Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Visibility is pretty bad (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24869)

bluecamaroguy 05-29-2009 04:40 PM

Visibility is pretty bad

Hey guys so I test drove a black 1LT yesterday at a dealership. First thing I was looking for was the infamous blind spots that I keep reading about. When I first got in they didn't look as bad as I thought they would be. But when I started driving it definitely got really hard to see when I needed to switch lanes (busy 4-5 lane freeway with lots of cars and I did adjust the mirrors correctly). The side mirrors did work pretty well but I kept wanting to look back and make sure there wasn't a car there just to be sure (habit from driving a truck).

I am not sure if this is something you get used to or what. But I have always driven a truck where I just look behind me and I can see everything easily. In the camaro I did feel really boxed in and paranoid because the side windows are also very small and I felt visibility was not that great out the back either. When driving it instantly did remind me of a "tank gunner" view that I had read about.

Whenever I tried to change lanes I automatically looked behind me and I kept seeing the inside of the car and not the road which sucked big time for a truck guy like me :)

I have read lots on this forum so I know that everyone says you aren't supposed to get a nice view or a nice interior in a muscle car. That is fine for the hardcore guys but what about random people who use this car as a daily driver.

I am also pretty short at 5'6'' but the seat did adjust enough for me to have my head almost at the roof. Anyone who has driven the camaro extensively have any thoughts on this subject?

Ferrarimk13 05-29-2009 04:42 PM

i think most people will say that you just need to get used to it, after driving it a while, im sure youll learn ways to do everything normally, or where to look when merging. I heard the side mirrors are decent though, and you can get those small round mirrors to stick onto the sides.

bluecamaroguy 05-29-2009 04:45 PM

I also forgot to mention the view from the front over the hood. The view was really weird for me (could be cause I was so low to the ground) because I could see in front of me fine but when I looked to the front of the car on the passenger side all I saw was that hump in the middle and it really made the car feel lopsided. I felt like it would be really hard to park in small parking spots and also through very tight areas like if you need parallel park you won't be sure where the curb is.

radz28 05-29-2009 04:49 PM

I have a hard time thinking it's much worse than my '95 and '02 - at least I'm hoping so. if that's the case, I'm sure I'll be able to get used to it. I think a lot of it will come down to adjusting the mirrors just right. For me, that's the first thing I do in the car. I just make sure I can over-lap the outside mirrors with the inside mirror and get of much of the lanes next to me as possible. You might just have to get used to the idea of having to lean forward to scan your blind spots. I can see how this would be irritating, but necessary. There's going to be concessions made for a beautiful body like this car has.

JMVHO.

BEIST 05-29-2009 04:55 PM

Wait until you try backing up!

sasquash1984 05-29-2009 05:03 PM

when i got mine a week ago it was a big change. You have to mess the side mirrors a while, then estimate the distance in front and backing is so much fun

VenomZ302 05-29-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 531813)
I have a hard time thinking it's much worse than my '95 and '02 - at least I'm hoping so.

I think the big difference between the 4th and 5th gens, forward visibility-wise, is the size of the windshield. The 4th gen's is HUGE, but raked back a lot. The 5th gen's windshield should be rather small in comparison. Now I kind I wish I could have driven my '00 Camaro to go test drive the '10 Camaro... :(

SSOOCH 05-29-2009 05:13 PM

really...this is news to me! :bellyroll:

camaro5 05-29-2009 05:14 PM

It's a freakmobile alright.

It looks cool, and that's what we wanted.

For better visibility, the G8 excels.

Bell040 05-29-2009 05:31 PM

too bad the Vert isn't out yet....

no top = no blind spots

McGruff 05-29-2009 05:34 PM

Convex mirrors on side mirrors == WIN

pruettfan 05-29-2009 05:40 PM

As a paramedic for 8 years I drove many thousands of miles in an ambulance that had nothing but blind spots for visability. What you do is use the tools you have. One that is rarely used is paying attention to your surroundings. When I drive I always know who is around me by simply scanning my mirrors and watching what others are doing. When I go to make a lane change I already know where everyone is so I don't need to look over my shoulder to check the blind spot.

I agree visiabilty in this car is a problem if you are one of those folks that don't have good situational awareness.

patriotpa 05-29-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pruettfan (Post 531979)
As a paramedic for 8 years I drove many thousands of miles in an ambulance that had nothing but blind spots for visability. What you do is use the tools you have. One that is rarely used is paying attention to your surroundings. When I drive I always know who is around me by simply scanning my mirrors and watching what others are doing. When I go to make a lane change I already know where everyone is so I don't need to look over my shoulder to check the blind spot.

I agree visiabilty in this car is a problem if you are one of those folks that don't have good situational awareness.

+1^10th

bluecamaroguy 05-29-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pruettfan (Post 531979)

I think your right. I normally am always aware of what was around me when I drive. But when you get on a 5 lane freeway it is impossible to see everything especially on the busy California ones.

I test drove the 2010 mustang right after and I have to admit the visibilty was way more open and easy to see. But I like the looks and the power of the camaro way more.

agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh