Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Will the current 2.9 whipples fit on the ZL1's LSA (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212961)

xavier02832 03-30-2012 02:05 AM

Will the current 2.9 whipples fit on the ZL1's LSA

Like the title says, anyone know if the 2.9 whipples will fit/work on the new ZL1 LSA motors without modification?

adamgl 03-30-2012 06:55 AM

Hope so. That'd be a great upgrade. With some motor work too.

radz28 03-30-2012 08:20 AM

You won't be able to swap the Whipple blower on top of LSA like you could with past Mod'-motors. I believe those 5.4s and 4.6s had lower manifolds that you could reuse from the OEM blower assembly - however - LSA (and LS9) have the SC housing included as part of the entire SC assembly. The rotors and mechanicals are all part of the intake manifold, so in order to get any aftermarket SC onto LSA, one needs an entire assembly, like that used for SS.

Yes - it will work, but will be more expensive than the Ford kits used to be (as far as I remember). If that doesn't matter too much, then you will be just fine :D.

FWIW - unless you're going to be pushing considerable power - LSA is pretty stout, despite what many are giving it credit for. While it doesn't have the headroom as the Philly from Dearborn, I'm sure most won't push it past reliable limits. JMVHO.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 03-30-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:thumbsup:

radz28 03-30-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 4728374)
:thumbsup:

AH!!! Spank you very much :D:bow::respekt:

adamgl 03-30-2012 11:18 AM

Wonder if there are any CTS-V owners who've done this with the LSA?

hognutz 03-30-2012 12:33 PM

I would not spend the money on a compresor swap with without updgrading the internals.

Look at what hennessy does with the CTS-V. they don't add a ton of boost until they upgrade the internals. they can make more power though with ported heads, cam, headers etc. If I remeber there 700hp 11.2 et wagon is still with stock compressor.

radz28 03-30-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgl (Post 4729350)
Wonder if there are any CTS-V owners who've done this with the LSA?

There is a non-Sponsor who offers a Maggy 2300 kit and KB; I haven't noticed Whipples, but I can't see why they wouldn't apply. I think this company just happens to have used the ones that were available first. You can PM me, if you would like their name, but I can't post it. They are doing a lot of work on LSAs and make some really good power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hognutz (Post 4729796)
I would not spend the money on a compresor swap with without updgrading the internals.

Look at what hennessy does with the CTS-V. they don't add a ton of boost until they upgrade the internals. they can make more power though with ported heads, cam, headers etc. If I remeber there 700hp 11.2 et wagon is still with stock compressor.

The company I mentioned above uses a lot of stock 1900 parts and pushes that little thing to it's max. I believe their highest horsepower 1900 kit uses fuel, exhaust, and a complete top-end (H/C) and still pushes the compressor to 19 psi... I believe it comes in at more than 700 RWHP. I believe that's on a stock shortblock, too!

I'm not suggesting these guys are any better than Hennessey, however, Cadillac has used them many times for their SEMA cars, so if that's any indication on their quality, I'd say you are probably in safe hands. They actually manufacture CNC'd pulleys, plenum spacers, HEs, and a bunch of other stuff in-house using military grade materials.

There's definately more than one way to skin a kitty :D

Personally - my plan takes stealth into consideration (because of my areas considerable law enforcement due to street racing...): upper and lower pulleys, intercooler upgrade, very modest exhaust and intake mods' and probably mid-teens for boost. Considering ADM just showcased their Stage 1 CTS-V package (including the customer's own inlet tube), and produced 590 RWHP on a otherwise completely stock car, my modest 600 RWHP-goal should be pretty easy. I believe I won't be over-rev'ing the SC, and my IATs should be modest. Best of all - I'll enjoy the music of that little 1900 under throttle :D

A 2.9 Whipple certainly has the potential to go past reasonable OEM LSA power levels. Depending on your goals, that 2.9 will work less than the 1900 and should produce lower IATs at the same boost level. When Eatons 1900 rotors were initially announced, Magnuson said they should be good to about 700 FWHP, or so. Considering the information I posted above, it is easily capable of that at about 13 psi on a stock V'. I bet a Whipple could produce 600 RWHP at only about 10 psi (considering the really tame cam in LSA). I believe really being honest with your goal is paramount in making the best use of your money. A blower too big won't be as effective as a properly sized one.

JMVHO :)

Meister@Torq 04-01-2012 07:56 AM

Yes, the blower is capable of being installed but the LSA motor uses a different front cover and a 3 belt system. To make this work you would need to swap a ton of stuff, maybe some hard lines as well but we are up for it :-)

Whipple IS working on a 2.9L and some other blowers for the LSA/LS9 engine setups but it is months out at this time.

The 2.9L has major benefits over the 1.9L. Less boost to make similar HP, broader torque curve because of the discplacement, maximum rpm for future, cooler temperatures because of the efficiency and lower rpm.

We have done CTS-V's and know what they can take, what they cant, what the HP and torque curves look like with every possible combination.

We also do a ton of Ford vehicles with similar setups and I can tell you the 2.9L is a superior upgrade.

xavier02832 04-01-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister@Torq (Post 4738037)
Yes, the blower is capable of being installed but the LSA motor uses a different front cover and a 3 belt system. To make this work you would need to swap a ton of stuff, maybe some hard lines as well but we are up for it :-)

Whipple IS working on a 2.9L and some other blowers for the LSA/LS9 engine setups but it is months out at this time.

The 2.9L has major benefits over the 1.9L. Less boost to make similar HP, broader torque curve because of the discplacement, maximum rpm for future, cooler temperatures because of the efficiency and lower rpm.

We have done CTS-V's and know what they can take, what they cant, what the HP and torque curves look like with every possible combination.

We also do a ton of Ford vehicles with similar setups and I can tell you the 2.9L is a superior upgrade.

Thanks Paul :thumbsup:, not only did you answer my question but you explained the pros and cons of the whole process which is exactly what I was looking for. Goes to show why TORQ is my prefered one stop shop for all my preformance needs. YOU GUYS ROCK :headbang:

Keep up the good work guys :thumbup:

xx_ED_xx 04-01-2012 02:32 PM

Just pull it off and add turbos. Or do like I have seen on the zr1's and just add turbos...

xavier02832 04-01-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx (Post 4739190)
Just pull it off and add turbos. Or do like I have seen on the zr1's and just add turbos...

Thats not a bad idea :D

ADM PERFORMANCE 04-02-2012 08:57 PM

You want facts on all your ?

Call me anytime 9-5 M-F

2011RS/SS 04-21-2012 06:01 PM

my buddy collaborated with whipple on making a 2.9 whipple for the ctsv. It is crazy fast.

He is pushing around 850rwhp with a built stock cubed engine. His partner has a V with head/cam with stock internals and he is pushing around 750rwhp. The LSA engine can take the power but for how long remains the question