Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series exhaust (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964)

caverman 02-09-2010 02:42 PM

My ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series exhaust

7 Attachment(s)
This is the documentation of my ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series axle-back system. Although it won’t be 100% as good it should be real close at approximately ½ the cost or less. Plus, I have read in a few threads how the factory exhaust seems to be very efficient but quiet so using our factory pipes should work well enough.

This is what I’ll be attempting to replicate. If you shop around you can pick up this system for about $945. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=126

This is also very similar to the SOLO Mach-X system which is $750 delivered. I was on the fence with just buying the SOLO system but I figured I could save myself the cost of the Hurst Shifter I plan on getting. Again…I know that the SOLO system would ultimately be better but I’m limited on $$$ and if this works out I’m going to feel better about getting it done at such a reasonable price.

I’ve ordered an LS3 but the same can be done on an L99.

Here is the plan:
-Remove factory H-Pipe and replace with Magnaflow resonated X-pipe (#1386)
-Remove the factory resonators
-Do a muffler delete using the 4” Magnaflow tips (#35121)

I asked members on this forum in the TX sub-group about muffler shops and I eventually found one that quoted a muffler delete for $80 and X-pipe install for about $100 depending on needed pipe. I’m going to be conservative and say $150+$80+tax for ~$250 to install.

I ordered my parts from JDP Motorsports and got a great deal. So far I have $173 in parts to my door. With the estimated $250 install I should be able to get this done for about $425 or possibly less. I really like the looks of the Magnaflow tips but I could have saved myself almost $100 if I wanted to use the factory tips. IMO I think the Maganaflow tips look a lot better and it’s worth the extra money for these.

The parts came in today and I’m really excited to get my car now. I should be picking it up in about a week and I plan on going to the muffler shop the day I get it or maybe the next day. The tips were larger looking than I expected. I can only imagine how big the 5” must look on Magnaflow’s axle-back system.

Here are some pics to start with and I plan on documenting everything along the way and will eventually get some sounds clips to go with it as well. The pics of the inside of the #1386 didn’t come out as well as I liked but I can definitely see the X inside the muffler and from the pics you can see how it is perforated.

caper 02-09-2010 02:50 PM

yep, thats what i am gonna do too, except i used stock tips, and will be using the non resonated xpipe (i think) - see how it all works out :)

caverman 02-09-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caper (Post 1465899)
yep, thats what i am gonna do too, except i used stock tips, and will be using the non resonated xpipe (i think) - see how it all works out :)

If you don't have your X-Pipe yet you might want to consider using the #11386. It should help out with some of the decel popping you'll get with the non-resonated one.

Also....the way I looked at it is that Magnaflow could've used any X-pipe they wanted with the muffler delete and they chose the #11386. I think it's actually a little bit cheaper as well.

Camar0wn3d 02-09-2010 03:21 PM

:clap: Dude...you HAVE to post a sound clip as soon as you get it installed. Subscribed.

2010 SSRS 02-09-2010 03:24 PM

Awesome idea

TommyTSquared 02-09-2010 04:10 PM

I'm glad you FINALLY made your decision! :D

caverman 02-09-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTSquared (Post 1466130)
I'm glad you FINALLY made your decision! :D

:D Yeah...back and forth I know....and I'm still hoping I made the right decision although I don't see how it won't be a good setup.

If you think I was wishy washy about the exhaust you should've read some of my emails on deciding if I should even get the car or not.

Now....if the car will just get here and this stupid COLD weather would finally go away I might be able to finally get this done!

My freakin window was frozen shut this morning.:yikes: 24 this morning and I don't even know what the wind chil was. We are from TX....this stuff isn't supposed to happen down here.

TommyTSquared 02-09-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 1466163)
:D Yeah...back and forth I know....and I'm still hoping I made the right decision although I don't see how it won't be a good setup.

If you think I was wishy washy about the exhaust you should've read some of my emails on deciding if I should even get the car or not.

Now....if the car will just get here and this stupid COLD weather would finally go away I might be able to finally get this done!

My freakin window was frozen shut this morning.:yikes: 24 this morning and I don't even know what the wind chil was. We are from TX....this stuff isn't supposed to happen down here.

Don't you dare complain to be about wind until you've been out here!!! :laugh:

Just hope that since we're actually have a cold winter we'll get a few years of the warm ones we're accustomed to! :thumbsup:

JDP Motorsports 02-09-2010 05:03 PM

Nice!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out as well as the sound!!! Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!! We appreciate your business and have a great day!!! :chevy:

Kind regards,

axis 02-09-2010 05:43 PM

Replacing a pair of mufflers with a resonated X-pipe is bound to be pretty loud. I guess we'll see just how loud. :D

Cacadeech 02-09-2010 06:21 PM

You're right, that set up is pretty much exactly the same (including tips) as the SOLO and the SOLO sounds great. You've got some work to do but if it means saving cash, it's worth it. Anyway post a sound clip when you can.

GraysonPeace 02-09-2010 06:22 PM

I DIDi mine yesterday.We used the exact same MagnaFFlow part and deleted the same parts as pictured above only used the muffler guys pipes and used the stock tips.$200. We expected it to be much louder but it was not. The sound is much deeper and sounds like it looks. We are very happy.

JDP Motorsports 02-09-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 1466468)
Replacing a pair of mufflers with a resonated X-pipe is bound to be pretty loud. I guess we'll see just how loud. :D

It is basically the same set-up as the Magnaflow 16580 minus the mandrel-bent tubing. It will sound very similar. HERE is the sound file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacadeech (Post 1466594)
You're right, that set up is pretty much exactly the same (including tips) as the SOLO and the SOLO sounds great. You've got some work to do but if it means saving cash, it's worth it. Anyway post a sound clip when you can.

It's actually like the Magnaflow 16580 but with 4" tips opposed to 5". :D

toehead93 02-09-2010 07:47 PM

Nice write up. Same thing I'm doing!