Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   PORTED THROTTLEBODY QUESTION (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343345)

mbowen89 02-20-2014 12:09 PM

That will suck for me though, have to remove my sub, and spare tire, etc. Oh well

Indydriver 02-20-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowen89 (Post 7436374)
Ignoring supposed HP increases, is this for sure going to better throttle response? Or is it just a "placebo effect"?

The VMAX description tries to really sell it to you hard with the "physics" of it all. Seems a little sketchy to me though. I feel like an empty hole is an empty hole, and changing it so you can only tell a difference under a microscope for this application is pointless. If they actually increase the diameter of the hole then that's another story. The description says that the blade is same size, so the hole has to be same size to then right?

This just all seems sketchy to me... someone please inform me of my ignorance! :)

Read this article about the development of this current Gen 4 LS3. Note how much effort the GM engineers put into shape and smoothness of air flow surfaces.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/

Angrybird 12 02-20-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowen89 (Post 7436426)
That will suck for me though, have to remove my sub, and spare tire, etc. Oh well

I was told you could do it under the hood and I was all set to do it, but at the last minute I decided to do it at the battery.

caverman 02-20-2014 12:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
When I put mine on I felt like I got better throttle response. Was it day and night...No....but I felt like it was better than before. HP gains....maybe but you're probably not going to really feel 5 hp in the butt dyno.

Would I buy it again....definitely. For the money I felt it was worth it. Now, if you're needing the money for other mods like maybe cradle bushings or something that you will feel day and night difference then you might spend the money there first but eventually I would say pull the trigger and get one.

Here is the visual difference between stock and VMax. You can see how it's smoothed out with swirls and some of the metal has been removed to make for better flow. BTW, this was a used one.

djcfuzz 02-20-2014 02:59 PM

^ great pics, as displayed there is a difference in opening, this is a no brainer for the LFX, just do it and move on, albeit a little smoother.

KILLA BEE 02-20-2014 07:16 PM

new or used..hmmmmmm I say used is kool.

[QUOTE=Blu Ray;7436226]Shopping around,

JDP offers a "New" and "Used" PTB there the only site out there with this option. The "NEW" PTB also comes with a $$$ premimum charge.

My question is when I order from other Vendors that do not offer "NEW vs USED" are they really NEW PTB or Refurbished Cores other customers returned.

I was tripping on the old and new thing rhis week when I ordered mine.most people pay 150 shipped. .so most people getting used.. jdp just happens to be straight up and tell u the real deal. .and disconnecting don't do nothing..u just disconnect the one power source that hooks to the tb. A plug in.

dmginc 02-20-2014 07:45 PM

you should disconnect the battery when unplugging sensors, its in the directions for a reason. plus by disconnecting the battery the computer will adjust to the new part quicker instead of car running like crap for a while till it adjusts.

Apex Paul 02-20-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Ray (Post 7436226)

My question is when I order from other Vendors that do not offer "NEW vs USED" are they really NEW PTB or Refurbished Cores other customers returned.

Is there a benefit of having a New vs Used

At Apex Motorsports we have both options available. I'm not sure if they are both available on the website or not, because I have not checked.

The benefit of having a new core boils down to two things in my eyes;
1. If you order a new core you can keep your stock TB. Should you decide to get rid of your car you can pull it and sell it to someone.
2. You don't have to hassle with sending your core back.

Those are pretty small advantages, if you can even see them as advantages. I can say that every core that we have returned goes through a thorough inspection of the case, blade, electrical connections, etc. If they do not meet the quality standard we send them back. Most come to us in good condition, and those that do not are almost 100% due to not being packaged correctly (or with any packing at all!) when returned.

KILLA BEE 02-21-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Paul (Post 7437694)
At Apex Motorsports we have both options available. I'm not sure if they are both available on the website or not, because I have not checked.

The benefit of having a new core boils down to two things in my eyes;
1. If you order a new core you can keep your stock TB. Should you decide to get rid of your car you can pull it and sell it to someone.
2. You don't have to hassle with sending your core back.

Those are pretty small advantages, if you can even see them as advantages. I can say that every core that we have returned goes through a thorough inspection of the case, blade, electrical connections, etc. If they do not meet the quality standard we send them back. Most come to us in good condition, and those that do not are almost 100% due to not being packaged correctly (or with any packing at all!) when returned.

Well put apex well put..:hail:

KILLA BEE 02-21-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmginc (Post 7437649)
you should disconnect the battery when unplugging sensors, its in the directions for a reason. plus by disconnecting the battery the computer will adjust to the new part quicker instead of car running like crap for a while till it adjusts.

Ok. Kool...on the dyi vids they didn't do the battery thingy so I figured didn't have to. good info dog.

DieselAries1 02-21-2014 08:14 AM

What is the dead spot people mention? Is that the time from pressing down on the pedal to the time it take for the car to accelerate?

Zig Zag 02-21-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselAries1 (Post 7438595)
What is the dead spot people mention? Is that the time from pressing down on the pedal to the time it take for the car to accelerate?

I was wondering about this as well.
I haven't reached 1,500 mi. yet so I haven't really opened it up yet.
Where is the dead spot?

Angrybird 12 02-21-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zig Zag (Post 7438702)
I was wondering about this as well.
I haven't reached 1,500 mi. yet so I haven't really opened it up yet.
Where is the dead spot?

Some call it a dead spot, in the old days with Carbs we would call it a flat spot. As you are giving it gas while accelerating, you may notice at one point it seems to level off for a second then pick back up. I noticed it right off on mine, it seemed sluggish also from accelerating from a stop. The ported VMax Throttlebody eliminated this effect.

SSGUNNER 02-21-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 7436355)
Absolutely! VMax claims 12-16 RWHP gain without a tune - more with. Got mine through Apex Motorsports. Core charge deposit posted to my account 5 days after I sent the stock TB back. Super service. Super product. Well worth the $150.

Yep. Same for me. I think I fell in love with her again.

SSGUNNER 02-21-2014 10:00 AM

Also I noticed talk about new or used. To be honest there doesn't seem to be a reason why a used one will be less beneficial than a new one. Let's be honest nothing but ur intake or stock intake connects to it. So there really shouldn't be any damage done. When people send in their core I assume once the cnc is done they clean the tb before or maybe after they port. Mine vmax was very clean, can't tell u if it was new or used but the difference is there. More gurgling, seems she idles more

Zig Zag 02-21-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 7438757)
Some call it a dead spot, in the old days with Carbs we would call it a flat spot. As you are giving it gas while accelerating, you may notice at one point it seems to level off for a second then pick back up. I noticed it right off on mine, it seemed sluggish also from accelerating from a stop. The ported VMax Throttlebody eliminated this effect.

Thanks for the reply.
At what RPM does the dead spot occur?
I have not experienced this yet, my motor pulls strong till I let up on it.
But then again I have not gone WOT in sport mode (Auto trans) yet either...

Rhyno81 02-21-2014 02:16 PM

Best and easiest 150 upgrade there is. Even the most unhandy person should be able to do it. As far as hard #s at the rear wheels I couldn't tell you. But I felt it was more responsive on the low end, starting off from starts etc. You wont light the street on fire but you will notice

Angrybird 12 02-21-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zig Zag (Post 7439333)
Thanks for the reply.
At what RPM does the dead spot occur?
I have not experienced this yet, my motor pulls strong till I let up on it.
But then again I have not gone WOT in sport mode (Auto trans) yet either...

I really can't remember what exact RPM but under light to moderate acceleration it was most noticeable. Some people either are unaware of it or it just does not bother them, in that case you probably wouldn't notice any change anyway.

Jims Mongoose 02-26-2014 09:48 PM

You Guys all Lied to Me!

So in the last few nights I put my mild to wild switch on. Like the change but not as dramatic as I thought.

Tonight I installed the Vmaxx. Awesome, I do feel the response. It's easy to feel the throttle feels lighter, nice.

But and this is a big Buttttt!

You all lied to me it took me 45 minutes to take off the engine cover, disonnect the 1LE provided from the factory cleanside oil catch system, take off the AirRaid tubes, just recently installed and then remove the throttle body connector, the 4 bolts for the TB put on the new one and reverse the whole process.

So I'm pissed, 45 minutes not 15 to 25 as some have said.

I do have to admit though it took me 20 minutes to find my tools and shine up the engine cover while I was at it.:bellyroll:
The garage is a mess after working on my sons 1972 Blazer.:laugh:

Seriously thanks for recomending this mod, it's awesome

The one I got was marked as new, though I signed up for a used one.
It was clean and perfectly packed. It also came very quickly and goes back tomorrow. I got the shipping label, it was worth it for the $15 .
Jim:clap:

djcfuzz 03-06-2014 06:21 PM

^ Ohhh, your 1LE is a different beast! I am a fan of the 1LE. Glad you got your TB installed and are liking it!

KILLA BEE 03-06-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowen89 (Post 7436426)

well worth it trust me:w00t:

CaliDave 03-07-2014 09:17 PM

I have a few questions. Does this void the warranty?
Does it help the gas mileage or hurt it?
I want to get one. Oh how many people painted it
before putting back on?

Angrybird 12 03-07-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliDave (Post 7477747)
I have a few questions. Does this void the warranty?
Does it help the gas mileage or hurt it?
I want to get one. Oh how many people painted it
before putting back on?

1. Only on the throttle body itself.
2. No, I got the same as before.
3. I didn't paint mine.

Firefighter 03-07-2014 10:19 PM

Mongoose you had some Shenanigans going on right there. I did mine in like 15 min... I was standing in front of Vmaxx when I did mine Pete watched me do it and took my core.

I love mine too.

Skizioli 03-09-2014 01:53 PM

For future info I just recently did mine, coupled with my other mods and the tune, the ported throttle body got rid of the last little bit of noticable throttle lag I had. This 2LS runs hard now, I'm very proud of her.