Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   1LE specific tire, traction control question... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297873)

natmad 05-26-2013 12:33 PM

1LE specific tire, traction control question...

I've only test driven a 1LE and I am aiming to get one. The 1LE package is the main reason I want a Camaro now. It was fun to drive slowly, so I'm sure it will be fun to drive spiritedly.:thumbup:

So considering the 1LE specific tires, how does the traction control react to very quick standing street starts using moderate wheelspin in normal AND competitve modes? Obviously, my question does not invovle street racing, just quick street starts for fun. Does anyone drive all the time in competitive mode and does the car revert to normal mode after shutdown?

Thanks... and I've seen a silver 1LE running around Cary, NC recently... anyone here? If so PM me, I'd like to take a closer look without chasing you down next time... lol.

Phdpsy 05-26-2013 03:55 PM

On the street I have not been able to tell much difference from a standing start. Also, for general street driving (even on winding roads) you really are not going to tell much difference in normal vs. comp modes. When you really push the car the normal mode nannies kick in much sooner than during comp mode.

Yes, each time the car is shut off, it will return to normal mode. You have to select comp mode each time.

Bauer2 05-26-2013 05:07 PM

Even in normal mode it lets you have a little fun before telling you to knock it off.

Sent from the fast lane!

newb 05-26-2013 08:37 PM

It was noted by another user( I don't remember who) that the steering feel changes with the modes now. With the addition of EPS they can change the weight if the steering on the fly and it's linked to the TC modes.

KlugSS 05-26-2013 08:39 PM

If you are worried about it turn it all off, or at least as close as you can on a new gm.

KlugSS 05-26-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newb (Post 6592652)
It was noted by another user( I don't remember who) that the steering feel changes with the modes now. With the addition of EPS they can change the weight if the steering on the fly and it's linked to the TC modes.

This is true... Put 500 miles on it already and never noticed until i went out and tried it.

newb 05-26-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlugSS (Post 6592659)
If you are worried about it turn it all off, or at least as close as you can on a new gm.

Hold the TC button for 7 seconds and it all turns off. ST and TC. Be warned, many a car have been crashed unnecessarily by doing so. It is an ongoing argument here as to wether you should on public streets. My personal opinion is do whatever you want but it really isn't necessary in daily driving situations. Competitive mode gives you plenty of wiggle room with the computer back up to help correct the unexpected. Even the pros get in over there head from time to time.

tramtwo 05-26-2013 11:30 PM

The 1LE has ZL1 specific tires. 4 front ones to be exact.

tramtwo posted this on the go

BigBlock69RS 05-26-2013 11:40 PM

I'd leave it all on, if you are driving that hard to make them kick in, you probably want them on at that point. The downside to turning them off is much greater than leaving them on for 99.9% of people myself included ( I leave them on at the track)

CrystalRedTintcoat 05-27-2013 12:33 AM

This doesn't answer exactly what you're asking but I thought it related enough to share the summary chart I created for all the available driving mode.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...hmentid=464436

I keep mine in Normal driving mode all the time and did so at the track too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

racerx1214 05-27-2013 07:59 AM

Normal mode gives you plenty of room to hang yourself.

L99CAMA2011 05-27-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS (Post 6593267)
I'd leave it all on, if you are driving that hard to make them kick in, you probably want them on at that point. The downside to turning them off is much greater than leaving them on for 99.9% of people myself included ( I leave them on at the track)

Don't want to crash that bad boy tracking it now do you.

natmad 05-27-2013 12:04 PM

"CRT", Thanks for the electronic nanny chart, very nice. Interesting that the steering weight can't be tightened up without a change in traction control.

Right after starting the car, I will put the car in competitive mode to have a more playful driving experience when speed, road, and traffic conditions allow. Safety comes first, fun comes second.

I'm glad the car will revert to normal mode at startup in case anyone else in the family has to drive my car, over my dead... er, as a last resort.:fear:

newb 05-27-2013 02:52 PM

I stay in normal mode 99.9% of the time. The only time TC is intrusive is the occasional take off to get out in traffic. The car kind of falls on its face when TC thinks the wheel spin is too much. It may be the ST as I am also turning. (Usually too busy to see which light is flashing... Lol)