Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Are the SS Brakes Drilled? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8836)

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-24-2008 07:52 AM

Are the SS Brakes Drilled?

I am learning alot here so I hope this is not a dumb question. I have seen alot of performance cars with holes drilled into the brake disc. Does anybody know if the SS is going to have this?

Inspector 17 10-24-2008 07:59 AM

From the recent posted pictures of the RS, it does not look like the brakes are drilled.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8801

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-24-2008 08:00 AM

But thats not a V8, I am hoping the V8 is since they do get the Brembo brakes.

Inspector 17 10-24-2008 08:04 AM

Check out this tread also:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133270

o2camaross 10-24-2008 09:33 AM

drilling and slotting is more of a cosmetic mod than a performance mod, dont get me wrong i love drilled and slotted rotors, i have theem on my 71 chevelle and they look BA, but they dont really help out any

blackZbandit 10-24-2008 12:16 PM

I though drilling and slotting helped in heat disipation that results in better brake performance, but mainly longer life.

headpunter 10-24-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackZbandit (Post 170452)
I though drilling and slotting helped in heat disipation that results in better brake performance, but mainly longer life.

slotting yes, but drilled rotors tend to get small cracks in them from daily driving, so Car companies tend to leave them off large production cars. it doesnt look good if people have discs cracking. Slotted rotors retain the strength and clear brake dust helping longevity of the disk. Even the New CTS-V doesnt have drilled rotors.

LSxJunkie 10-24-2008 05:39 PM

God I hope not. I hate drilled rotors. I hate the concept that poking holes in something that sees thousands of heat cycles, and I hate the misconception that drilled rotors will help you stop better.

LOLWTFBBQ C6Z rotors cracking on the track failzorz!

Quote:

Shorter life, if you're talking about pads. The slots shave the surface of the pad, which cleans them and gives you better pad surface and bite at the cost of life. I like slotted rotors. I'm a big fan. Cross drilled I'll gladly live without.

LT1Jeep 11-15-2008 02:10 PM

i put soem slotted rotors and hawk pads on my 99 tahoe (everyone who has an early chevy knows about brake inadequacies) and WOW you really could feel a difference! and i DIDNT change the calipers to anything bigger. I stand by slotted with a good pad. drilled i can live without.

zebra 11-15-2008 02:15 PM

i just asked a brakes guy about it yesterday & he said that unless you're doing some performance driving/braking, you're better of just leaving the stock rotors on. he also said that a lot of brake shops won't turn drilled rotors, so if you warp one, you just gotta bite it & buy another.

CamaroSpike23 11-15-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2camaross (Post 170297)
drilling and slotting is more of a cosmetic mod than a performance mod, dont get me wrong i love drilled and slotted rotors, i have theem on my 71 chevelle and they look BA, but they dont really help out any

with better pads and rotors coming from the factory, yes its more of a cosmetic thing, they do help, but unless you are carving corners or stopping from 150mph down the 1/4 mile all the time, you dont need it.

Quote:

yes and no, they do help with heat dissipation, which is the basics behind how brakes work, which can lead to your rotors lasting longer, but the pads will need to be replaced due to the slight amount of material removed from the slots and holes

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 170779)
God I hope not. I hate drilled rotors. I hate the concept that poking holes in something that sees thousands of heat cycles, and I hate the misconception that drilled rotors will help you stop better.

LOLWTFBBQ C6Z rotors cracking on the track failzorz!

Shorter life, if you're talking about pads. The slots shave the surface of the pad, which cleans them and gives you better pad surface and bite at the cost of life. I like slotted rotors. I'm a big fan. Cross drilled I'll gladly live without.

ive seen a lot of racing teams complain about fresh drilled rotors cracking after a race.... and how people condemn them... but one thing that needs to be taken into account with ANY brake setup, is that the pads and the rotors need to be seasoned before pushing them to their limits. and a lot of people dont do that.

ive got cross drilled and slotted rotors on my 94Z and have had them for nearly 2 years now and almost 40,000 miles and still have over half of my pads remaining. now, maybe I just got a damn good set of pads and rotors, but i can tell you that I rag the crap out of my car on the road and off and have yet to have a single crack.

not saying that everyone should go out and buy drilled and slotted rotors or slotted or drilled by themselves. it all depends on the vehicle and its uses.

tho, if you want to argue about drilled rotors some more.... here's a nice little vehicle that has drilled only rotors.... can you guess what it is?

do you know?

lol

SSmoked 11-15-2008 05:55 PM

^^ lol the zr1 brakes. arnt those like carbon ceramic. a little expensive for a daily driver on the camaro tho. it would be cool tho useing ur brakes alot at night to watch them slowly glow.
for people thinken about getting slotted or drilled or whatever. the more u pay the better u generaly get. i personly would fork out the money on a BBK(big brake kit) probly one from brembo, or progect mu.

CamaroSpike23 11-15-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSmoked (Post 192030)
^^ lol the zr1 brakes. arnt those like carbon ceramic. a little expensive for a daily driver on the camaro tho. it would be cool tho useing ur brakes alot at night to watch them slowly glow.
for people thinken about getting slotted or drilled or whatever. the more u pay the better u generaly get. i personly would fork out the money on a BBK(big brake kit) probly one from brembo, or progect mu.

lol thought you'd get a kick out of that.

brembo, baer, there are a lot of places to get them. 4th gen people love to brag about brake setups from the ws6store and are willing to buy them for a retarded price compared to buying them direct from the factory for less...

http://rotorwork.net/

great brakes, great prices.

2010_5thgen 11-15-2008 09:08 PM

no they arent. but i wish they would offer some through gmpp.