Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Any AutoX'ers out there or Track day guys? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363000)

PolynesianPowerhouse 06-10-2014 04:37 PM

Any AutoX'ers out there or Track day guys?

Its been a while since I've been out to FATT (Fridays at the track) for summit point motorsports park.... and now in the new Camaro... I'm eager as two hungry hounds fightin over the last porkchop!

I know theres a multitude of questions of "whats the best" this and that, and I know there is NEVER a best... (been sayin the same thing on various other forums over the last 2 decades and some still don't understand it fully)

but I guess specifics is what I need help with off the fly.... been reading as many topics per night as I can... found out about the need for a bracing of the swaybar mount with some bars depending on strength. anyone feel its an inherent issue on all cars, or just a few certain years? I have a 2013...

secondly, out of all the swaybars, which are prob the most adjustable out there currently. On my charger, I just parted ways with, I had progress auto 35mm front bar and a 22mm rear bar, both 3 way adjustable. was looking for something similar if possible with the Camaro.

springs, i'll def be going with BC Racing coilovers as I did in the charger. the adjustability and price really cant be beat, unless someone has a secret setup they wanna share. I was even able to get custom springs made that were 30mm longer and 2kg stiffer thru Road Magnet locally..

anything else anyone recommends for this platform of car?

Synner 06-10-2014 05:22 PM

V6 or V8?
That will impact sway bars as you can't use the outboard mounts with non-brembo brakes.

If you do BC and go to the track a lot get the ER's that are double adjustable. A far better setup for track days and ones I've been putting through their paces for a couple years now.

What other power or suspension mods are you planning if any? There are other items I'd be doing for a track car. How much track time versus daily driving are you planning and are you concerned about harsh ride or noise/vibes?

PolynesianPowerhouse 06-10-2014 09:15 PM

2LS v6..

What's the mount issue you speak of? I plan to do the ss or ctsv swap within a month or two bit for now..still have the single piston gimmicks on there.

Like the charger and sport compacts before it...its a daily driver..also a weekend thing with being on the road with wrestling so when im 3-5 hours from home and doin a ppv that doesnt end till past midnight then have a drive home...it still should be tolerable.

Bushings were on the agenda... thankfully it doesnt have nearly as many as the charger/challenger/300 does..

Def dont want the solid mount bushings (solid chunk of aluminum) as was offered for the lx platform. Was looking into the inserts for the rear.

Track time with wrestling year round...in lucky if I clear 6 events in the car yearly.

Not planning any serious power adders. Im a n/a guy for the most part...but havent seen any legot cams or tuning for the v6.

Im used to tuning on a diablosport trinity.

But any more info on the inboard/outboard mounts you speak? If its alot to explain just clue me what terms to search for.

Appreciate the reply!

Also... bc only lists the br model coilovers...u get a custom set? Different spring rates?

JDP Sales 06-11-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse (Post 7734944)
2LS v6..

What's the mount issue you speak of? I plan to do the ss or ctsv swap within a month or two bit for now..still have the single piston gimmicks on there.

Like the charger and sport compacts before it...its a daily driver..also a weekend thing with being on the road with wrestling so when im 3-5 hours from home and doin a ppv that doesnt end till past midnight then have a drive home...it still should be tolerable.

Bushings were on the agenda... thankfully it doesnt have nearly as many as the charger/challenger/300 does..

Def dont want the solid mount bushings (solid chunk of aluminum) as was offered for the lx platform. Was looking into the inserts for the rear.

Track time with wrestling year round...in lucky if I clear 6 events in the car yearly.

Not planning any serious power adders. Im a n/a guy for the most part...but havent seen any legot cams or tuning for the v6.

Im used to tuning on a diablosport trinity.

But any more info on the inboard/outboard mounts you speak? If its alot to explain just clue me what terms to search for.

Appreciate the reply!

Also... bc only lists the br model coilovers...u get a custom set? Different spring rates?

Here are some pictures so you can visually understand the difference between the inboard/outboard rear sway bar designs.

Inboard/FE2/3
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/media/...0/3/031407.jpg

Outboard/FE4/5/6
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/media/...204-002-lg.jpg

You will need to upgrade to the rear Brembo calipers in order to use the outboard style sway bars as they will interfere with the stock V6 calipers.

Once you go with the outboard rear sway bar, endlink braces are no longer necessary.

I recommend the Detroit Speed sway bars; they are the best balanced setup we've tried so far. BMR is also a good and less expensive choice. Both are adjustable.

As for bushings, I would suggest a full replacement subframe bushing at the very least if not going with solid mounts. Inserts will help, but do not really resolve the issue. Other bushings to look into are the Upper control arm bushings (recommended to do with the subframe bushings due to overlapping labor) Toe rods/links, Trailing arms w/outer bushings, and some inserts for the front control arms.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions. We install and track test everything we offer and have one of the quickest 5th gens on the road when it comes to the twisties. :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Synner 06-11-2014 04:59 PM

Tyler explained the sway bar situation, I would definitely wait until you've done the brakes and then get the newer sway setup.

Although BC ER's have external oil canisters that won't let you use the outer mounts. The only sways I know that worked were Pedders but they're not being sold until their legal troubles are settled. I got mine from Cordes Performance, Joe@CPR.com is his user name on here. They were never on BC's site, I think they update it once a decade. Another option: https://www.wretched.co/suspension/c...coilovers.html

Ridetech has good coilovers and I would get them from JDP since they race what they sell and can steer you in the right direction on spring rates. They would also be compatible with current sway bar offerings.

I would do solid cradle bushings and then poly trailing arm and toe bushings. You won't get any added noise with that combo. I would also get very good track pads depending on how fast you run, how hard you drive, and how sticky your tires. I had 2 different sets of pads fail from heat before settling on Cobalt Friction pads. Run Motul RBF600 fluid or similar, get rid of the DOT3 junk before you ever go near a track.

PolynesianPowerhouse 07-18-2014 08:52 AM

Def appreciate the reply... whats the concensus over a rear control arm upgrade with bushings? Ive seen some billet and aftermarlet arms... has anyone had any issues with em? Or is it better to get thw bushings but still uswd the stamped stock ones to allow for some flex?

Woking on brakes and coilovers as we speak. Was rhinking of the bc' s due to prior use and they were amazing on a 4000 lb car doin autox and road course...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7736938)
Tyler explained the sway bar situation, I would definitely wait until you've done the brakes and then get the newer sway setup.

Although BC ER's have external oil canisters that won't let you use the outer mounts. The only sways I know that worked were Pedders but they're not being sold until their legal troubles are settled. I got mine from Cordes Performance, Joe@CPR.com is his user name on here. They were never on BC's site, I think they update it once a decade. Another option: https://www.wretched.co/suspension/c...coilovers.html

Ridetech has good coilovers and I would get them from JDP since they race what they sell and can steer you in the right direction on spring rates. They would also be compatible with current sway bar offerings.

I would do solid cradle bushings and then poly trailing arm and toe bushings. You won't get any added noise with that combo. I would also get very good track pads depending on how fast you run, how hard you drive, and how sticky your tires. I had 2 different sets of pads fail from heat before settling on Cobalt Friction pads. Run Motul RBF600 fluid or similar, get rid of the DOT3 junk before you ever go near a track.