Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Milford Proving Grounds meeting / 5thgen thoughts..... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4151)

ChrisL 05-17-2008 05:10 PM

Milford Proving Grounds meeting / 5thgen thoughts.....

1 Attachment(s)
Posted for Fbodfather---- he wrote while we were in the meeting........

Our Camaro Disciples are at the General Motors Milford Proving Grounds this morning – and I’ll try to give you a ‘taste’ of their first few moments…….

After an evening spent with GM Design and Engineering personnel – over food and drink, everyone retired for the evening -- I think it fair to say that no one wanted to sleep – and could hardly wait for the 8am bus ride thru the hills outside of Milford, Mich. They had the opportunity to talk to people like Tom Peters – from GM Design – Brett Vivian, who is the Camaro Vehicle Line Director….and Al Oppenheiser who is Camaro North American Chief Engineer. Of course, Cheryl Pilcher is there – wearing, of all things, a Houndstooth blazer in Black and white. John Fitzpatrick is there to act as master of ceremonies.

An exciting evening that holds great promise.

The shuttle leaves the hotel – and the skies are clearing – blue with broken white clouds…….temperatures in the high 50s………..

The shuttle makes its way along interstate 96 and exits at the Milford Road exit. A few miles later, it turns onto “General Motors Road” – and the main gate is just ahead.

Upon entering the main gate – a bus transfer takes place at “Lundstrom House” – and the incredible ride starts – past building after building – past a guard that checks packages and people. Funny thing is that no one remembers the buildings – simply because of the staggering number of cars and trucks surrounding the buildings – many with cammo. – and that’s because many of them are from the 2010-2011 model years.

The bus takes our disciples over many hills and valleys – all cris-crossed with various road surfaces. Your first reaction to the Milford Proving Ground is: “Wow – the landscape……” The proving grounds has woods and forest – lakes and streams – dirt lanes – superhighways – rough pavement – and lots of wildflowers. You’d expect lots of macadam – but you’re struck by the beauty of nature.

A Corvette passes the bus going the other way – followed by several Chevrolet Traverses – which are going thru final validation tests prior to production late this summer. Soon we see what appears to be a very low-slung sedan – covered with front and rear bras and lots of cammo paint……. – when suddenly someone shouts “LOOK!!! HERE COMES ONE!” – and behind the bus – like a couple of wild cheetahs – two black and white IVER Camaros come up at a high rate of speed – turn signals come on --- and they howl past the bus – and our disciples gasp.

This is gonna be a GREAT day…………….

The bus pulls up to Building 106 – which overlooks ‘black lake.’ Black lake was given this name by airline pilots who would fly over the Milford grounds – because it’s a rectangle that measures just under 70 acres of asphalt – and this rectangle looks like a lake from 20,000 feet……..

As our disciples exit onto the tarmac, they hear the unmistakable ‘howl’ of tires in the distance. “Oh my GOD – HERE THEY COME AGAIN!!” – and in the distance the cheetahs reappear –

They keep gaining speed – and as they blow by the group, the unmistakable growl of a small-block V8 – and then they’re gone behind a wooded island at the end of black lake…………………..

No question about it – this is gonna be a GREAT day………..

PART 2…………

The Disciples come into building 106 -- located on the ‘shore’ of black lake – there is a large screen set up – and a U-shaped table with refreshments – and a black fabric backwall. Everyone gets a beverage and sits in their assigned seats – a few ‘goodies’ are there for them to take home………

John reviews the agenda – and notes that there are some very special Corvettes outside – such as a
“Cor price” – a 1989 ZR1 (no, that’s not a mistype) an Active handling 1990 ZR1 – the first C5 Hardtop built – and a ‘Beta’ C5. We invite them to come outside and look at them – but we bring them thru the black backwall –

…………..and sitting there are FOUR production intent Camaros – (OK – I’ll share that one was Black and one was Red -- ) -- and capturing the Disciples’ facial expressions on tape is a video crew.

No one says a word – lots of gasps -- and their eyes bug out. – and suddenly there are tears – both from the Disciples and from those of us on the Team. One disciple says to me “oh …..oh……..it’s been such a long wait – they’re --- they’re – they’re – ohmygod………..I love them!”

it’s not unlike a Christmas morning – but much better!

The disciples went from car to car – climbed in and out of them – opened trunks – opened hoods -- and asked a million questions.

It was a chore to get them out of the cars and back to the meeting room so that we could have Brett and Al speak to them about Camaro Development.

It really IS a GREAT day………….

Part 3……….

Time to drive a couple of cars!

The black and white IVER Camaros return to Black Lake – and each Disciple takes them for a drive with one of the Camaro Team members riding shotgun. They have V8 engines and automatic transmissions. The interiors are quite primitive as they’ve been thru tests for several months.

The video team captures reactions from each Disciple. We also have ‘stills’ taken.

Suddenly – a fighter jet swoops down – completely unannounced – and buzzes Black Lake – everyone jumps and gasps – and watches as the jet does a barrel roll – steeply banks – and buzzes us once again. Wouldn’t you know – Maximum Bob! – he comes back once again – gives us a ‘bow’ with his wings - -and takes off on a final barrel roll…………

Incredible. Can this day get any better?

We allow the disciples to drive a V6 with the manual transmission – and I’m sure they’ll have something to say about this -- this may be the real surprise!

One of our durability drivers then takes one of the V8 Black and Whites out onto black lake – and does some high speed maneuvers -- the tires howling the entire time – and after this performance he receives a standing ovation from the crowd.

Time to go back inside and hear some REALLY secret stuff…………..and at the end of the day – a debrief and then dinner.

WOW………what a day.

Attachment 4880

Supermans 05-17-2008 05:41 PM

Sounds very interesting. :)

I think I can guess what they driver of the V6 with the stick is going to say.. ;) That he/she thought it felt as powerful as the last gen V8 or something close to it.. I would also want to know how the power on the V8 automatic's felt as well.. As for how the car looked on the outside and if it surpassed the look of the concept, I would be very interested to know.. Can't wait till Christmas morning :) (So no stick shift V8 was driven or present?) How about the SS/Z28 super Camaro? Or is that still far away from becoming production?

ToneyTone 05-17-2008 05:45 PM

When I was thinking of not going to indy. WOW, what a right up. I think it will be well worth it to see these cars in person. I can't wait till more info can be said about the other cars that were on the proving ground.

CatiaJockey 05-17-2008 06:14 PM

Got to be a great weekend for the disciples. I can't wait to hear what they all have to say. Appreciate the post ChrisL!

fastball 05-17-2008 06:15 PM

You know how you never wanted to go to sleep on Christmas eve, well, it's still 5 months away from official release and I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the next 5 months! :happyanim:

NOODLESgoneWILD 05-17-2008 06:31 PM

I DON'T SAY THIS LIGHTLY, BUT I THINK THIS CAR IS GOING TO KNOCK OUR SOCKS, AND THE REST OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLDs SOCKs OFF!!!!

TheMadHatter99 05-17-2008 06:45 PM

Awesome post.

I can't tell if this is just extreme jealousy speaking, but is anyone else slightly perturbed that we won't be told what all is being shown until after Indy (or wherever the reveal is)?

I dunno, I guess I'm just a curious person by nature and hate being told "You can't be told secrets, but these people can!"

I'm just petty I suppose.

DGthe3 05-17-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 70271)
Sounds very interesting. :)

I think I can guess what they driver of the V6 with the stick is going to say.. ;) That he/she thought it felt as powerful as the last gen V8 or something close to it.. I would also want to know how the power on the V8 automatic's felt as well.. As for how the car looked on the outside and if it surpassed the look of the concept, I would be very interested to know.. Can't wait till Christmas morning :) (So no stick shift V8 was driven or present?) How about the SS/Z28 super Camaro? Or is that still far away from becoming production?

an SS will exist, that was leaked in a video of Ed Welburn a while ago. We don't know what the SS will be like though, it may or may not be the super Camaro. But I'm sure that they have everything done on it by now. I imagine that the design and engineering are 100% complete on every version of hte Camaro, V6, base V8, top dog, verts, etc.

ToneyTone 05-17-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 (Post 70283)
Awesome post.

I can't tell if this is just extreme jealousy speaking, but is anyone else slightly perturbed that we won't be told what all is being shown until after Indy (or wherever the reveal is)?

I dunno, I guess I'm just a curious person by nature and hate being told "You can't be told secrets, but these people can!"

I feel your pain

AFSNightrod 05-17-2008 08:03 PM

Since I can't yet anyways I'm not asking for more than the deciples can give. What I am asking for though(other than what specific information you guys can tell us), is if they do now know the specifics such as engines, transmissions, options, how close the production lights and grille are to the concept etc.

AirGoya 05-17-2008 09:16 PM

What a day indeed. Sounded like a lot of fun.
I know that Bob Lutz was a U.S. Marine but does he really fly fighter jets? Only GM would have someone as Bada$$ as Mr. Lutz. :bow:

TheMadHatter99 05-17-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirGoya (Post 70302)
What a day indeed. Sounded like a lot of fun.
I know that Bob Lutz was a U.S. Marine but does he really fly fighter jets? Only GM would have someone as Bada$$ as Mr. Lutz. :bow:

And to add on to that, where exactly did he acquire said fighter jet? You can't exactly purchase an F/A-18 from a dealer downtown... Anyone know what sort of jet it was?

AirGoya 05-17-2008 09:38 PM

Actually the jet was megatron, good thing the camaros were there to scare him away.

Kyle2k 05-17-2008 09:52 PM

uhm..jealousy...

17ac 05-17-2008 10:20 PM

hahaha megatron

tell us about the engines and headlights

DGthe3 05-17-2008 10:47 PM

Its great to hear that GM has put on a bit of a show for those guys. And I really want to see some of that video footage that's been taken. I'm sure that these people know pretty much everything about the Camaro now. 15 extra people who have signed their life away (I assume) aren't that many more considering how many GM engineers, designers, and everyone else involved with the Camaro who know all the details, and have known them for awhile. And the disciples only have to keep quiet for a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 (Post 70306)
And to add on to that, where exactly did he acquire said fighter jet? You can't exactly purchase an F/A-18 from a dealer downtown

Go to Russia. For a price they let almost anyone fly a MiG. For a enough cash I bet they would let you take it home.

TheMadHatter99 05-17-2008 10:52 PM

No thanks...fratting w/ the Russians would probably be a poor career decision for me.

Although it'd be pretty sweet for Lutz to own a MiG.

The_Stache 05-17-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 (Post 70306)
And to add on to that, where exactly did he acquire said fighter jet? You can't exactly purchase an F/A-18 from a dealer downtown... Anyone know what sort of jet it was?

Mr. Lutz has several civilian jets, one of which is a Czech L-39 Albatros trainer. Now I don't know if that was what he was flying but its just an example of what a multi-million dollar a year salary can get you..

Camaro Lives On 05-17-2008 11:04 PM

at least a little detail about the headlights and taillights, as in, how close to the concept are they, as mentioned above.

ChrisL 05-18-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 (Post 70283)
Awesome post.

I cant tell you how honored and privileged each of us are. We are truely humbled. I'm pushing the boundaries here, but the media event to unveil the car is planeed to happen sooner than you are suggesting.

and yes, the flyby was Mr Lutz. He exchanged emails with Scott this evening.

TheMadHatter99 05-18-2008 12:18 AM

I didn't mean to come across as an ass or anything, I'm just TERRIBLY jealous of you lot for getting this incredible opportunity.

ChrisL 05-18-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 (Post 70337)
I didn't mean to come across as an ass or anything, I'm just TERRIBLY jealous of you lot for getting this incredible opportunity.

I hear ya. It's all good. This car does one thing no one can dispute. It evokes a great amount of passion.

and believe me, we are truely humbled by it all.

TAG UR IT 05-18-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL (Post 70340)
I hear ya. It's all good. This car does one thing no one can dispute. It evokes a great amount of passion.

EXACTLY. And this, this is why I'm so bummed that the official unveil won't be at INDY. I wanted to be a part of history....and was willing to spend a grand to be a part of it (and money sure as heck doesn't grow on trees for me!). Now, I'd rather see the pix online and save my cash for a downpayment.

On the other hand, this post just about made ME well up with tears! I could almost see it and feel it walking out to the "vettes" only to see the Camaros. Ugh...and to get the opportunity to drive them?!?! I'd bet anything that V6 manual is not only as fast as the 4th Gen Z28 (mayyyybe a few hp shy), but even cooler, is that I bet that manual is a 6spd.

Man, I couldn't even fathom the excitement. I probably would have gotten myself sick and given myself migranes from all the excitement...lol. You increadibly lucky folks. I'm so increadibly happy for ya'll.:bow:

ToneyTone 05-18-2008 01:02 AM

I'm glad i wasn't the only one feeling this way when i first read the post.

swazworth 05-18-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL (Post 70335)
I cant tell you how honored and privileged each of us are. We are truely humbled.I'm pushing the boundaries here, but the media event to unveil the car is planeed to happen sooner than you are suggesting.

so we might be seeing something before Indy??:iono:

DGthe3 05-18-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazworth (Post 70358)
so we might be seeing something before Indy??:iono:

He has said that we will see something before Indy in the autoblog thread

CedarHillCamaro 05-18-2008 08:19 AM

Wow! I wish I was a disciple. There will be an SS in my Garage, Bank on it.

rocketman 12 05-18-2008 12:17 PM

:needpics: lol.

I WANT IT... NOW!!!!!! lol.

Mr. Wyndham 05-18-2008 12:26 PM

:confused0068:Lutz in a jet!! HA! :sm0: That's so friggin' Awesome!!! :bellyroll:

Ahhhh - I'm glad you guys are having/had fun. And I also think it's important to note "V6 with Manual Transmission". :thumbsup: Real Surprise, eh? I sure hope so!!!! (not, doubting of course ;))

Question: What do you get when the largest Car company in the world and 15 amazing enthusiasts sit down and talk about a car?
You get, Bar-NONE; The BEST vehicle in the World, Camaro.

Camaro Lives On 05-18-2008 12:36 PM

^ That's for DAMN sure!!

And ChrisL, Ive got a question. If we're goona be seeing it before Indy, then when and where will it be unveiled?? Or, am I pushing just a little over the boundries of what you can tell?

Captain Awesome 05-18-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL (Post 70340)

Thanks for these words, you don't know what it's like to read something like this to someone who's been waiting so long for the 5th Gen Camaro.

I'm very envious of you and your fellow disciples. I wish you could tell us more.

Is there anything you are allowed to "tease" us with? I mean it's obvious they told you that you can't give away info, and I'm so starved for info right now I'll even take hints. I guess one thing I can ask is whether there is anything you saw about the car that nobody has known about or speculated or guessed? Or how about this: is there anything about the car that's never been done before? I'm not asking "what", just "yes/no".

Thanks for taking the time to share with us what you can!

Rallysport 05-18-2008 01:14 PM

AAAAAAUUUUUGH! This wait is killin me! However, if I were to venture a guess, I think GM will debut the new Camaro at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Anyone wanna BET?! It is in August ya know....

Cyberstyx 05-18-2008 02:05 PM

Exciting stuff, and even more excitting seing all the ppl get excited about them :D

Someone will plan a trip in the US in 2009 lol <---

Btw, since everything was captured in video and stills, is there any chance of some content being available? Not new/secret stuff, just some nice Camaros doing stuff /drewl

fbodfather 05-18-2008 02:06 PM

I'm getting a LOT of emails asking about Indy and when everyone will see the first production cars.

Let me say this:

If you want to see the various "flavors" of Camaro -- and you want to see some of the presentations that the Disciples saw -- and you want a chance to meet some of the people who have worked on this car tirelessly to make it the best Camaro ever -- by far -- and you want to see hundreds upon hundreds of fellow Camaro/Firebird/pace car enthusiasts' cars -- and you want to take a lap on the world famous Indy Motor Speedway --
THEN YOU WANT TO COME TO INDY and I suggest you make arrangements now rather than later........

That said -- plans can change anytime -- and we all know that spy photos are apt to happen -- no matter how hard we try to keep the car under wraps. (I actually had security on-hand last week and baffles made so that cars could be unloaded somewhere without the possibility of prying eyes (or cameras) taking pictures........)

We will show the car to select members of the media sometime this summer -- and we've done this long enough to know that SOMEONE -- somewhere -- will manage to get their paws on a picture or two -- so to say that Indy is the first time you'll ever see a production car -- is simply not a true statement -- because we DON'T know what will happen between now and then.

I know this -- if you don't go to Indy -- I suspect you may be disappointed that you didn't go.

Tran 05-18-2008 02:48 PM

Wow thanks to ChrisL and fbodfather for sharing what they can share at this point! I've read the original post a couple times over and still get goosebumps when I visualize what Chris was describing!! The countdown is getting closer for sure, but no easier! :D

Camaro_crazy 05-18-2008 03:17 PM

I wish I could go to Indy, but I'll be happy enough with the info I hear and see. It will just make that day when I buy mine even better.

Sphinx002 05-18-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 70348)
EXACTLY. And this, this is why I'm so bummed that the official unveil won't be at INDY. I wanted to be a part of history....and was willing to spend a grand to be a part of it (and money sure as heck doesn't grow on trees for me!). Now, I'd rather see the pix online and save my cash for a downpayment.

On the other hand, this post just about made ME well up with tears! I could almost see it and feel it walking out to the "vettes" only to see the Camaros. Ugh...and to get the opportunity to drive them?!?! I'd bet anything that V6 manual is not only as fast as the 4th Gen Z28 (mayyyybe a few hp shy), but even cooler, is that I bet that manual is a 6spd.

Man, I couldn't even fathom the excitement. I probably would have gotten myself sick and given myself migranes from all the excitement...lol. You increadibly lucky folks. I'm so increadibly happy for ya'll.:bow:

I did tell ya'll that Autoblog inside info is usually spot on. I hear your pain, although for those of us that can't get to Indy, that isn't really bad news.

As an edit...I'd have given my left nut to be there and see the Camaro on the track. I'm serious...I'm done with kids. Scott are you listening?? Put it up on your mantle to show all what someone is willing to do to be part of history.

z28camaro2471 05-18-2008 06:47 PM

I don't think anyone wants that on their mantle. Maybe a 1/24 diecast of the new Camaro, but I would bet Scott would pass on the testicle.

Mindz 05-18-2008 06:47 PM

I'm speechless. Dunno what to make of all this commotion between the controversy and the great visual I have in my head from ChrisL's post.

gss9909 05-18-2008 08:15 PM

I just would like to know if the opening in the hood will be functional on any of the models. I wouldn't think that would be something that is top secret.