Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   ZL-1 Really a Z-28? - Theory (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254064)

Bhobbs 10-10-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 5676250)
What would be your thought if it was a warmed over LS3 producing about 500HP? Just as excited? Granted it would be a track star, able to run for extended times. Any thoughts on how it would do in 1/4 vs ZL1 if it had 505 HP and stick only say 3.90 gearing?

Why would GM build a new 6.2 V8 that puts out 500 HP when they already have a V8 putting out 505 HP? It's not gonna happen.

OldScoolCamaro 10-10-2012 07:21 PM

Bump, ....yawn... GM isn't going to recertify a LS3 and make it stouter, although they could but that's not what they do. NOW, the LS7 at 505 is a reality, it's in it's curtain call, I.E. swan song upcoming with the advent of the new DI motor. Question is... why not use it for a finale Z28? That, or we wait and buy some crate motors after the next phase enters. I don't think they <next gen DI engines> will plug and play as easily as LS gen motors in our current models going forward.

JusticePete 10-10-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 5678902)
Bump, ....yawn... GM isn't going to recertify a LS3 and make it stouter, although they could but that's not what they do. NOW, the LS7 at 505 is a reality, it's in it's curtain call, I.E. swan song upcoming with the advent of the new DI motor. Question is... why not use it for a finale Z28? That, or we wait and buy some crate motors after the next phase enters. I don't think they <next gen DI engines> will plug and play as easily as LS gen motors in our current models going forward.

Crate motors don't communicate well with OE modules by design. It makes it harder to put the crate motor in an current EPA compliant car. You can work around it, but it takes some effort.

OldScoolCamaro 10-10-2012 08:39 PM

True Pete, but, an LS current design LS family motor LS7, would be easier to plug into a C5 setup over the next gen DI motor I would think, would it not? EPA compliancy is something the customer would need to give or take upon, my point was the ease between the two comparitively speaking. Hard to tell maybe since we don't have the DI yet, but there are already manufacturers making conversion deals for the LS7 I surmise.

JusticePete 10-10-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 5679281)
True Pete, but, an LS current design LS family motor LS7, would be easier to plug into a C5 setup over the next gen DI motor I would think, would it not? EPA compliancy is something the customer would need to give or take upon, my point was the ease between the two comparitively speaking. Hard to tell maybe since we don't have the DI yet, but there are already manufacturers making conversion deals for the LS7 I surmise.

:word:

shaffe 10-11-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 5678902)

Only problem I see now with them using a LS7 in the Z/28 would be this.

The LS7 is on its way out if its only going to be used for say one more year, that would make the Z/28 get produced for only 1 year with the LS7 and if they continued it the next year it would have to have a different engine.

JusticePete 10-11-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 5680931)
Only problem I see now with them using a LS7 in the Z/28 would be this.

The LS7 is on its way out if its only going to be used for say one more year, that would make the Z/28 get produced for only 1 year with the LS7 and if they continued it the next year it would have to have a different engine.

That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s. A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.

shaffe 10-11-2012 01:51 PM

Thinking that way ^ yeah it will be very rare and special.

Not a chance to sell a lot of cars, and that to me screams huge dealer mark ups. But It would make it a really special car. Touche

OldScoolCamaro 10-11-2012 08:51 PM

Like Pete said, that would be cool, and nothing out of the ordinary of shared motors from the past lineage of Corvette and Camaro history. As Pete mentioned previously, EPA emission regs could be an issue, but that makes me wonder why can not GM write code to have a LS7 fitted to a Camaro and meet clean air requirements like the Corvette does? The ECM can be recallibrated. The GM engineers are top dogs in the field. If they can write code for the algorythims on the ZL1 to perform as it does, then it should not be a big issue to position the LS7 in a C5 Camaro frame and bring us the Z28. Even so, after time, the LS7 will be available as an off road use crate motor from GM, and we can purchase one if it is deemed nececessary to hold onto and have for future deployment in a departing C5 chassis. The next two years are an exciting time of possibilities.

htron50 10-11-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5681211)
That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s. A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.

Bulls Eye Pete.

I'd like to see them Cam it up a bit closer to 550 HP just for the raw power of it. But 505 with proper gearing, maybe a seat delete option and roll bar addition might be nice ("bossish")... Add a cold air intake to the front of the ZL1 Hood, maybe remove weight and make it a pure track star that WILL NOT overheat! I can see it happening sooner than later AND betting money predicts <500 would be built. Thus, scooped up B4 the email to dealers is printed out!

cbass 10-11-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

My theory (and just that, I have no proof), is simple. The ZL-1 was in fact originally slated to be the new Z-28 model.
You are correct. There is evidence the current ZL1 was suppose to be a Z-28.

Mikes SS 10-12-2012 09:17 AM

Yeah great..thanks for the assurance that an LS7 powered 5th gen Z/28 will be unattainable for the average hardworking guy like myself. Dealer mark-ups for a limited edition (1 year run) and a 10K engine really make for a great business sense. Thanks!! Hey here's and idea, why not use the DI 6.2L for a Z-28 so more than 500 rich people can buy one!!

JusticePete 10-12-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 5685117)
Yeah great..thanks for the assurance that an LS7 powered 5th gen Z/28 will be unattainable for the average hardworking guy like myself. Dealer mark-ups for a limited edition (1 year run) and a 10K engine really make for a great business sense. Thanks!! Hey here's and idea, why not use the DI 6.2L for a Z-28 so more than 500 rich people can buy one!!

Maybe they will, but I my guess is the DI engines will first appear in the 6th Gen.

LOWDOWN 10-12-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5681211)
That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s.

An opportunity to keep Wixom working...

A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.

Yes, indeedie!