Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Track Weekend Review of RacingBrake 2 piece rotors (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294470)

Virus 12-04-2013 11:26 AM

Track Weekend Review of RacingBrake 2 piece rotors

Their 6 pot for the camaro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc 12-04-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus (Post 7235497)

That is downright beautiful!

Virus 12-04-2013 12:28 PM

I really can't wait to buy these and give them a go at VIR in march.

The Stig 12-04-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus (Post 7235497)

Do I even want to know how much that's going to set me back.

SPCBA 12-04-2013 03:57 PM

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1337

discussion of their 6 pot for the camaro

The Stig 12-04-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 7236178)
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1337

discussion of their 6 pot for the camaro

Crazy that their's a Stig on the Racing Brake forum too

:bellyroll:

JDP Motorsports 12-05-2013 10:02 AM

I think the CTS-V Mono-Block Brembo is a superior caliper to the RB 2-piece caliper and it is cheaper.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Virus 12-05-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports (Post 7238060)
I think the CTS-V Mono-Block Brembo is a superior caliper to the RB 2-piece caliper and it is cheaper.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

What makes you say that?

JDP Motorsports 12-05-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus (Post 7238132)
What makes you say that?

The 2-piece calipers can have a fair amount of deflection in them and the "bridge" on the RB calipers is a bolt. We run the Stop Tech 2-piece calipers as well as the 2-piece Wilwood calipers which have actual bridges in most cases. The mono-block design is simply better however in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of confidence in RB products from personal experience.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

The Stig 12-05-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports (Post 7238156)
The 2-piece calipers can have a fair amount of deflection in them and the "bridge" on the RB calipers is a bolt. We run the Stop Tech 2-piece calipers as well as the 2-piece Wilwood calipers which have actual bridges in most cases. The mono-block design is simply better however in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of confidence in RB products from personal experience.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Really? Can I ask what happened that you don't like Racing Brake? I ran their rotors and absolutely loved them.

Was it their rotors you had an issue with, or the rake pads, or what?

JDP Motorsports 12-05-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7238166)
Really? Can I ask what happened that you don't like Racing Brake? I ran their rotors and absolutely loved them.

Was it their rotors you had an issue with, or the rake pads, or what?

I was using their rotors in early development of our CTS-V package and I completely split one after 4 track days on street tires with a DTC-30 pad compound which isn't super aggressive; I'd hate to see what happens on an R-Compound set up. They were also very difficult to work with so we stopped using and offering their products.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

The Stig 12-05-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports (Post 7238182)
I was using their rotors in early development of our CTS-V package and I completely split one after 4 track days on street tires with a DTC-30 pad compound which isn't super aggressive; I'd hate to see what happens on an R-Compound set up. They were also very difficult to work with so we stopped using and offering their products.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Did you contact Racing Brake when it happened and asked them why they thought the rotor cracked?

Firefighter 12-05-2013 01:11 PM

Not picking any sides... but I remember a few years back when Baer came out with their Mono Block Calipers it was a big deal for the same reasons Jordan pointed out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JDP Motorsports 12-05-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7238399)
Did you contact Racing Brake when it happened and asked them why they thought the rotor cracked?

I did and I didn't get very far. I was actually pretty put off the way they treated me especially considering we run one of the fastest roadcourse/autocross 5th Gens in the country.. I actually just threw them away a few weeks ago but I kept the center hats... That was an expensive experiment.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

SSSoon 02-13-2014 11:21 AM

A small update on my warped rotor story from earlier in this thread.

For those who don't want to look it all up, I had slotted RB fronts that warped when using Hawk DTC-30s on the track. Machined the rotors and switched to Cobalt Friction pads. After one day on the track, the rotors were warped again (though only slightly this time).

Bought new rings from RB, sent old ones back and asked them to look at them. They credited me for 90% of the cost of the rings - company stands behind their product. I think there was something wrong with the rotors I had, because I have driven those tracks before on OEM rotors and pads, no problem, no warping.

Interestingly, RB now no longer sells the specific rotors I had bought. What they sell now are 32 mm wide, 20.5 lbs each. What I bought last fall was thinner (I forget exactly what - 30mm?) and lighter. RB told me it was a change that had nothing to do with product performance. But, given my odd situation with the last rotors, I am actually happy that these ones are now the same width as OEM rotors, even if they are heavier than what they used to be.

I ended up adding brake ducts to help manage the heat situation up front, so I am no longer worried about overheating. But still.

Link for duct project:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=255468&page=5

Pete

Mikamaro 01-20-2015 02:53 PM

Everyone here, still happy with their RB 2-piece Rotors?
What's their expected track life? (from real experiences)
:clock:

markgws6 08-06-2015 12:51 PM

I plan to only use my RB rotors for the street and possibly auto-cross. As others have mentioned, serious track use (myself included), will get the stockers put back on and I plan to go Cobalt Friction pads based on many people here that drive hard and have had good results with those on track. I don't plan on getting the CTS-V or ZL1 setup anytime soon. So far I've had no issues at all with my RB rotors, and I have the Hurst edition ones, but I've only driven about 100 miles on them. I will report back with more mileage.

ZL1-V 08-08-2015 07:24 PM

Racing Brake CCM-X rotors

I just switched over from the stock ZL1 caliper and RB two piece rotors. I ran the original GM pads up to 36K! I now have the Racing Brake Camaro kit which is the prototype. Burnished the pads today after 50 stops! I missed this weekend Speedventures track day at Fontana!

JusticePete 08-26-2015 12:07 PM

:pop2:

markgws6 11-20-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markgws6 (Post 8572137)
I plan to only use my RB rotors for the street and possibly auto-cross. As others have mentioned, serious track use (myself included), will get the stockers put back on and I plan to go Cobalt Friction pads based on many people here that drive hard and have had good results with those on track. I don't plan on getting the CTS-V or ZL1 setup anytime soon. So far I've had no issues at all with my RB rotors, and I have the Hurst edition ones, but I've only driven about 100 miles on them. I will report back with more mileage.

I have had some problems now and hear bad scraping sounds with the rear RB rotors. However, RB has been responsive and plans to send fixed parts to me to get them fixed. I've not had any other problems up till now (2+ months of street driving.)

Mgizzle 11-20-2015 07:56 PM

Jordan is spot on with monoblock vs. 2 pc calipers. After some hardcore tracking the two pc will simply leak. Those two surfaces move under temperature, especially if you have air blowing on the inside half but none on the outwards due to rim.

I still dont understand why nobody runs the AP racing Radicals for same money as this two pc, smaller brake system?!? Two pc caliper for $3800........hmmmmmm

Wow...just realized they use same pads so same surface area and lower rotor ring mass?!?!?! So less heat sink in system.....equals higher pad temps equals more pad fade. I dont think this system will perform better than the OEM 6 piston....not even close to the radical system.

Avalnch 11-20-2015 11:30 PM

I've struggled with upgrading to a 6-piston setup for a long time, but since installing my front brake ducts, I have had ZERO issue with overheating the brakes.

The Brembo SS stock calipers are just fine for your typical track day use. They are super easy to swap out the pads too. However, I must say that we never experience extremely hot days here in Vancouver.

JusticePete 11-22-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 8747985)
Jordan is spot on with monoblock vs. 2 pc calipers. After some hardcore tracking the two pc will simply leak. Those two surfaces move under temperature, especially if you have air blowing on the inside half but none on the outwards due to rim.

I still dont understand why nobody runs the AP racing Radicals for same money as this two pc, smaller brake system?!? Two pc caliper for $3800........hmmmmmm

Wow...just realized they use same pads so same surface area and lower rotor ring mass?!?!?! So less heat sink in system.....equals higher pad temps equals more pad fade. I dont think this system will perform better than the OEM 6 piston....not even close to the radical system.

:word: