Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   STS Turbo Reliability? Better options? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187545)

Dobbins 12-11-2011 07:41 PM

STS Turbo Reliability? Better options?

I am planning on getting the STS Rear Mount turbo on my 2LT after the spring. IS this the best option for power on a v6? Is it reliable and will I have any problems since it is rear mounted? Will there be more turbo lag? I live in Kansas and there is a shop really close that is an authorized sts dealer and can tune it so are there any better options that wouldnt require me to ship my car somewhere?

Boostpatrol 12-11-2011 07:54 PM

turbo lag shouldnt be an issue with proper sized turbos. Flow through the piping is instant in a compressed environment.

cjt037 12-11-2011 08:02 PM

get a shop that can dyno tune it for you dont trust the sts flash tune that comes with the kit.

Dobbins 12-11-2011 08:13 PM

So what is a good tune I should get?

Boostpatrol 12-11-2011 08:28 PM

Agreed. Custom tune it. Any stock flash FI tune is not good enough. Tunes need to be specific for your altitude etc.

Dobbins 12-11-2011 08:45 PM

do you guys have any specific tunes I should get? and how much that will cost?

cjt037 12-11-2011 08:55 PM

Any trusted speed shop that had the ability to tuned trifecta

KMPrenger 12-12-2011 10:14 PM

You will have to use Trifecta tuning....which basically means you will datalog the car either on the road or on the dyno. Send Trifecta the logs and they will then make the tweaks and you retune. Do this back and forth until perfect.

cjt037 12-13-2011 09:12 AM

That's not 100% true. Yes your going to have to use the trifecta tuner but thier is shops out their with the software to dyno tune. without sending to Trifecta at all

elsololobo02 12-27-2011 09:32 PM

Dobbins,

The STS turbo is a great option, if you want a turbo. There is also a twin turbo option and a soon to be released supercharger. It all depends on want you want spend and how much horse power (RWHP) that you plan to achieve. Trifecta is a repuatable company and if you call them they can put you in touch with the closest dyno tuner to your location. If there is no dealer close then you can do it via e-mail with data logging although you will not be able to maximize the tune unless you have access to a dyno that supports the Trifecta software. The rear mount is not a problem. Tubing size has a lot to do with lag as well if you get the ceramic ball bearing upgrade as it will spool about 2-300 RPM's faster. Also adding a 25% under drive pulley can add faster spool rates (love my SLP 25% under drive pulley btw). Under hood turbos do have less lag but also produce alot more heat, remote turbos do not have heat issues that the underhood turbos do.

The STS turbo with a base safe Trifecta tune will yield you about 325-345 RWHP...safely. If you add other options such as meth injection, yata yata yata, you will yield about 415 RWHP. There is also nitrous that can give you a bit more and cost alot less than the turbo option. Adding Gears 3.73:1, one piece driveshaft, Racing suspension (Pfadt baby!!!), Meth, Rotars, Brakes and reducing vehicle weight (sprung and unsprung) can have a huge effect on how your vehicle will perform.

I have a butt ton of aftermarket parts and will post the final numbers in a few months (my garage). I'm shooting for 460-480 RWHP... which will yeid that same RWHP as a ZL1 but it will cost me. If you do the right research and get with your regional speed shops they can map out a hp plan and will be able to tell you how much it will cost to get you there. You can get these kind of numbers without paying as much for a 2SS or ZL1 if you plan it all out correctly (Base models with hardly any mods). The V8's will always be able to make more RWHP as the aftermarket for them is so much broader reguardless of how may parts you put on you V6.

There is a 2SS locally that is putting down 645 RWHP with a fair amount of mods (maggie, CAI and a dyno tune). To get a V6 to do that is will take about $25-30K in parts and labor... at a minimum. So again it all comes down to how much you can/want to spend. Hope this helps you in some way.:thumbup:

CiscoBee 12-27-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjt037 (Post 4157650)
That's not 100% true. Yes your going to have to use the trifecta tuner but thier is shops out their with the software to dyno tune. without sending to Trifecta at all

Can you name them??? I haven't found one shop that claims they can dyno tune the V6.

cjt037 12-27-2011 11:08 PM

Majestic motorsports in Jacksonville nc is one

elsololobo02 12-27-2011 11:25 PM

Trifecta has a complete list of authorized tuners to include dyno and remote tuners. Rev Extreme is one of the tuners in Florida. :headbang:

cjt037 12-27-2011 11:29 PM

Your.best bet is to call them like the person said above me they can tell you who had the ability

elsololobo02 12-27-2011 11:33 PM

Agree, call them to find out or visit their website, a list is compiled and easliy accessable. Either way Trifecta can help you out. :rolleyes:

Dobbins 12-27-2011 11:59 PM

The shop that is installing the turbo is an authorized dealer of the STS turbo so they dyno tune it there and have already done one on a 370z. The guy made it sound like a real good plan, and I brought up the trifecta tune with him but he said it would be better to do theirs (which is no extra charge to installation) where they do the tune and add their own tweaks with their dyno system there. Also, if I am not satisfied there is a trifecta tuner very close to me. But you are saying that it will only get 315-325 rwhp? Im aiming for 400 and I thought that that should have been what it was supposed to do. Is 315-325 actually realistic to what it may do? The guy at the shop told me it should have no problem getting 400 at the wheels..

cjt037 12-28-2011 05:09 AM

If they don't use the base tune. With 6 psi don't expect 400. Make them provide the dyno sheet.

Can't_C_Me 12-28-2011 06:37 AM

Trifecta all the way!!! :popcorn:

scrming 12-28-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobbins (Post 4226021)
The shop that is installing the turbo is an authorized dealer of the STS turbo so they dyno tune it there and have already done one on a 370z. The guy made it sound like a real good plan, and I brought up the trifecta tune with him but he said it would be better to do theirs (which is no extra charge to installation) where they do the tune and add their own tweaks with their dyno system there. Also, if I am not satisfied there is a trifecta tuner very close to me. But you are saying that it will only get 315-325 rwhp? Im aiming for 400 and I thought that that should have been what it was supposed to do. Is 315-325 actually realistic to what it may do? The guy at the shop told me it should have no problem getting 400 at the wheels..

Ok... bit confused... Whose tuning system are they using? Are they telling you they can tune it with something other than the Trifecta system? I would double check with them and find out exactly how they plan on tuning your car? Do they have any experience with a V6 Camaro?

KMPrenger 12-28-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 4226494)
Ok... bit confused... Whose tuning system are they using? Are they telling you they can tune it with something other than the Trifecta system? I would double check with them and find out exactly how they plan on tuning your car? Do they have any experience with a V6 Camaro?

Exactly.

Trifecta is the only forced induction tuner for the V6 this community has seen.

Dobbins 12-28-2011 01:36 PM

Ok they said that they take the tune STS gets them and take it a step further using their dyno to get maximum performance out of it. He said they should have no problem getting that. I will ask for the dyno sheet and if I am unhappy with it there is a trifecta tuner that I have talked to that I will see. The shop hasnt done a camaro yet but they got a 170 rwhp gain on the 370z with their tuning so it seems legit.

scrming 12-28-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobbins (Post 4228141)
Ok they said that they take the tune STS gets them and take it a step further using their dyno to get maximum performance out of it. He said they should have no problem getting that. I will ask for the dyno sheet and if I am unhappy with it there is a trifecta tuner that I have talked to that I will see. The shop hasnt done a camaro yet but they got a 170 rwhp gain on the 370z with their tuning so it seems legit.

Ok... and what is he going to use to manipulate the STS base tune?

Dobbins 12-28-2011 04:17 PM

they have a dyno and tune it with that to its peak performance is what they said.

GretchenGotGrowl 12-28-2011 04:22 PM

You may want to ask them some detailed questions. STS provides the Trifecta tune with their kit. You have to have the Trifecta Dealer software to change that tune. That is about $2,500, so unless they specialize in cars that can only be tuned with the Trifecta software (V6 Camaros, Cobalts,etc...), they are unlikely to have it. They could do an email tune with Vince or a Trifecta reseller, but it probably best that you confirm exactly how they will be doing the tune first. If you don't you may find you have your car sitting on a Dyno without a way to modify the tune.

scrming 12-28-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 4229094)
You may want to ask them some detailed questions. STS provides the Trifecta tune with their kit. You have to have the Trifecta Dealer software to change that tune. That is about $2,500, so unless they specialize in cars that can only be tuned with the Trifecta software (V6 Camaros, Cobalts,etc...), they are unlikely to have it. They could do an email tune with Vince or a Trifecta reseller, but it probably best that you confirm exactly how they will be doing the tune first. If you don't you may find you have your car sitting on a Dyno without a way to modify the tune.

Exactly!

To sum it up.. ask the "What software are you going to use to tweak/modify the base STS tune?"

My wild guess.. they've never touched a V6 Camaro and are ASSUMING they can just use HP Tuners, SCT, Diablo, etc...

scrming 12-28-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 4229217)
Curious to why your using a shop that isn't experianced with the LLT and it's qwirks....there is only one crankcase evac system that will work with it and the STS version does not. Ask more with the LLT turbo's and see how they solved it. And that is only one of the issues that make the LLT unique for FI builds. :thumbsup:

good points... don't think any of the STS owners just installed the system and have it be problem free... seems it takes quite a bit of extra effort to get the car running correctly... IMHO...

Dobbins 12-28-2011 05:04 PM

Yes I just talked to him actually and they said they would use the HP Tune or Diablo. They have not done a v6 camaro but have done numerous cars and have done an SS that they got to 610 at the wheels. They seem very confident that they can do it. They are close with the STS company and have set records for power on cars using STS kits. The tuner there has been tuning for many years and said this should be no problem. He has heard of the trifecta tune but says they will be able to get the power out of their systems as well. They do not charge any extra for the tune so I will trust that they can do it and like I've said if I am disappointed there is a trifecta tuner in my same town that I can go to that charges about $350 for the tune.

GretchenGotGrowl 12-28-2011 05:19 PM

I would email Vince and make sure he is available the day you plan to tune. That way you have a back up. I would lay money on them not being able to tune it with what they have. Better safe than sorry. And as for not being able to get the power, EVERY turbo v6 has Trifecta tuning as far as I know.

scrming 12-28-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobbins (Post 4229323)
Yes I just talked to him actually and they said they would use the HP Tune or Diablo. They have not done a v6 camaro but have done numerous cars and have done an SS that they got to 610 at the wheels. They seem very confident that they can do it. They are close with the STS company and have set records for power on cars using STS kits. The tuner there has been tuning for many years and said this should be no problem. He has heard of the trifecta tune but says they will be able to get the power out of their systems as well. They do not charge any extra for the tune so I will trust that they can do it and like I've said if I am disappointed there is a trifecta tuner in my same town that I can go to that charges about $350 for the tune.

He's LYING! (ok, a bit strong but you get the point!) Once again a shop makes a HUGE ASSUMPTION without doing ANY RESEARCH! Sure, bring it in and we can do it, no problem!!! And then OOPS!!! LOL

Can't_C_Me 12-28-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 4229397)
HP tuners & Diablo ( we tune w/both as well as several other suites) don't have tuning released for the LLT....so not sure how they are going to do it w/out Trifecta. Again, we are the authority (I think most will agree) when it comes to FI or anything with the LLT & LFX DI motors and I will guarantee you you will have issues with the crankcase evac system and Trifecta is the ONLY game in town (the country) that can properly tune the Bosch ECU for FI. It's a free country though so your free of course to do as you choose. If you want details feel free to ask for specifics. I find it is best to do it right the first time and avoid the headaches & added cost. :thumbsup:

When this man right here says anything about the LLT the industry listens. So save yourself the headache and running around.

cjt037 12-28-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 4229228)
good points... don't think any of the STS owners just installed the system and have it be problem free... seems it takes quite a bit of extra effort to get the car running correctly... IMHO...

Sorry had to quote. This made me fall overlaughing.Sts kits need something to be fixed after every track day. I still can't fiqure out. What's wrong with my car. It has its day. It reminds me of gone in 60 seconds. She gets pissy

cjt037 12-28-2011 06:00 PM

But they are are all right trifectas is your only option

Harley1 12-28-2011 07:45 PM

If I ever get a supercharger or turbo rest assured it will only be from Tracey! (SC2150)

CiscoBee 12-28-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 4229206)
Exactly!

To sum it up.. ask the "What software are you going to use to tweak/modify the base STS tune?"

My wild guess.. they've never touched a V6 Camaro and are ASSUMING they can just use HP Tuners, SCT, Diablo, etc...

:thumbup::thumbup:

jamie 12-28-2011 08:18 PM

Listen to SC2150 and SCRMING. These folks know what they are talking about. They are basically saying the shop that you are looking at is inexperienced and you will most likely run into problems... I'd look around for another option or send it down to Tracy to build a system for you. From every thread I have read, it will be money well spent...

Dobbins 01-05-2012 05:31 PM

I just talked to Vince and he said that the tune that sts sends with it will get at least 90% of the power and should do good. He said trifecta can't do anymore to that, and my shop guy said that the tune is made by trifecta.

73duster 01-09-2012 06:51 PM

I had the sts turbo on a 2004 GTO with the LS1. IT FLAT OUT WORKS! There is'nt any noticable lag, and the power was incredible. Just get it custom tuned, that is the most vital part of the entire project. I can't tell you how awesome that rear mounted turbo sounded. I might do it to my 2010 ss in the future.

SIXJAK 01-09-2012 09:56 PM

Or let the shop do it and let them learn something about the LLT. If they are legit they will learn some valuable things and maybe add value our V6 community. Unfortunately you will be the Guinea pig. There have been a decent amount of reputable shops that have given up on the LLT. A 370 Z is nowhere near as difficult to ad power adders to. Heck give it a shot and let us know how it works out. Good luck bro.

Dobbins 01-09-2012 10:30 PM

thanks man, I'm gonna go ahead and trust the shop, the guy there has been tuning for years and Im gonna trust him, I wanna be the only one around here or possibly even in all of Kansas that has one!

cjt037 01-10-2012 05:08 AM

all I can say is good luck. Sts is an easy kit. So install wise would be easy. Tuning I wish you luck