Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Horn honk on first press of lock button? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296753)

plan-b 05-21-2013 01:00 AM

Horn honk on first press of lock button?

My owner's manual is packed away in a box so I can't look up why my car is doing this. I haven't changed the remote lock settings and most of the time, the locking behavior is exactly what I remember reading in the manual. Namely, one press of the lock button on the key fob locks the doors silently. A second press will honk the horn for confirmation.

But recently, I've noticed that the horn honks on the first button randomly. I haven't been able to figure out anything in common from when it locks silently on one button press to when it locks audibly on one button press. I've checked the doors to make sure they're not cracked open. The trunk lid is always closed. And it happens regardless if the top is up or if I leave it down (I have a convertible).

Anyone know what the horn on the first button press is supposed to communicate?

KaBoom1701 05-21-2013 06:44 AM

Well I know in my 13 I can program this option using the radio head unit...

clg_98ta 05-21-2013 09:48 AM

Owners manual is available here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p..._DOCUMENTATION

ChriSS 05-21-2013 10:23 AM

Mine does this to sometimes, I don't know why it does it. I just unlock and relock the doors after it does to make sure they are locked. It's pretty annoying.

LnLSS 05-21-2013 10:42 AM

Same here 1 out every 10 times I lock the door it will give me the honk.

backbaconrules 05-21-2013 10:50 AM

Mine does this from time to time.

SlingShot 05-21-2013 11:33 AM

I keep all mine turned off, I find them very annoying. If you hit the lock button once, the car will lock the alarm will activate in 30 seconds and horn once. If you hit the button twice, the car will lock the alarm will set instantly and the horn will honk twice. You can set the whole thing in the config part of the radio.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-21-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b (Post 6569211)
My owner's manual is packed away in a box so I can't look up why my car is doing this. I haven't changed the remote lock settings and most of the time, the locking behavior is exactly what I remember reading in the manual. Namely, one press of the lock button on the key fob locks the doors silently. A second press will honk the horn for confirmation.

But recently, I've noticed that the horn honks on the first button randomly. I haven't been able to figure out anything in common from when it locks silently on one button press to when it locks audibly on one button press. I've checked the doors to make sure they're not cracked open. The trunk lid is always closed. And it happens regardless if the top is up or if I leave it down (I have a convertible).

Anyone know what the horn on the first button press is supposed to communicate?

Greetings,

Sincere apologies for this concern you're experiencing. Let me know if you'd like this issue inspected. Feel free to send a PM anytime!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

paul84043 05-21-2013 06:57 PM

I think what happens is that occasionally the vehicle "sees" two presses of the button....

usafboy 05-21-2013 09:08 PM

This happens to me to every now and then, glad to know its not just me. This happened both in my '11 v6 and now in my '10 SS

Top Thrill 05-21-2013 10:09 PM

Mine has been doing this for a long time. Sometimes the horn will sound on the first press and others I will need to press it the second time for the horn to sound. No rime or reason to it that I can tell.

Angrybird 12 05-21-2013 10:22 PM

I think it happens more as you use the fob more, the contacts get dirty and sometimes it will make and break contact twice with one push of the button. If you have two fobs and one is used a lot more than the other try switching fobs. My wife never uses hers and it doesn't do it when I borrow it but mine has been doing it a lot lately.

DandDC09 05-21-2013 11:01 PM

Could it be from a low battery in the fob? I have 75,000 on my '10 2LT and have never had the problem. I'm constantly driving my car daily. I've replaced the battery in my fob once, but started using my second fob after about a year and a half... Just a suggestion.... :iono:

plan-b 05-24-2013 05:02 PM

So after looking through the owner's manual, I'm going to try switching key fobs as mentioned here. I like having the audible notification option but it annoys me when it randomly honks. Otherwise, I may just disable it entirely. I don't like taking my car in for these random things cause I always end up leaving the dealership irritated. On my '05 Corvette, the tire pressure monitors would randomly tell me I had a flat when I didn't but the dealership could never reproduce it. Nor could they tell me why the battery would randomly drain on me.