Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   sirius(ly) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24037)

navyflyer72 05-23-2009 07:44 PM

sirius(ly)

OK,I am wondering if anyone out these has the definitive answer about changing the XM brains in the new Camaro to a Sirius brain. I have a Sirius lifetime subscription because of Howard Stern, but I ordered my 2SS despite the XM standard. You would think that since the merger they would make it optional which you wanted in your Camaro, but no. I'm not sure the antennas are cross-compatible... does anyone know the truth about this? Please help!

Xmicro_SS 05-23-2009 07:51 PM

You can get Howard through the XM Receiver with the "Best of Sirius" Package.

http://www.xmradio.com/turnsternon/i...ign=FREEHOWARD

Only $2 per month and no screwing with the radio! :thumbup:

HTWLSS 05-24-2009 02:03 PM

Yeah, but he'd have to pay for a new XM base fee and not be able to add the XM unit as a reduced cost second unit on his Sirius account.

mbauer14085RS/SS2010 05-24-2009 04:15 PM

yeah i got this problem to. theres no way i am going to mount my sirius radio the way it is in my blazer right now velcroed to the dashboard. and i inquired about the subscription thing to and they said we are merged but we cant do anything with changing you over. i want to find a way to get my radio into my camaro when it arrives but i dont know how i will do it

joepitt 05-24-2009 06:17 PM

Have you called and asked if they can move the subscription now that they are the same company?

mbauer14085RS/SS2010 05-24-2009 06:40 PM

yeah tried that they said they are merged but still seperate entities if that makes any sense. it was bad enough i think i was talking to some guy in india and couldnt understand a word he said.

Xmicro_SS 05-24-2009 07:23 PM

Yea, unfortunately you need to pay for a base XM subscription, and add the $2 Best of Sirius. But at least you do not have to screw around with the radio. This is what I am going to do. :thumbsup:

mbauer14085RS/SS2010 05-24-2009 07:25 PM

yeah it just sucks that i already have a subscription and a radio.

Hemlawk 05-26-2009 07:33 AM

I'll be happy if I can get Octane, Faction, Lithium and Alt Nation with XM.
I miss Hard Attack...

Rogue Leader 05-26-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemlawk (Post 519001)
I'll be happy if I can get Octane, Faction, Lithium and Alt Nation with XM.
I miss Hard Attack...

THose are all on XM now, almost all the music channels merged.

Rogue Leader 05-26-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyflyer72 (Post 513972)
OK,I am wondering if anyone out these has the definitive answer about changing the XM brains in the new Camaro to a Sirius brain. I have a Sirius lifetime subscription because of Howard Stern, but I ordered my 2SS despite the XM standard. You would think that since the merger they would make it optional which you wanted in your Camaro, but no. I'm not sure the antennas are cross-compatible... does anyone know the truth about this? Please help!

I questioned this a while ago and was told no because this radio uses a new system of some sort, and I don't believe sirius/XM is going to bother creating a convertor box.

bluch 05-26-2009 12:17 PM

Faction is amazing! Good music and the Jason Ellis show! RED DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!

Hemlawk 05-26-2009 02:34 PM

I had Sirius a few years ago but don't use it anymore. I was just driving my bros truck a few days ago with Sirius. I realised how much I miss it and I'll be reinstalling it again shortly.

etrigan 05-26-2009 10:40 PM

At the Camaro event in Grapevine, I asked the XM rep if I could switch my Sirius account over to an XM radio and she told me that it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe she didn't have all the facts.

wullger 05-27-2009 05:39 PM

Not well-versed on car audio hookups and such, but would this little guy do the trick? http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...70&cid=SIR-GM1

Rogue Leader 05-27-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wullger (Post 524453)
Not well-versed on car audio hookups and such, but would this little guy do the trick? http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...70&cid=SIR-GM1

Already asked a while ago and was told no....

Bryan2230 05-28-2009 01:43 AM

I have 2 sirius radio subscriptions. I guess i'm going to have to go the other way and get a XM radio for my Truck, I really dont want to pay two base fees. I guess once my 3 Months is over ill be totally switching to XM.

I hate XM, but i guess its not so bad since they merged. My mother had XM in her 08 Tahoe (RIP) pre-merger and i couldnt stand it. I still dont like it, but at least XM has Octane and NHL Home Ice.

wullger 05-28-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 525657)
Already asked a while ago and was told no....

Rats! :/

navyflyer72 06-21-2009 06:59 AM

This whole merger thing has been a crock. I have 2 Sirius subscriptions (mine and my wife's), mine is a lifetime subscription, so I no longer have a monthly fee. (This is one of the reasons that I want to get Sirius in my Camaro). The other reason is because I got Sirius for Howard Stern.

I really think we should petition Sirius/XM and GM and get them to develop a plug-n-play converter box for GM so that we (the loyal GM and Sirius fans that we are) can enjoy the best of both worlds (Auto and Audio) without having to chop up our brand new Camaro's to duct-tape, velcro, screw radios all over the cockpit! Not to mention the antenna issue, my understanding is that the XM antenna factory installed on the Camaro is not compatible with the Sirius signal... hmmm.

I will start the petition if people are interested, hey mods, can we make this a poll?

Regards,
George

Rogue Leader 06-21-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyflyer72 (Post 605428)
This whole merger thing has been a crock. I have 2 Sirius subscriptions (mine and my wife's), mine is a lifetime subscription, so I no longer have a monthly fee. (This is one of the reasons that I want to get Sirius in my Camaro). The other reason is because I got Sirius for Howard Stern.

I really think we should petition Sirius/XM and GM and get them to develop a plug-n-play converter box for GM so that we (the loyal GM and Sirius fans that we are) can enjoy the best of both worlds (Auto and Audio) without having to chop up our brand new Camaro's to duct-tape, velcro, screw radios all over the cockpit! Not to mention the antenna issue, my understanding is that the XM antenna factory installed on the Camaro is not compatible with the Sirius signal... hmmm.

I will start the petition if people are interested, hey mods, can we make this a poll?

Regards,
George

They do make antenna adaptors to use the XM antenna with the siruis box on cars that they offer the converters for. Maybe they will still offer the converter eventually.....

navyflyer72 06-22-2009 01:58 PM

I sure wish they would get started on a converter, I would really hate to have to use a separate antenna and plug in my Stiletto 2... I just want to finally control everything through the head unit... I guess I am asking too much from GM and Sirius/XM to actually consider the customer... maybe it will come standard on the Z-28 (and I will curse myself for not waiting...) haha

GothamCamaro 06-22-2009 02:15 PM

A article I found about Sirius/XM early in June.... I posted at another site and can't remember the website I got this from.

Sirius XM A La Carte Recievers Coming Soon?

June 5, 2009

Sirius XM Radio could offer a la carte satellite radio receivers in the near future, as a recent patent announcement claims that technology for such an option is on the way. Satwaves.com reports that a new patent indicates that no new hardware will be required to allow for a la carte options. Instead, the feature is "achieved at the point of transmission, rather than reception."

According to the patent's abstract, "a subscriber to a first satellite radio service can be provided with an option to receive, over their current receiver unit, supplemental content, such as a particular show or channel, which is otherwise only available within a relevant jurisdiction as part of a subscription package to subscribers of one or more other satellite radio services. Thus, without purchasing a full subscription to another service, the subscriber of the first satellite radio service may arrange to receive supplemental content that is otherwise only available as part of a subscription package, such as a basic or general subscription package, to subscription holders of one or more other services. The invention also provides methods of broadcasting and methods of configuring dedicated and interoperable satellite radio receiver units so that the supplemental content can be received by a subscriber."

As part of their merger agreement, Sirius XM agreed to release a la carte radios sometime down the road and give subscribers multiple options for a la carte programming from both Sirius and XM.

Satwaves speculates that this technology could let subscribers better pick and choose what they want to hear, i.e. Howard Stern fans could get Stern's channels without signing up for as much other content. Satwaves also says that perhaps the recent news of royalty fees being passed along to subscribers could be connected to this technology, "as lower priced consumer options will require it to level the playing field and still maintain a path to profitability."