Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MIRROR - Plea for help. (updated with solution) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612)

LDGn63 05-28-2009 08:00 AM

MIRROR - Plea for help. (updated with solution)

5 Attachment(s)
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 5/29 :thumbsup:
PIX AT BOTTOM (it almost looks like it was meant to be this way)
rolnslo, THANKS! i owe you one :drinking:

Thanks so much for the re-suggestion to flip the mirror… when I had looked at it before it appeared to be a no gain but after removing the plastic wiring cover AND unhooking the wire connector from the windshield and moving it to one side, I was able to flip the mirror and tuck the onstar buttons up behind the headliner!
I just could not see the forest for the mirror (trees). I started this thread in hopes of help and I got it! (after several bruises) Thanks!

I'm estimating that this gives another inch of visibility! (which is a big percentage)
I will have pix posted tonight (need a flash).
I would still like to see a thinner mirror but this is a great improvement while I hunt!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
another update: i was wrong it only gives you 7/8" more.
when measuring from the console (from the same exact spot on the console both times) and with no cameras involved the "flipped" mirror gives me 7/8" more viewing pleasure (vertically).
that is an 8.75% improvement measured vertically (i understand that nobody actually looks at a right angle to the windshield but it was the only way to measure without bias)

is this horse dead yet.... or shall we beat it some more?

thanks again to all that provided positive input.

everyone else, thanks for the laughs!

__________________________________________________ ___________
Mods, please do not merge this for it is a sincere plea that needs to stand on its own.

I need a solution to this 2SS REARVIEW MIRROR HAZARD.

edit: sorry if i wasnt clear earlier, i was a little jazzed...

MIRROR = BLIND SPOT when moving forward.

Just when I thought I had gotten used to it, I ALMOST T-boned a Prius this morning.
I would have already yanked it out of the car but I am not sure what that will do to onstar, bluetooth, and whatever other sensors may be hiding in it.

Pulled up to STOP, checked right, checked left, checked right again as I started easing into the intersection then BAM! There it was.
That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp… scared the KR@P outta me!

I'm goin to a dealer this weekend to try and play mix-n-match but if someone has a real solution or even a serious idea please help.

GM, if you are listening, please address this issue for ALL Camaros… now. Hey, I said Please!

Scott@Bjorn3D 05-28-2009 08:05 AM

WTF are you talking about. You are not making anysense. How would the rearview mirror make you run into a car.

Hylton 05-28-2009 08:07 AM

Wow! :suicide:

camarossrs2150 05-28-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 526205)
Mods, please do not merge this for it is a sincere plea that needs to stand on its own.

I need a solution to this 2SS REARVIEW MIRROR HAZARD.

Just when I thought I had gotten used to it, I ALMOST T-boned a Prius this morning.
I would have already yanked it out of the car but I am not sure what that will do to onstar, bluetooth, and whatever other sensors may be hiding in it.

Pulled up to STOP, checked right, checked left, checked right again as I started easing into the intersection then BAM! There it was.
That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp… scared the KR@P outta me!

I'm goin to a dealer this weekend to try and play mix-n-match but if someone has a real solution or even a serious idea please help.

GM, if you are listening, please address this issue for ALL Camaros… now. Hey, I said Please!

try using side view mirrors they work pretty good i heard

IROCanSS 05-28-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 526214)
WTF are you talking about. You are not making anysense. How would the rearview mirror make you run into a car.

:iono: I think he is saying he wants to replace his mirror with a different one but is concerned about losing the onstar??

I take it as he is not happy about the blind spot. Its the price you pay for driving this car. Try driving a corvette. In the mirror you see into the trunk, the entire top of the car and a dental floss line that is out the back window. Not to mention the side view blind spots. This aint your mommas caddy here, you have to pay closer attention and deal with the slightly obstructed view.

GMtothecore 05-28-2009 08:10 AM

that sucks....I've not sat in one yet, so I can not concur with this.

LadiesMan217 05-28-2009 08:11 AM

He means that that rear view mirror is too large and causes a major blindspot. The Prius was directly behind the mirror (in his line of sight).

LadiesMan217 05-28-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 (Post 526226)
try using side view mirrors they work pretty good i heard

He's not talking about backing up.

Looking out the windshield, the rear view mirror caused a blindspot.

N6504X 05-28-2009 08:14 AM

How tall are you? It sounds like you need to lower your seat. Wait, do they lower? Yes, I think so, it's a six way power seat. Hmmm....

Dr Jkel 05-28-2009 08:15 AM

Same thing in the Hummer H-3, just got to be more careful

jtzako 05-28-2009 08:20 AM

Are you sitting with your head touching the roof? I dont see how the mirror could cause a blind spot like that. Maybe make it harder to see something higher up like stoplights or signs, but surely not a vehicle.

wyocamaro 05-28-2009 08:20 AM

I don't see thte issue driving mine. At 6'2" and a sunroof, I am maxed out at top, and it seems ok. remeber and spend more time.

JDBeck23 05-28-2009 08:27 AM

I agree that the mirror is a little on the large side. But I think you need to adjust your seat/driving style to this car. The way they designed it, the exterior styling took a huge priority over practicality... as it should, it's a muscle car!

Not a bad idea to swing by the dealer to see if you can find a smaller onstar mirror. Im sure some GM cars have smaller mirrors. Let us know what you find out, it may be a common modification if we can find a plug and play replacement straight from GM.

McGruff 05-28-2009 08:27 AM

You obviously need to adjust your seat...you shouldn't be at direct eye level with your rear view mirror.