Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   deep paint scratch - what do I do? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324046)

zobi10 10-20-2013 11:24 AM

deep paint scratch - what do I do?

Soft cloth wash (NEVER again) put a pretty deep scratch about 6 inches below the side mirror on my passenger door. Like someone keyed it. White scratch, approx 7 inches long, thru the clear coat. Need to have it repaired.

Tried to attach a photo here...not sure I did it right.

Any idea on cost I should expect, how it should be fixed or any suggestions?

She's a 2014 2LT in blue ray metallic named Laverne, I live in Chicago.

Hope you guys can help. Sick about it.

Thanks.

SSTG 10-20-2013 11:27 AM

If you want to try and repair it yourself, Dr.Colorchip is a good option.
If not, find a good Detailer in your area to fix it.
If you were closer I could help.

CamaroDreams07 10-20-2013 12:09 PM

Expect about $500. That's the only way it'll look right.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Green Machine 10-20-2013 09:55 PM

I have the same problem in a different area, my detailer should be able to fix it. Will find out next Monday.

After my hood wrap is done, this dealer will not touch my car.

Todd@Autopia 10-21-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobi10 (Post 7109261)
Soft cloth wash (NEVER again) put a pretty deep scratch about 6 inches below the side mirror on my passenger door. Like someone keyed it. White scratch, approx 7 inches long, thru the clear coat. Need to have it repaired.

Tried to attach a photo here...not sure I did it right.

Any idea on cost I should expect, how it should be fixed or any suggestions?

She's a 2014 2LT in blue ray metallic named Laverne, I live in Chicago.

Hope you guys can help. Sick about it.

Thanks.

Ouch, sorry hear...

A proper repair would require respraying the area with color and blending the new color back into the door and front fender, then applying clear coat over any panel that was blended. It's really a pain and could be fairly costly for a good job.

You can attempt a DYI repair using a Dr. Colorchip patch and likely get good results, provided you aren't too anal.

I know you mentioned the scratch is white in color, which would lead us to believe it has penetrated through the clear coat However, sometimes the "white" is just residue from whatever caused the scratch. Can you feel it with your finger nail?

alv927 10-21-2013 12:40 PM

I have the same on my passenger mirror and stands out its about an inch and a half in length and was gonna take it in for repair. might try color match first.