Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   H&R springs sag in rear? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209465)

Jer4251 03-13-2012 10:54 PM

H&R springs sag in rear?

Ive got H&R sport springs installed. had them for 2 years now. car has 8k miles on it and the rear seems to keep sagging. they are suppose to be 1.4" drop front and 1.3" drop rear. but im getting 1.3" front drop and 2.3" rear drop.

whats it look like to you?

I contacted Tirerack where i bought them and they sent out a reply saying to check to make sure all the springs were in the upright position and in the right location. asked for before and after measurments, and pics of the side view of the car. hope they can help me out. im sitting at 660mm in the front and 641mm in the rear. measureing from the bottom of the rim to the center of the fender

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...1695617883.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...S/DSC_0235.jpg

SUX2BU 03-14-2012 01:03 AM

Looks like you may have cut your rear bump stops and you weren't supposed to. Did you?

Jer4251 03-14-2012 07:42 AM

it was 2 years ago. I remember cutting 2 of them per the install instructions. but couldnt tell you what ones they said to cut. I'll look into it

Rich@BSP 03-14-2012 09:44 AM

The chassis sits on the springs not the bump stops.

PfadtRacing 03-14-2012 09:59 AM

The bump stops will not effect static ride height. As mentioned above the chassis is supported by the springs themselves, the bumpstops are there to provide a cushion between the body of the shock and the fork to prevent the strut assembly from bottoming out suddenly.

Don't worry about it being a bumpstop issue. If the car keeps getting lower there is something else at play here.

Jer4251 03-14-2012 03:52 PM

im waiting for a responce from tirerack about the problem. will update once they tell me what to do.

SUX2BU 03-14-2012 09:11 PM

If the car has been that low ever since you installed the springs then they may have lowered the car too much. If it has gotten progressively lower over the last two years then the springs may just be sagging. This happens with low quality springs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich@BSP (Post 4641910)
The chassis sits on the springs not the bump stops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PfadtRacing (Post 4642000)
The bump stops will not effect static ride height. As mentioned above the chassis is supported by the springs themselves, the bumpstops are there to provide a cushion between the body of the shock and the fork to prevent the strut assembly from bottoming out suddenly.

Don't worry about it being a bumpstop issue. If the car keeps getting lower there is something else at play here.

I've installed hundreds of lowering springs on dozens of different type cars. There have been a few cars (mine included) that the springs lowered the car so much that it actually sat on the bumpstops. Therefore, if you cut the bumpstops that the car is literally sitting on, guess what happens? The car goes even lower.

Here is a couple of pics to prove my point.

Before cutting bumpstops

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1301627942

AFTER cutting bumpstops

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1322789937

Rich@BSP 03-15-2012 09:30 AM

If your car is setting on the bump stops your handling sucks and is not safe. You should be setting on the springs and have the struts or shocks control josue.

Atti2de 03-15-2012 09:38 AM

I have had H&R springs to almost two years with no problems. I know not much help...

SGOS252382 03-15-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich@BSP (Post 4648208)
If your car is setting on the bump stops your handling sucks and is not safe. You should be setting on the springs and have the struts or shocks control josue.

I'm pretty sure he corrected this issue. I dought he's ridding around sitting on the bump stops (lets hope not). That would be a very rough ride. I think he was just showing the pictures to demonstate what the O.P. is describing.

Jer4251 03-15-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atti2de (Post 4648256)
I have had H&R springs to almost two years with no problems. I know not much help...

whats your rear ride height from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the fender? my rear sits lower than the front.

H&R asked if i had cut the rear bumpstops and if so how much i cut. It was 2 years ago and i dont remember. I told them i followed their instructiions and if it said to cut them then i must have but am not certain. does H&R install call for cutting rear bumpstops?

Then they wanted to know the gap between the center of the wheels center cap to the fender lip on all 4 corners. my ride isnt rough, my rear end is very bouncy and doesnt bottom out. i dont think bumpstops are the issue, i think the springs are crap

SUX2BU 03-15-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich@BSP (Post 4648208)

The issue was corrected the same day. I just posted those pictures to show you and PfadtRacing that these cars do in fact sit on the bumpstops when you lower them too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer4251 (Post 4651562)
whats your rear ride height from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the fender? my rear sits lower than the front.

H&R asked if i had cut the rear bumpstops and if so how much i cut. It was 2 years ago and i dont remember. I told them i followed their instructiions and if it said to cut them then i must have but am not certain. does H&R install call for cutting rear bumpstops?

Then they wanted to know the gap between the center of the wheels center cap to the fender lip on all 4 corners. my ride isnt rough, my rear end is very bouncy and doesnt bottom out. i dont think bumpstops are the issue, i think the springs are crap

The rear end is very bouncy because it is sitting on the bumpstops. That is how my car felt before I cut the bumpstops.

ANY car lowered as much as mine in that first picture IS sitting on the bumpstops if they weren't cut. That WILL give you a bouncy ride. That is why i recommend 1.0" to people.

Jer4251 03-15-2012 06:57 PM

I can push the rear down with ease even with it sitting so low. It hasn't always been this low. I think its gotten worse over time. No comparison to my buddys detroit speed springs. Even with almost the same drop rate. But his isn't sagging

Jer4251 03-15-2012 07:14 PM

the day i installed the springs the rear dropped 1.5" since then its dropped almost another full inch. maybe it is riding on the bump stops, but that would only mean the springs themself are the problem right? its not suppose to drop that much with the springs i have