Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Will a Catch Can void my warranty? [Resolved!] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297045)

pmandeep 05-22-2013 08:03 AM

Will a Catch Can void my warranty? [Resolved!]

Hey guys,

As the title says, I wanted to find out if installing the catch can will void any sort of warranty on my new Camaro? Its only been 6 days since I got it and I asked about this at the dealership I got my Camaro from and the person seemed to not even know what the purpose of catch can is and told me not to bother installing it. So, I thought I would ask here. I have 3 Free dealer offered oil changes on my car. So the car will be going there for the first 3 oil changes and I am certain they will see the install. I also saw the images of the kind of gunk that could go back in the engine if I don't have a catch can, thanks to Elite Engineering thread on the forums created by Sales@JDP... :)

So back to the original questions. Does this void any of my warranties? The 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper or others that come along. (Sorry if its a silly question, but I am not well informed when it comes to this kind of topic and this is my first new car, so I would hate to screw it up.)

Thanks in advance. :D

Lil' Nasty 05-22-2013 08:18 AM

It wont

SC2150 05-22-2013 09:49 AM

It can't legally as long as it is not a model that vents to the atmosphere.

:thumbsup:

Angrybird 12 05-22-2013 09:54 AM

I have had mine on through 3 oil changes and they have never even mentioned it.

bowtiesonly 05-22-2013 10:53 AM

Install it , I had to explain to a Gm tech what it was one day and they acted like they didnt know either. They probably want you to just pay for an upper induction cleaning or something.

pmandeep 05-22-2013 11:09 AM

@Lil'Nasty @SC2150 and @Angrybird 12. Thanks for confirming that it won't void the warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtiesonly (Post 6574705)
Install it , I had to explain to a Gm tech what it was one day and they acted like they didnt know either. They probably want you to just pay for an upper induction cleaning or something.

I guess so. I talked to Tyler at JDP and ended up buying one, hoping that I will get it by this weekend for me to put it in. I ended up getting a black one, make it blend a bit more in the engine compartment for them to notice. :P

Lil' Nasty 05-22-2013 11:58 AM

:thumbup: post some pics when you install...when I had my car at the dealer with headers and all installed they didn't say a word but every dealer is different. I still don't like mine nonetheless lol

JDP Sales 05-22-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmandeep (Post 6574782)
@Lil'Nasty @SC2150 and @Angrybird 12. Thanks for confirming that it won't void the warranty.

I guess so. I talked to Tyler at JDP and ended up buying one, hoping that I will get it by this weekend for me to put it in. I ended up getting a black one, make it blend a bit more in the engine compartment for them to notice. :P

Thanks for the order! Sounds like your other questions have been answered, but if you have any more, I'm always just a call, PM or email away! :happy0180:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

KlugSS 05-22-2013 12:27 PM

It absolutely can void your warranty. Just like anything else changed under the hood.

Dtrimpi87 05-22-2013 12:36 PM

It can't legally void your warranty unless GM can prove that the catch was the cause of whatever problem you are trying to get warrantied. A properly installed catch can won't cause issues therefore it won't void your warranty.

I had mine on when i had to get my lifters replaced and the mechanic at the dealer that did the work noticed it and actually knew what it was and said he wished he would see them on more vehicles.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-22-2013 12:37 PM

No it won't.

John B.

menendez1293 05-22-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 (Post 6575147)
It can't legally void your warranty unless GM can prove that the catch was the cause of whatever problem you are trying to get warrantied.

I had mine on when i had to get my lifters replaced and the mechanic at the dealer that did the work noticed it and actually knew what it was and said he wished he would see them on more vehicles.

:word:

Technically speaking any form of modification has the potential to void your warranty it just needs to be proven that the modification that you made was the one that caused the part in question to fail. But a Catch Can is so minor and when installed properly will actually aid the engine in its long term life so I have never heard of it happening nor would I think GM would do it.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-22-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menendez1293 (Post 6575161)
:word:

Technically speaking any form of modification has the potential to void your warranty it just needs to be proven that the modification that you made was the one that caused the part in question to fail.

Correct. But it won't be proven to cause anything bad, therefore, it can't void it.

John B.

menendez1293 05-22-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria (Post 6575166)
Correct. But it won't be proven to cause anything bad, therefore, it can't void it.

John B.

I made an Edit to my post to include that part while you were posting this :lol: