Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Keeping the shine in between bi-annual waxes? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255638)

xcarolina23 10-15-2012 10:54 AM

Keeping the shine in between bi-annual waxes?

I recently bought my third Camaro, first 5th gen. I got black and my two previous cars were red, white. Living in Florida where it rains non-stop and sprinklers run rampant, paired with the sun hammering down, what can I use in between the twice a year clay, wash, and wax? I take the car to get washed about every other weekend but I am looking for something to wash off the little things here and there between washes.

Does anyone have some good tips.recommendations?

Steve

FL1CK 10-15-2012 10:55 AM

I wax mine more than twice a year... being in the elements it needs it here in VA

xcarolina23 10-15-2012 11:39 AM

Thanks Flick, do you use a quick detailer or something in between those waxes?

heRS 10-15-2012 11:53 AM

I use a Meguires spray wax inbetween my paste wax applications but I also apply the paste wax more than twice a year, 3 or 4 more like it. I do a lot of highway driving and the road grit just scours wax off the sides.
When I wash the car, I blow-dry the majority of water off, then use spray wax with the drying towel for a spot-free shine.

Good_Times 10-15-2012 01:38 PM

If you are concerned about water stains and etching from sprinklers and rainy Fl weather, You would be well off to consider a coating. OC 2.0 , Opti-Guard and the like are getting a lot of attention for a reason. Ease of maintaining a defect free surface is greatly increased and one of many benefits enjoyed with a coating application.

xcarolina23 10-15-2012 03:16 PM

Thanks guys!

Steve

Angelo@Autopia 10-16-2012 05:28 PM

The problem with what we have here in Florida is the hard water, bug's and rain! I always recommend using a sealant for this and still do. If you want to use a wax that's fine but do this after you apply the sealant on the paint. I always use 2-3 coats of sealant and wax it to help in these problems. Don't forget to have a QD with some sealant or wax in them so you can touch up after any of these problems arise.

FL1CK 10-16-2012 09:40 PM

I usually just wash between the waxing and dry with a detail spray

ihaveacamaro 10-17-2012 12:00 AM

Use a quality sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant 4 times a year. That should last you 3 months an application no problem.

Also the sealant goes on very thin, so you might still have that bottle 2 to 3 years later if you just do one car. (it is kind of expensive though at 40 dollars)

Then just use Ultima Waterless Wash + concentrate. It is a rinseless wash and a quick detailer.

One 16 oz bottle ($20) makes 5.5 GALLONS of quick detailer/rinseless wash/clay lube. It is one of my favorite products... ever!

xcarolina23 10-27-2012 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After the wax I went with some Meguiars detail to remove rain spots and debri which is constant down here in Florida. What do you guys think?

CyberBri 10-30-2012 11:40 PM

I just wax in between waxes to keep her shiney!!!! Lol its not so bad just buy a buffer

nUcLeArEnVoY 10-31-2012 08:03 AM

I put on one coat of sealant.... every month. Overkill.

xcarolina23 10-31-2012 09:14 AM

Nuclear I see you are a FL guy. When it rains and the debri and dusts gets on your car do you wipe it down with something or take it to the wash? i used Meguiar's UQD and it looked amazing, took off all dust and rain spots, no actual dirt on the car. They just make it so hard to pick a product to use so I hope I am using the right one =/

ihaveacamaro 10-31-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcarolina23 (Post 5757980)
Nuclear I see you are a FL guy. When it rains and the debri and dusts gets on your car do you wipe it down with something or take it to the wash? i used Meguiar's UQD and it looked amazing, took off all dust and rain spots, no actual dirt on the car. They just make it so hard to pick a product to use so I hope I am using the right one =/

QD is great a removing light dust and as a drying aid. Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer is pretty good. But it is like 10 dollars for the bottle.

If you get Ultima Waterless Wash, you can get an equally good QD for much cheaper. It's 20 dollars for the concentrate. It makes 5.5 GALLONS of QD. Also, it is a very good waterless wash, clay lube, and rinseless wash :)