5... What an awesome resource for everything about this car. I joined in early July of this year, but I lurked a month prior to joining, and lurked for months after joining as well, just trying to absorb as much as possible... Then came the decision to take the dive and I ordered from Apple Chevrolet in York, PA on August 21 of this year. I ordered a Black 2SS/RS w/ IO interior and 20" polished aluminum wheels.

It was a long wait, as most everyone on here has had (even more in some instances for other people (R6P):respekt:) I finally took delivery on December 10. This ENTIRE time I have not told one family member of my purchase in anticipation of surprising my dad (excruciatingly hard to do given the excitement I have about this car). My plan is to ride home on Christmas eve and surprise everyone with my new ride!

As I lurked, there was a lot of information on rally stripes. After A LOT of research and time, I decided I wanted IOM stripes on my Black 2SS, and I wanted them painted on and to wrap over the "Mailslot" and the rear spoiler. And the design took even longer to find, but one fateful day in the many hours I have spent on here, I found what I was looking for! Member Third1 has the PERFECT design IMO, and it is found here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32132
He was gracious enough to provide measurements of the stripes so they could be recreated on my car!:respekt:

I tried to find the right place to do the stripes and to recreate the design, but there was only one that I felt confident with after talking to quite a few places... Ourisman Chevrolet in Rockville, MD. So the night I took delivery, I drove my new obsession 100 miles to Ourisman to have the stripes designed and painted on! They started the task on Tuesday the 15th and it should be completed on the weekend and I will be taking redelivery of my baby on Tuesday the 22nd! This is just in time for my trek home for Christmas to rattle the windows at my home and announce my arrival!:thumbup:

Anyway without further ramblings, here are my associated pictures!

GSmithPharmD08 12-17-2009 01:37 AM

Delivery Pictures

4 Attachment(s)
Delivery was awesome and unique... They had my car waiting for me in the showroom. It was covered with a car cover and it had a bow on top. As we were doing the paperwork, they took the cover off and there she was... :)

Attachment 80515

Attachment 80516

Attachment 80517

Attachment 80518

GSmithPharmD08 12-17-2009 01:45 AM

Body Shop: Day 1

4 Attachment(s)
This was awesome! They called me up and asked me to come in and help them with laying the lines. They did the hard part, I just helped ensure the lines were the way I wanted them.:thumbup:

Attachment 80519

Attachment 80520

Attachment 80521

Attachment 80522

GSmithPharmD08 12-17-2009 01:51 AM

Body Shop: Day 2

4 Attachment(s)
Today they told me to come in if I wanted to see the paint on the hood... OF COURSE I WENT IN!:D I have to say, IOM looks AMAZING on Black... I can't wait until tomorrow when they paint the nose, trunk, and spoiler!!!:happyanim:

Attachment 80523

Attachment 80524

Attachment 80525

Attachment 80526

Mr. Wyndham 12-17-2009 02:04 AM

Very cool!!! :clap:
(That is a very hot color combo)

Thanks for sharing!

Lydon 12-18-2009 10:04 AM

Awesome story. Can't wait to see the final pix. Congratulations.

tjbusa 12-18-2009 10:12 AM

Congrats for sure, lots of permagrin there

Walter Sobchak 12-18-2009 10:33 AM

Lot's o reading, but you look like one happy guy :thumbsup:

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-18-2009 10:38 AM

Congrats!! :w00t::cool::thumbsup:

ArtfulDodger 12-18-2009 12:30 PM

Congratulations!!!

StealthMan 12-18-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSmithPharmD08 (Post 1293975)
This was awesome! They called me up and asked me to come in and help them with laying the lines. They did the hard part, I just helped ensure the lines were the way I wanted them.:thumbup:

Attachment 80519

Attachment 80520

Attachment 80521

Attachment 80522

Cool...! What's with the barefoot woman putting the tape on your hood? :laugh:

Nostromo 12-18-2009 10:11 PM

I admire your motivation. I hope that you have many safe and happy experiences in your new Camaro. You did a nice job telling your story in pictures.

GSmithPharmD08 12-21-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 1293987)
Very cool!!! :clap:
(That is a very hot color combo)

Thanks for sharing!

Thank You!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lydon (Post 1298176)
Awesome story. Can't wait to see the final pix. Congratulations.

It will be 2 short days! I am so excited!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbusa (Post 1298199)
Congrats for sure, lots of permagrin there

Indeed there was! I was frozen+excited+ HUGE permagrin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak (Post 1298271)
Lot's o reading, but you look like one happy guy :thumbsup:

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS (Post 1298289)
Congrats!! :w00t::cool::thumbsup:

:D Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtfulDodger (Post 1298780)
Congratulations!!!

Thank You!!:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthMan (Post 1299595)
Cool...! What's with the barefoot woman putting the tape on your hood? :laugh:

:laughabove:BAAAHAHAHAA!! Thanks for noticing! That is Brandi from Ourisman... She has been integral in this whole project. She is amazing at what she does, not quite sure what she can't do!

Side note... Her shoes (heels) are laying to the right in the picture!... LOL:sm0:

Brandi... if you are reading this... You Rock!:respekt:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostromo (Post 1301101)
I admire your motivation. I hope that you have many safe and happy experiences in your new Camaro. You did a nice job telling your story in pictures.

Thank you very much for the well wishes! I can't wait for the journey to begin!:happyanim:

GSmithPharmD08 12-21-2009 08:39 PM

Body Shop: Day 3-6

5 Attachment(s)
Due to so minor setbacks and acts of God... the project was delayed a few days... not to worry... we are on track and I am anxious as ever!!!

The last few days were dedicated to laying the stripe lines on the trunk/spoiler... They were initially laid on Friday 12/18... I went to go and look at the work, and the lines were initially very pleasing (the lines were of the right design) however upon nit picking (by me) I decided they were a tad too thin and wanted them widened a bit further... (SORRY BRANDI!) But with respect for my wishes Brandi did an excellent job and re-laid the perfect stripes she had laid before... just a bit wider (1/4") this time...

Let me just stop here again and say Brandi at Ourisman has been amazing in this whole process and has been EXTRAORDINARILY attentive to my ideas and wants with these stripes:respekt:

So she started to re-lay the lines on the car LATE Friday... so late that they actually set the alarm on her because they didn't know that she was still there!:facepalm: Once the alarm went off, it ended her night... So over the subsequent 24 hours from setting the alarm off, we got about 14-24" of snow here in MD (depending where you were). Some may say, "so what?"... Well Brandi also runs a collision center (crunchy cars) which there were a plenty on Monday AM that came in (in her words) "on a hook"... so in the midst of all of this work coming in, she still found time to lay the PERFECT lines for the rear... So without further ado... ENJOY!!!

Attachment 81678
Attachment 81679
Attachment 81680
Attachment 81681
Attachment 81682