Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Elite catch can post install (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280495)

Chevyman2 03-02-2013 02:49 AM

Elite catch can post install

Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.

Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks

christianchevell 03-02-2013 08:06 AM

Frankly i do not know as I have no noticable sounds from the line on my ss, let alone enough blowby with 1500 miles for squat, and shouldnt have for at least 70k..........The pcv system on cars is in the day a large ball bearing that when positive pressure dictated by building up enough allowed the ball to move up in the "pcv" valve venting the pressure to recirculate the gas to the carb..........Many racers would just use a vent cap with a oil screen it it and vent any pressure to outside air as any gain is really negligible to the gas mileage..........And thats your history of the pcv that the catch can may catch some oil blowby from.....Only when the cylinder heads valve seals have leaked enough pressure to build it up enough to in the old days push a ball bearing up.........and then only from one side of the top of the valve covers..........Where the cpv is now on the ss is just a link too both sides of of the cylinder heads probably as i have not torn down one of these engines to see the internals, your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?

Bodih 03-02-2013 08:32 AM

Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.

111wfb 03-02-2013 09:14 AM

What's a catch can?

Calikenn 03-02-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111wfb (Post 6235730)
What's a catch can?

Happy reading! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109416

heRS 03-02-2013 09:49 AM

Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good.

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.

Chevyman2 03-02-2013 11:05 AM

your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?[/QUOTE]

Going to double check make sure didn't nick anything

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodih (Post 6235610)
Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.

stock did not touch

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111wfb (Post 6235730)
What's a catch can?

happy reading

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calikenn (Post 6235791)

:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by heRS (Post 6235853)
Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good. Elite can no drain tube...

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.

PalmerGA 03-02-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calikenn (Post 6235791)

:sm0::sm0::sm0:

Chevyman2 03-02-2013 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's working properly because it is catching oil and none is visible anywhere else .

I am thinking it the tubing/ hose since not as rigid causes turbulence therefore I hear what can be described as a vacuum leak sound after warmup.
Pic show of oil caught thus far

PalmerGA 03-02-2013 11:30 AM

I have an RX CC so I'm not familiar with yours but, I think we're talking really low pressure here. There are several other hoses/tubes conected to your engine - have you checked to see that you didn't crack some other fitting or loosen a hose while installing the CC?

SC2150 03-02-2013 12:20 PM

Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

:thumbsup:

Calikenn 03-02-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman2 (Post 6235307)
Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.

Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks

Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!

Chevyman2 03-02-2013 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calikenn (Post 6236321)
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!

Yep

Chevyman2 03-02-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6236283)
Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

:thumbsup:

That's what I think there is lots of flow.