Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   1st Post and Intro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29442)

HaveBlue 06-26-2009 12:07 AM

1st Post and Intro

I didn't see an introduction section so I thought I'd start here.
I'm an independent manufacturers rep in the performance aftermarket (read contracted field sales people). I've been in the industry for 30 years starting in my Dad's speed shop, wholesale warehouse sales, worked for a major manufacturer, and as a rep.
I'm not here to sell you anything. I'm a huge Camaro fan and have owned many over the years. I've also owned a couple of 3.6VVT CTS' in the last 5 years.
What I'd like to do is be a conduit to you from the aftermarket. New products in the pipeline from not only the companies I represent but anyone I hear or see of working on Camaro parts.
I don't inventory parts or sell direct. I can't get you a deal or free parts.
I'll also give you the straight scoop on urban legends and what really works and what doesn't based on mine, my colleagues and my manufacturers experience.
I was first guy on the CTS Forum to actually take 3 different CAI's and run them on the same car/same dyno/same day to get a true comparison.

I know I'll say things that people won't agree with or may even offend vendors who have an investment in selling you parts. That's OK. I'm not here to argue, flame or start shite. Just pass on info and try to help you not make the same mistakes others (and I) have based on errornet info.

So that's my story. We'll see if this works.:chevy:

PieNsky 06-26-2009 12:12 AM

I look forward to reading about your work.

Xanthos 06-26-2009 12:15 AM

Welcome! Its good to have you here, and I look forward to hearing news from you (assuming our already talented mod-scouting guys don't beat you to it :thumbsup:).

That said, be careful and make sure to read the rules carefully - this site has very strict rules on what vendors can and can't do, and what counts as a vendor post. The mods can be forgiving, but they have a job to do.

Hope you enjoy your stay!
- X

HaveBlue 06-26-2009 12:44 AM

Thanks, I should be able to beat some of your spies, unless they work at the manufacturers :)

I have read the Forum Rules, and whole hearted agree. I only am interested in helping and informing. I've been on enough forums that I won't be dragged into arguments and bashing.

I didn't find and specific vendor rules, would you direct me to them. Although I'm not a vendor or have any parts for sale.

HaveBlue 06-26-2009 01:26 AM

As you are all finding out, the V6 is a bit of an uphill battle. I've been hounding manufacturers for years (since my first CTS) to make parts. But it's been viewed as a niche Cadillac motor with low potential for enough sales to recoup R&D costs. Notice how expensive some of the CTS stuff is? That's why.
The Camaro changes all of that. Chevrolet forecasts 70% of Camaro sales will be the V6.
But it's an unknown to most performance parts manufacturers. The LS motors have been around for 10 years now so, yeah, everyone jumps on that first. Cams, heads, manifolds, superchargers are all out there and just have to be adapted to the LS3 and Camaro platform.
The V6 stuff will come. Not soon enough for most of us, but it will come. I saw the post on the vendor area on wanted parts. That's pretty cool, but it only works if a manufacturer (and the right person at that factory) comes and looks for it and finds it. My suggestion is to email, call write, the factories that you want parts. They do track requests form phone calls and emails. This is the best way to influence them.

Also be aware that some factories won't make something and put their name on it if it doesn't work well enough. On the CTS Forums we saw very little benefit from exhaust systems, except sound. Not any hp/tq increase that justified the price of the systems. The factory system is pretty free flowing.
Plus with the massive number of PIDs that the Bosch system monitors if you upset the balance of the system yu can loose hp/tq. It's all got to work together.

PieNsky 06-27-2009 07:25 AM

So, what did you find when comparing the different CAI? The dyno of a cat back and CAI on a CTS had 31hp increase. What about tunes? You definitely need to post more.

John VS 06-27-2009 03:09 PM

Someone posted a dyno yesterday (I think) showing a new CAI upped the HP but dropped the Torque? Sound like anything you've seen on the CTS?