Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Driveshaft hitting heat shield? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199011)

yotaman96 01-31-2012 11:03 PM

Driveshaft hitting heat shield?

I have a 3.5" one piece driveshaft. I was getting a bad vibration during acceleration and also a horrible noise while driving. I found that the driveshaft was hitting the top heat shield. I contacted the manufacturer and they had me send the shaft in for inspection. Come to find out, a piece was left out during assembly. They refurbished the shaft and sent it back to me. I reinstalled it, but I'm still getting the noise like it's rubbing the heat shield. The manufacturer says they've never had a driveshaft hit that shield, so something must be wrong with my car. What could cause this? Anyone else had this issue? Thanks.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...S/075d872a.jpg

yotaman96 02-01-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DietTab (Post 4409641)
Take the shield off

That doesn't fix the issue. That's the shield that is attached to the gas tank. It shouldn't have to be removed.

kmcd 02-01-2012 10:19 AM

Can you bend the heat shield to get your clearance?

yotaman96 02-01-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcd (Post 4411181)
Can you bend the heat shield to get your clearance?

Looking at it with the car on a lift, there's plenty of clearance. When driving, it rubs and I get the noise. As soon as I relieve any stress on it by pushing the clutch in or going to neutral, the noise stops. The driveshaft manufacturer says out of the 100's they've sold, I'm the only one that has had this issue. They're convinced something on my car has broken. With the car on the lift, I can't move the driveshaft up and down at all by hand.

kmcd 02-03-2012 11:38 AM

One thing to consider: Even though our differential is theoretically stationary because of the independent rear suspension, I still think it will be slightly lower on the lift (relative to the gas tank) because you're subtracting a couple of thousand pounds that would normally push it up and adding several hundred pounds of wheels and suspension that are now pulling it down. I don't know if the difference would be great enough to explain your problem or not.

Of course, I'm making the assumption that you're lifting it by the frame. If it's a drive-up lift, it obviously won't affect your clearance.

kmcd 02-03-2012 11:41 AM

The drive shaft will also move slightly as the engine torques, which would explain why it only occurs when it's under a load. If you could modify that shield slightly, it might cure your problem.

PQ 02-07-2012 03:47 PM

What about the transmission mounts?

yotaman96 02-07-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4445080)
What about the transmission mounts?

No issue that I can find. The marks on the heat shield were due to a part being left off the driveshaft when it was assembled. I had to send the driveshaft back and it was rebuilt. I was still getting the noise, so I assumed it was still hitting. I took the heat shield completely out and went down the road. I could still hear the noise. I noticed one of my aftermarket axles was leaking worse than usual. The axle has started to slide out of the differential. I'm hoping that's the noise I'm now hearing. Wish me luck.

PQ 02-07-2012 05:34 PM

:emoticon14:

kmcd 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 4445388)
No issue that I can find. The marks on the heat shield were due to a part being left off the driveshaft when it was assembled. I had to send the driveshaft back and it was rebuilt. I was still getting the noise, so I assumed it was still hitting. I took the heat shield completely out and went down the road. I could still hear the noise. I noticed one of my aftermarket axles was leaking worse than usual. The axle has started to slide out of the differential. I'm hoping that's the noise I'm now hearing. Wish me luck.

Let us know how it turns out. :thumbsup:

yotaman96 03-07-2012 03:53 PM

Reinstalling the axle did not fix my problem. I had the car on the dyno yesterday and the operator felt the vibration. He said it felt like a bad u-joint. I'm also wondering if my pinion bearing was damaged when the driveshaft was hitting the heat shield. I'm tired of uninstalling and reinstalling stuff to try an figure this out.

PQ 03-07-2012 04:24 PM

Shit.

Maybe the bolts on the drive shaft? :iono:

austinjames 03-07-2012 04:25 PM

Driveshaft hitting heat shield?

thats what she said

yotaman96 03-07-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4605591)
Shit.

Maybe the bolts on the drive shaft? :iono:

It's a 1 piece aluminum shaft. Nothing wrong with the bolts.