Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Speaker Install (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123352)

calbert1999 04-27-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriartii (Post 2713661)
This is a nice write up.

Couple of things:
1. Would you be willing to go back and edit your pics, specifically pointing out the clip locations and what not? You can use mspaint to do this.

2. Also did you mess any clips or break any fasteners when doing this?

I ask these two questions only because this looks like a major pain and this photo right up is excellent. With the addition of the fastener points it would make it perfect.

Cheers
K

I agree; for noobs like me who'd be stupid enough to attempt something like this it would be nice to see the connector points, tools used, and the technique used to pry off the pieces.

YOUNGnRECKLESS 04-28-2011 09:35 AM

quick question here, i have an amo and sub and aftemarket speakers are my next venture. When I installed a new DDIN head unit, upon raising the volume more than halfway, my speakers would distort. does this just mean i need new front and rears? or should i get a 4 channel amp when i replace them as well? Sorry to post here, but no one has been able to answer me anywhere else....would love some help

Moriartii 04-28-2011 09:47 AM

I think it means dont raise your volume more than half way. :)

I believe it would be a good idea to replace the speakers as the OEM ones dont have a huge range (range as in power handling), so when you send more power to them you are over driving them I believe.

Or if you have the aftermarket amp connect to the speakers you could try changing your gains I forget it is it raising or lowering them.

Cheers
K

Topdown 04-28-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS (Post 3153828)
quick question here, i have an amo and sub and aftemarket speakers are my next venture. When I installed a new DDIN head unit, upon raising the volume more than halfway, my speakers would distort. does this just mean i need new front and rears? or should i get a 4 channel amp when i replace them as well? Sorry to post here, but no one has been able to answer me anywhere else....would love some help

that seems odd that at 50% volume your distorting. are they REALLY loud and distorting or just distorting at moderate volume?

Its possible that there is something in the Metra kit thats causing the distortion and you just dont hear it at low volumes. There are a lot of connections between the head and the metra

Its possible that your overdriving the speakers (as Moriartii stated)

Its possible that the powered amp in your head unit is THAT bad... though with most mainstream heads, your going to get a much cleaner signal than an OEM head and it will be stable to a higher volume...

If you DO decide to get new speakers, I would suggest an aftermarket amp to power them instead of the amp within the head unit... while not typically as bad as you are describing, they are notoriously poor performers.

YOUNGnRECKLESS 04-28-2011 01:41 PM

thanks for the info fellas!!!!

It's at a high volume. I have a Pioneer 3200bt and when i hit volume 20 or higher they distort, but the volume goes to 30 or more I believe....was just wondering.

I like how loud they are, just sometimes you always want more haha.

Again, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it somemore

Sean

Darth Martel 04-28-2011 04:38 PM

The speakers just can't handle that much power. When you get replacements they'll handle it much better. I think the stock speakers are only rated for 20Watts and that Pioneer unit probably puts out 50Watts. I can turn my Pioneer up to around 25 or so without any distortion on my Kicker speakers.

nancygrl 05-05-2011 01:30 PM

Excellent write up/procedure. Although I've done plenty of installs over the years, I think I'll wait a little bit before attempting this. Certainly an "Add to Favorites" :thumbsup:

kiteman 01-19-2012 02:53 PM

old thread so apologies for the revival. but why can't you just remove the speaker covers and pull the 6x9s out and replace them that way? i totally don't see why it's necessary to pull any panels out since after all, you're replacing speakers only and not panels. any explanation or help is appreciated.

jfcody3962 01-19-2012 08:37 PM

speakers are top mounted into the rear deck. they have to come out from the top and the only way to get them out is to remove the entire rear deck. The speaker grill tops do not just lift off.

kiteman 01-19-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfcody3962 (Post 4347220)
speakers are top mounted into the rear deck. they have to come out from the top and the only way to get them out is to remove the entire rear deck. The speaker grill tops do not just lift off.

wow that sucks. way easier just to add a sub and disable those 6x9s than replace them with some 6x9 woofers...

ecko04 02-20-2012 05:42 PM

These were a certified P.I.T.A. ...put a stamp on em'

PIPE 02-21-2012 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Old thread but great write up. Just to give my .02, I kept reading how the back seat back was such a PITA to get off the hinges. When removing mine I decided to spare the headache and just take a chance by removing the 4 bolts and 1 nut that hold the back seat bracket down. Was so much easier and also was able to do this by myself without scratching any interior. A few pics of the seat with bracket attched below.

Chad's ZL1 03-17-2012 12:06 AM

:thumbsup:

montej23 04-10-2012 11:14 AM

Good write up and comments all this does not appear to be very difficult and will be doing this very soon in the near future.