Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Another Truck wants a piece of me.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325269)

SixGracing 10-27-2013 06:40 PM

Another Truck wants a piece of me....

Maybe I'm old fashioned or maybe just misinformed. What's the deal with giant, four wheel drive trucks blowin black smoke all over the place and wanting to race muscle cars? I swear I get one clown a week who wants to go. If they aren't crawling up my tailpipe prompting me to go faster, they're taking off from a light like a bat out of hell.

I've seen some of these beasts running some pretty impressive times but it's a very small crowd. But now, every kid with a diesel motor and a performance chip or program wants to race. So far I haven't given them the satisfaction, and more than likely the dissatisfaction of losing. I feel it's a waste of time. But I'm sure 99% of them aren't going to run an 11 second 1/4 and if they can't, they're wasting their time messing with the Reaper. :)

Anyone else seeing this trend?

PS- my truck's for pulling boats and camping.

96MrBass 10-27-2013 06:58 PM

I find it so funny to just pull away like grandpop when they are provoking you to get on it. :lol:

SixGracing 10-27-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96MrBass (Post 7132667)
I find it so funny to just pull away like grandpop when they are provoking you to get on it. :lol:

Mostly, I don't understand "Why" you would want a fast truck? I could see a fast 2 wheel drive like the Ford Lightening or the GMC Typhoon. But Big Dually diesels and 4X4's? What's the attraction?

Bad@ssCamaro 10-27-2013 07:14 PM

Got a guy at work who's got a diesel Dodge truck and he calls it his "hot rod" because of the 300+ HP that's capable of more with just a chip. He laughs when he tells me the story of blowing by imports with fart cans, but I don't recall him bragging about racing anything with muscle. :lol:

caper 10-27-2013 07:20 PM

a fast truck is awesome!!! you have a truck that will run with a stock SS, maybe faster with min work, can pull your boat, load up the whole family in comfortably , and go off road in. and drive in the winter. and haveing one thats a diesel 4x4 is much better than a lightning etc...and faster too!

some of these trucks are silly fast for something thats 8k lbs. they probably think you r stock, so they want to mess with you...and even if they dont think you are, they are still obviously curious...

BlaqWhole 10-27-2013 07:37 PM

Its just for fun. I had a guy in a Chevy truck with the LS2 in it pulling a huge trailer pull up next to me and try to race. Stuff like this is just people seeing a sports car and having a little fun. It isn't like he was gonna race for pinks. I've had people pull up trying to race but they just wanted to see me take off from a light. Just a little fun on an otherwise boring mundane day.

Nightmare2012 10-27-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaqWhole (Post 7132801)
Its just for fun. I had a guy in a Chevy truck with the LS2 in it pulling a huge trailer pull up next to me and try to race. Stuff like this is just people seeing a sports car and having a little fun. It isn't like he was gonna race for pinks. I've had people pull up trying to race but they just wanted to see me take off from a light. Just a little fun on an otherwise boring mundane day.

What he said!! I saw a zr1 with a cam a few months back when u was just cammed and I knew I was going to get blown out if the water I just wanted to see that thing go!!

kevint 10-27-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixGracing (Post 7132696)
Mostly, I don't understand "Why" you would want a fast truck? I could see a fast 2 wheel drive like the Ford Lightening or the GMC Typhoon. But Big Dually diesels and 4X4's? What's the attraction?

Don't mean to pick, but the Typhoons and Syclones were all-wheel drive.

Synyster 10-27-2013 09:50 PM

Lol just a LBZ or 6.0L Powerstroke with a good tune will kill a stock SS. The diesel drivers know this, thus they will want to test you out to see if YOU can hang. Good thing you aren't stock.

SixGracing 10-27-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevint (Post 7133219)
Don't mean to pick, but the Typhoons and Syclones were all-wheel drive.

Yeah you're right. I was focused on 4 wheel drive trucks like Dodge Rams, Ford 250/350's, the new Chevy's etc. Not the little mini trucks. But I get it. :)

SixGracing 10-27-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synyster (Post 7133235)
Lol just a LBZ or 6.0L Powerstroke with a good tune will kill a stock SS. The diesel drivers know this, thus they will want to test you out to see if YOU can hang. Good thing you aren't stock.

Yeah, I have seen some crazy fast trucks running at the drags. And yes, thank God, it would be a little off putting to see a big four wheel drive truck pulling away from your supposed muscle car. Just like the occasional DSM or Honda that runs 9's. Crazy. Obviously there's always going to be someone out there faster, but the truck thing seems to be pretty big right now. I saw a big Dodge Ram on a trailer at the drags, being pulled by another big Dodge Ram. I guess one was his truck truck and the other was his drag truck. haha.

I know what you mean about it being fun too. I had a kid pull up to me in a new Taurus SHO. He wanted to go so I obliged him. I beat him of course. He pulls up, rolls his window down and said, "just wanted to see". So I think there are curious people out there. My car doesn't sound stock and with my wheels and tires and my "REAPER" windshield banner and a license plate that says UWANAGO, I will probably always attract those wanting to see what I or they can do. Good times.

Disclaimer: All talk of racing was on an organized track or an acceleration up to the local speed limits. No law or individual was harmed in any of the stories posted. :)

midnighter 10-27-2013 10:42 PM

It's little man syndrome.

aggieguy13 10-27-2013 10:54 PM

I have a buddy with a 1200hp 3500 dodge. And another with a 1100hp 2500hd gm. Both run 10s.

LimaCharlie 10-27-2013 11:28 PM

Truck performance is popular because of their "sleeper" status. People don't expect a truck to be fast and it's impressive when they actually are. Other than weight, trucks are a great platform for straight-line performance too. They have solid rear axles, RWD/4WD, solid boxed frames, etc. 4WD is popular because it allows the trucks to launch hard (similar to AWD Evo's, WRX's, GTR, etc.). Trucks are also very cheap, especially ones that are around 10+ years old. Many people pick up a 10 year old Silverado/Sierra for cheap and drop money into the performance stuff. In most cases, it will still be chepaer than a new Camaro (for example) and it will be faster.
People want diesel's because they are severely detuned from the factory. A simple handheld tuner will give you another 150+ ft lbs. of torque. Real tuning along with a built drivetrain will give you crazy results.