Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Do you really want a Boss Killer, aka Z28??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137803)

SQUALO 03-30-2011 07:19 AM

BRING IT ON, I WANT THE Z28!!!!!

:bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow:

Mikes SS 03-30-2011 08:02 AM

Of Course!! The Z/28 is not just a name plate for me!! Although I know that GM is not Burger King, but this would be my set up: High Rev 5.3L with better high flow heads, "hot cam", a better intake maybe from the LS3, factory shorty headers, high flow midpipes (Looking for 450HP), lighter rotating mass (wheels and tires) Carbon fiber hood, doors, fenders and trunklid, keep the creature comforts of heat and a/c (i believe to be only like a 50-75lb weight increase) NO ONSTAR, connectivity and stuff like that, light weight recaro seats (don't need heated seats) dont really need power windows, lighter weight tubular K-frame with A-arms instead of the weird looking set up we currently have and adjustable shocks/struts. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah and no pickles!

2cnd chance 03-30-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflow (Post 3027748)
The question should be, do ppl really want a Z28 model or not?

IMO, some of you guys just want this car because Ford brought out the Boss 302. Now yall want GM to respond and bring back the Z28. Just so you can say GM has a Camaro model that competes with Fords Boss 302. When 1st and foremost, GM needs the ZL1 to sell very well before even considering another Camaro model. JMHO!

Most of us Z28 guys were hoping the ZL1 would not be the Z28. It did not fit the mold. It was more of a uh well a ZL1. Most Z28 guys are traditionalist. I want a Z28 to be just that. Plus I won't spend the money thell be asking for the ZL1. It's a great car no doubt just not the Z28 I'm looking for. And I think GM believes that as well hence they named it a ZL1.

GrnMchin 03-30-2011 10:11 AM

Add me to the Z28 list..

anthonyj9h 03-30-2011 10:16 AM

probly wont happen till 2016 when the new alpha platform comes out

Black5thgen 03-30-2011 10:18 AM

I would buy a Z28 if it was a bare bones performer that's lighter, faster and handles better than the SS at a decent price.

Fightinfire921 03-30-2011 10:23 AM

New test picture of the new Z/28.

Can you see the Z/28 emblems on it?

Thank you alex33x for letting me use your car.

LoneCynic 03-30-2011 10:25 AM

Well, I have a somewhat unique perspective to add to this besides just saying "I want a Z28". I am definitely a minority segment, but possibly an important one. I currently have the 2011 Camaro LS M6 model. I did not buy the LS because I wanted better fuel economy or because I didn't have good enough credit to buy the SS. I bought the LS because it was the no frivolous extras model.

That's right, I didn't want backup sensors, a V8 that ran as a four cylinder half the time, bluetooth, Ipod connections, heated seats, etc, etc. I wanted a Camaro that was just an awesome car with the basics, because I wouldn't even use all that extra stuff if I had it, and I'm sure not going to pay for features I don't have a use for.

That brings me to the Z28 possibility. I would love to have a Camaro model that was focused solely on performance, and not on frivolous extras. A superior V8 without the half and half mode, no extras that aren't based on performance. An interior with the basics like my LS, but confidence that the higher price tag was for performance parts and not a bunch of stuff I don't want or need. THAT is the Z28 I'd go out and buy a second Camaro for. I wouldn't trade away my LS, I love it, but I would buy a second Camaro if it was a Z28.

a Z28 focused on performance and not frivolous extras is another Camaro I would buy. That is about the only way I see myself buying another one anytime soon. Mainly because all the SS models have too much in them that I don't need or even want. A 5th gen Z28 should be above the SS in performance, but akin to an LS in terms of extras. That's my 2 cents.

bada 03-30-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneCynic (Post 3029617)
Well, I have a somewhat unique perspective to add to this besides just saying "I want a Z28". I am definitely a minority segment, but possibly an important one. I currently have the 2011 Camaro LS M6 model. I did not buy the LS because I wanted better fuel economy or because I didn't have good enough credit to buy the SS. I bought the LS because it was the no frivolous extras model.

That's right, I didn't want backup sensors, a V8 that ran as a four cylinder half the time, bluetooth, Ipod connections, heated seats, etc, etc. I wanted a Camaro that was just an awesome car with the basics, because I wouldn't even use all that extra stuff if I had it, and I'm sure not going to pay for features I don't have a use for.

That brings me to the Z28 possibility. I would love to have a Camaro model that was focused solely on performance, and not on frivolous extras. A superior V8 without the half and half mode, no extras that aren't based on performance. An interior with the basics like my LS, but confidence that the higher price tag was for performance parts and not a bunch of stuff I don't want or need. THAT is the Z28 I'd go out and buy a second Camaro for. I wouldn't trade away my LS, I love it, but I would buy a second Camaro if it was a Z28.

a Z28 focused on performance and not frivolous extras is another Camaro I would buy. That is about the only way I see myself buying another one anytime soon. Mainly because all the SS models have too much in them that I don't need or even want. A 5th gen Z28 should be above the SS in performance, but akin to an LS in terms of extras. That's my 2 cents.

Amen to this. As I said a LSX block, LSX-DR heads. Bare bones bad ass Z/28. Without all the bells & whistles I would not use either.

LOWDOWN 03-30-2011 12:45 PM

8.0 lbs./hp., nimble, lighter than an SS, $40ish in "1ZE" form...my deposit awaits!

nards444 03-30-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 3027305)
I agree.
I'm guessing about $10,000. Difference between a ZL1 and a Z28. I'll take the Z28.
A lot of people who are planning to buy ZL1 are going to change their mind when the actual price is announced.

Ive been saying this for months. Everybody in here say oh ill pay whatever but when it comes down to it the price and the nuts and bolts of it your going to see a lot people back out. But with that said there is no promise of a Z/28 yet and some people act like its a for sure and its coming out

I would think a Z-28 coming out is going to depend somewhat on the success of the ZL1, what a successful number sold I dont know. But if GM only sells say less than 5,000 I dont see them coming out with another platform so quickly unless they can offer some thing thats maybe 10 grand cheaper than the ZL1 but has at least 50-75 more hp than the SS. Well see about the ZL1 not quite the hype that there was back in 2009 for the 2010 model and to be frank Ive heard nothing of the Zl1 besides C5.

Back to the original question. If the boss is faster and thats only what your looking for then I would say yes. If your lookin at price probably yes. If your looking at looks, brand loyal probably not. I just dont like Mustang with that said I wouldnt buy one and if thats all there was well I wouldnt have sports car

kbui 03-30-2011 02:04 PM

Sign me up for a Z/28 if GM can put one together that is:

1) 400lbs lighter
2) 15% increase in HP/TQ
3) SSX car suspension
4) $5-6K above the SS
5) ground effects
6) hugger orange paint

nards444 03-30-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbui (Post 3030774)

1) 400lbs lighter
2) 15% increase in HP/TQ
3) SSX car suspension
4) $5-6K above the SS
5) ground effects
6) hugger orange paint

think you would be hard pressed to see number 1. The rest seems real doable.

Mikes SS 03-30-2011 02:09 PM

No way, shouldn't cost more than a 2SS. Get rid of the 1SS and just insert Z/28. most of the things that are mentioned are "upgrades" but for the 2SS you are paying for convenience, leather, amenities...besides using a different engine aka upgraded 5.3L you should save money there by not using the LS3

nards444 03-30-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 3030800)
No way, shouldn't cost more than a 2SS. Get rid of the 1SS and just insert Z/28. most of the things that are mentioned are "upgrades" but for the 2SS you are paying for convenience, leather, amenities...besides using a different engine aka upgraded 5.3L you should save money there by not using the LS3

I would agree with you but at lot of people want the leather and crap and they will just pile it on top of their loan that they already cant afford to get it. I bought the 1SS because I was concerned more with performance than interior ammenties.

radz28 03-30-2011 02:35 PM

I definately would enjoy another option to consider. I'm all for Z28 coming back to show those phillies from Dearborn how to make a muscle car :D

Sawyer 03-30-2011 03:05 PM

I really hope they do. I will be buying.

2cnd chance 03-30-2011 06:05 PM

It's not gonna be 300 - 500 lbs lighter, impossible! Why a 5.3? It makes no sense. It will weigh the same and have less HP.
We need to be reasonable. Compare previous Z28's to the other Camaros of the same model year.
Very simply put it should be a Camaro version of the Boss, but of course it will be better!
Give us the Z28!

coolman 03-30-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z (Post 3029605)
New test picture of the new Z/28.

Can you see the Z/28 emblems on it?

Thank you alex33x for letting me use your car.

The real Z/28 wouldn't have GFX. Just another thing to add weight that offers no performance gain at all. To be a boss killer need theyt to get rid of stuff ,not add things for ornamental effect.

Mr Twisty 03-30-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 3031911)
It's not gonna be 300 - 500 lbs lighter, impossible! Why a 5.3? It makes no sense. It will weigh the same and have less HP.
We need to be reasonable. Compare previous Z28's to the other Camaros of the same model year.
Very simply put it should be a Camaro version of the Boss, but of course it will be better!
Give us the Z28!

Maybe he meant the new D.I V8 GM says they don't have :D

500 lbs lighter impossible, no. Improbable, yes. Could dump 500 lbs quick, but it would cost.

Like Number3 reminded us... the original Z/28 (street version) wasn't a stripped down race car. You could get it loaded with just about any option offered other than powertrain.

If you want an SSX, get a BIW, find a salvage car and go to work.

I'd like to see the Leno car produced.... I'd drive that happy little 450 hp 6-banger! :headbang:

2cnd chance 03-30-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 3032103)

500 lbs lighter impossible, no. Improbable, yes. Could dump 500 lbs quick, but it would cost.

Like Number3 reminded us... the original Z/28 (street version) wasn't a stripped down race car. You could get it loaded with just about any option offered other than powertrain.

I'd like to see the Leno car produced.... I'd drive that happy little 450 hp 6-banger! :headbang:

In context it is impossible.
I agree you could option it to be almost as much as a base vette.
I can't be any more clear; make it a Boss competitor. It should not be a "race car" it should be a street driven "race car". Two very different things. :cool:

wildpaws 03-30-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z (Post 3027813)
I wanted a Z/28 before the ZL1 or the Boss came out.

Ditto, I've been waiting for a Z/28 ever since the Camaro Concept was first show at the Detroit Auto Show in 2006!! My avatar picture was done by Dragoneye on this site long before the ZL1 was even a thought in anyone's mind, around Nov. 2007 with Z/28 emblems on it.
Clyde

wildpaws 03-30-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 3031942)
The real Z/28 wouldn't have GFX. Just another thing to add weight that offers no performance gain at all. To be a boss killer need theyt to get rid of stuff ,not add things for ornamental effect.

Hmmm, I seem to recall my '69 Z/28 having some GFX, though it was modest chin and trunk lid spoilers.
Clyde

wildpaws 03-30-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 3032103)

The first gen. Z/28s could only be loaded to a certain point. No vert, no AC, no auto tranny.
Clyde

Kyle2k 03-30-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbui (Post 3030774)

1) 400lbs lighter
2) 15% increase in HP/TQ
3) SSX car suspension
4) $5-6K above the SS
5) ground effects
6) hugger orange paint

lollerskates