Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Stock Brakes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290921)

toehead93 04-22-2013 04:56 PM

Stock Brakes

For those that have tracked your 1LE, how have the stock brakes been for you? I have Hawk HP+ pads, stainless braided lines, and ATE superblue fluid and my first track day I had no barking issues. Although the track was not break heavy configuration. I am thinking about upgrading my 1LE when it arrives with CTS-V front breaks but I am curious to see how you guys are doing with the stock setup.

cornerspeed92 04-22-2013 05:36 PM

Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.

Nick S 04-22-2013 08:34 PM

Regarding the stock 1LE brakes do the 1LE's come with different pads than the regular SS's? I know the calipers are the same (besides the paint color) but I wasn't sure about the pads.

toehead93 04-22-2013 09:24 PM

Same from everythin I have seen but not 100 percent on that.

Bad@ssCamaro 04-22-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6455529)
Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.

Yes, I've read that switching out to SS brake lines will give you an improved feel to the brakes. :nod:

Nick S 04-23-2013 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.

Synner 04-23-2013 05:03 PM

HP+ will crap out on you if you use them hard, too low of a heat range.

And there are no bearings in calipers, they're probably talking about the upgraded wheel bearings which will help with lateral loads and nothing to do with braking. Yet another reason why dealers aren't who you should get performance info from.

But then again, it's all ball bearings these days.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...w/fletch04.jpg

Phdpsy 04-23-2013 07:24 PM

First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.

cornerspeed92 04-23-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phdpsy (Post 6460589)
First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.

Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.

Abdi 04-23-2013 07:58 PM

I have a TPW of 4/22 for my 1LE so I have no experience with this particular car. Needless to say I can't wait to get in the seat.

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.

Abdi 04-23-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick S (Post 6459884)
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.

I agree with the fellow who said the dealership is probably not the best place for accurate information because the wheel bearings are not a part of the caliper, but there is a possible improvement in brake pedal feel/ travel/response with a stiffer wheel bearing.

That improvement would be noticed in the "knock back" of the pads and caliper piston after high cornering loads when comparing the deflection of the two different wheel bearings.

Phdpsy 04-24-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6460680)
Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.

This is the one I had PM'd you about. It is a group of three TX BMW CCA clubs that got together for it. back at the end of last year. It was offered to members of those groups first, ad sold out in a day. I've been trying to watch for who else might be runing there later this year, but it is hard to get info. The Driver's Edge (the group I generally run with in TX...thedriversedge.net) was the first private group to run at COTA and it went great from my friends that ran it. They are likely going to set it up for at least annually. Might contact Rick (owner) through their site and ask. If I run across other upcoming events there, I'll PM you.

Dropspeed 04-24-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abdi (Post 6460781)

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.

I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! :).

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt

Abdi 04-24-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dropspeed (Post 6462437)
I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! :).

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt

I totally overlooked the fluid on my list, thank you for bringing that up. I would replace the fluid just like you, when the lines get replaced.