Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Noob to NOS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195789)

10RsCamaro 01-15-2012 10:15 PM

Noob to NOS

Wondering how reliable the nos is for a DD. Can i control when to use it and only just never use it when im driving? It's on my list after I scrape some money up for SS gears:). Thanks for the help and no flame since I have no clue about NOS

cjt037 01-15-2012 10:48 PM

Not street legal in most states.. You control when its being used. very risky for engine causes engine detonations if used wrong. noobs don't use nos.

10RsCamaro 01-15-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjt037 (Post 4325581)
Not street legal in most states.. You control when its being used. very risky for engine causes engine detonations if used wrong. noobs don't use nos.

Gotta start somewhere:thumbsup:

Falundir 01-16-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

There is a good read on NOS in the FI section for V8s. Generally when used properly it is safe. HOWEVER, your car needs to be tuned to have its timing retarded so you don't knock. In short your daily driving power availability will be reduced to compensate for the ability to spray more horses.

Amarr014 01-16-2012 02:01 AM

talk to nitro dave on here... read up a lot, cus you gotta understand it before you buy it, i got a 75 shot on mine, its harmless if you no what your doing an implament the right safety devices...

DarkneSS 01-16-2012 09:06 AM

How reliable it is for a daily? Meaning? A car with nitrous is just as reliable as a stock car if its not being sprayed. Adding the system to your car doesnt do anything unless you are spraying. Depending on your nitrous bottle size youll never get more than 30-60 seconds of spray time. The bottle also has to be heated to proper pressure as well.
Youll never be driving along and just decide "Hey Im gonna spray my nitrous" and just hit a button. There is a bit of preparation to it.

I guess your question is really whether its a good idea to put nitrous on a daily. My answer would be that no its not. You really should have a daily and a separate car for racing because if you try to make your daily a race car something is going to eventually break and leave you stranded.

That said as long as you keep the shot low, 75 or under, then spraying your daily wont be so bad if its ONCE and a while. And by that I mean you shouldnt really use it more than once per month if that. It should only be ued for serious racing. Its not something you just decide to use while out joyriding unless you have money to blow when you break something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarr014 (Post 4326024)
talk to nitro dave on here... read up a lot, cus you gotta understand it before you buy it, i got a 75 shot on mine, its harmless if you no what your doing an implament the right safety devices...

Completely wrong man NO nitrous system is harmless!

You can have every safety system in place and you can still break! The systems help you out a lot but they only do so much.

Amarr014 01-16-2012 12:26 PM

you can break your car driving normally down the road... nitrous is not gonna blow up your engine 99% of the time if you know what your doing... need to educate yourself on it and understand its ins and outs... Im a chemistry minor, it makes complete sense and isnt harmless if you spray it at the right rpms and have window. wot switches as well as having thiongs like amplifers safely away from them...

Falundir 01-16-2012 12:57 PM

Any mod to a car changes the designed tolerances of the car. As a result, no mod is 100% safe, not even a CAI.

Always research the worst case scenario and determine if you are willing to pay to play in the event that it happens.

Guro305 02-07-2012 09:38 PM

Duuuuuude! I've thought about this for sometime myself just for the hell of it but the problem is you are probably gonna use it the first time and never again if it's a DD. If you aint constantly at the track it's probably gonna be a waste of money.

If you ever plan to sell your car or trade it you will need to remove the nitrous system as it spooks the crap out of alot of people. Nitrous is just not practical and can be down right dangerous for street use. The only time I'd think about even going that route ie. someone pisses you off on the highway and/or street and you wanna blow by them it would have to be a "cheater" system with a tiny bottle that's gonna give that quick kick of a 30-shot and run out quickly as well.

Keep in mind, your V6 is badass on the streets by itself and even better with bolt-ons without using nitrous, turbo, superchargers, etc. It's good to go in and out of most idiots holding up traffic, gets off the line good enough to smoke most fools and most importantly still look cool! I say if you're not gonna be to and from the track enough, keep your money and just enjoy the ride my man!!! She is beautiful as is!

PoorMansCamaro 02-07-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

That's an odd thing to say. You aren't born with the knowledge of using nitrous. lol as stated before, you have to start somewhere. If you find a good shop, they should tell you everything you need to know about using nitrous. I remember the first time I wanted to put nitrous on my car, the shop i went to asked if i've sprayed before. I told them no, and they did a 101 on nitrous with me. Made me very comfortable using nitrous.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falundir (Post 4325930)
There is a good read on NOS in the FI section for V8s. Generally when used properly it is safe. HOWEVER, your car needs to be tuned to have its timing retarded so you don't knock. In short your daily driving power availability will be reduced to compensate for the ability to spray more horses.

This is not true. I have a street tune and a nitrous tune.

8cd03gro 02-08-2012 12:43 PM

Run a 50-75 wet shot with all the goodies and a good tune, you'll be fine. Just don't be greedy with the window switch or the jetting.

scrming 02-08-2012 01:10 PM

I just wish everyone would stop saying NOS... :facepalm:

h2oplay 02-08-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 4450385)
I just wish everyone would stop saying NOS... :facepalm:

LOL point taken..... But my use of it is Nitrous Oxide System.

Ice Demon 02-08-2012 02:38 PM

No don't put nos in your car it will blow up as soon as you put the bottle in the trunk. Lmao its funny how people that know nothing about Nitrous think if you put it on your car it will blow up. It is true that nitrous can be dangerous if you don't have the kit setup properly but if you have It setup properly it is 99% safe. And remember if you do decide to get a nitrous system don't buy the cheapest one on the market because you get what you pay for.