Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WOW, Have you really looked at what we are getting with an SS? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11671)

Scott@Bjorn3D 01-13-2009 06:07 AM

WOW, Have you really looked at what we are getting with an SS?

I have just been looking at a ton of 0-60 times.

This car with just a few mods will be quicker the a stock base Vette. It will be quicker with out mods than 4 year old stock Vettes. It will be quicker than all those IROC's and Z28's we used to drool over, AT LEAST I DID.

To me it is just amazing that this is going to be a bat out of hell being stock. Ok had to get that out of my system.

shockandawe 01-13-2009 06:13 AM

Just remember,a Camaro will never be a Corvette!

MerF 01-13-2009 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockandawe (Post 245761)

It's been the poor-man's Vette since the LT1 was put in the first 4th gen. The gap is getting awfully close now. The Vette is the American icon, but the Camaro is going to be giving it a run for it's money, there's no denying that.

Dano 01-13-2009 06:44 AM

I believe the Camaro has always been the Blue Collar workers Corvette. No doubt the Corvette is the icon of American sports cars and will always be the King. It is just nice to that the Muscle cars have returned. It will nice to got the track on the weekends and being running all types of Modern Muscle Cars. Just think their will be Camaro's, Mustangs, GTO's and Challengers. For those of us that enjoy the comrade and friendly competition this is truly an exciting time.

Nexus6 01-13-2009 07:14 AM

you Forgot about the L98

TomServo 01-13-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 245758)

This car with just a few mods will be quicker the a stock base Vette. It will be quicker with out mods than 4 year old stock Vettes. It will be quicker than all those IROC's and Z28's we used to drool over, AT LEAST I DID.

To me it is just amazing that this is going to be a bat out of hell being stock. Ok had to get that out of my system.

But how many stock vettes will you run into. Once you start down this slippery slope there's no end. Go over to a Honda forum and read all the "kill" threads about how some Civic annihilated a vette.

With mods anything is possible.

linemup 01-13-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Quicker then a stock vette? c6s 425hp around 3250lbs vs 5th gen camaro ss 425hp 3900lbs, I cant see the camaro winning that race even if its the ls2 c6.The performence gap between the vette and camaro has widen alot this time around its not going to be nowhere near as close as it was with the c4 and c5 vettes vs the 4th gens camaro imho.

SScattergunSS 01-13-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockandawe (Post 245761)

It may never be a Vette, but I honestly think it's a better looking car! Plus the fact I love the extra room with the back seats. The engine will give me all the power I really need. But what I really want is wicked suspension and handling with great steering feel. If I get that, I'll be as happy as a pig in poop!!!

tjbusa 01-13-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerF (Post 245763)
It's been the poor-man's Vette since the LT1 was put in the first 4th gen. The gap is getting awfully close now. The Vette is the American icon, but the Camaro is going to be giving it a run for it's money, there's no denying that.

And then there was the LS1 which made me buy my first camaro.

Silver Streak 01-13-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomServo (Post 245784)
But how many stock vettes will you run into. Once you start down this slippery slope there's no end. Go over to a Honda forum and read all the "kill" threads about how some Civic annihilated a vette.

With mods anything is possible.

most vettes I see are stock! I live on the coast of Florida, maybe that makes a difference. But most of the vettes around here are stock and not driven like I would drive one! JMO.

Cyberfan 01-13-2009 09:05 AM

My 08 Corvette is NOT a daily driver. It has 1200 miles after a year. I plan on keeping it for a long long time.

The Camaro will be a daily driver. The thing about the Camaro that is appealing to me is that you can get a well equipped 425 horse 6 speed car for around $35,000. Bare bones for 3K less.

Now compare that to Mustang (no power, unless you want the OVERPRICED GT-500), and Challenger (too heavy and the SRT-8 is way overpriced).

I can't see any new car that gets more bang for the buck than the Camaro. Cyber Gray 6 speed 2SS with just polished wheels and shifter for me, but I want to wait till things settle down. Till then the 02 Trans Am Firehawk will have to do.

dbotsfordtat 01-13-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberfan (Post 245856)
My 08 Corvette is NOT a daily driver. It has 1200 miles after a year. I plan on keeping it for a long long time.

The Camaro will be a daily driver. The thing about the Camaro that is appealing to me is that you can get a well equipped 425 horse 6 speed car for around $35,000. Bare bones for 3K less.

Now compare that to Mustang (no power, unless you want the OVERPRICED GT-500), and Challenger (too heavy and the SRT-8 is way overpriced).

I can't see any new car that gets more bang for the buck than the Camaro. Cyber Gray 6 speed 2SS with just polished wheels and shifter for me, but I want to wait till things settle down. Till then the 02 Trans Am Firehawk will have to do.

+1, if they would just get the car finished!

Hylton 01-13-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Quicker than an IROC??!! As an IROC owner, let me tell you that it will be quicker than an IROC while towing a Yukon!!

TAG UR IT 01-13-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

WOW, Have you really looked at what we are getting with an SS?

...mmmm....everything I've ever wanted? :D