Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   FI for MPG instead of power? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244567)

1o.f00t.570rk 08-17-2012 09:52 AM

FI for MPG instead of power?

Hey all, recently in my area I'd seen both a Silverado and a Corvette with vinyl numbers/advertising on the side. Come to find out they are claimed MPG values, and they are rather impressive if true:

Corvette - 40mpg city 32mpg highway - 775HP 691ft-lb
Silverado - 32mpg city 28mpg highway - 500HP 450ft-lb

http://www.genesvettes.com/index.html

They also claim that because of their work with the manufacturer, the package installation is covered by the factory warranty, and installs in about three hours. They appear to use a remote turbo system, custom tuning, but not much info other than that. :iono:

Getting to our V6's, I see the most common push for FI being raw numbers, but would it be possible to build for straight efficiency and MPG as the goal?:yikes:

I DD my Camaro, so if I could see better MPG numbers, the system would pay for itself over the life of the car. I don't honestly have a need for more power, but if I could see small/no gains but get better MPG...that would make the vehicle go from just being awesome for me to being nearly perfect.

In my layman's mind it would also seem to be a different way to approach the fueling issue with FI, where instead of not having enough fuel or being able to deliver it, we'd be instead trying to get the most out of what we already have.

So is this snake oil/pipe dream or something within the realm of possibility? Are any gains just the result of a refined tune?

I would also bet that the system could probably be adapted to the V8 Camaros as well...so if it's plausible then we may need to get a head start so they can't claim more power and better MPGs! :D

Sikoriko 08-17-2012 10:04 AM

I get the same mpg's. With the IPF just try to stay away from lean conditions.

Sikoriko 08-17-2012 10:06 AM

Better then stock. 33-34 if I would drive the speed limit

Ramsey 08-17-2012 10:41 AM

Ford has already done this with most of their EcoBoost engines. FI for better MPG's

GretchenGotGrowl 08-17-2012 10:50 AM

Typically what happens is that the hwy mpg goes up more than city with just turbos. I'm guessing this is more than just FI and a tune since you see a very big increase in the city mpg. I'm guessing they are combining the FI with DOD/AFM and tuning it so that the engine continures to run on fewer cylinders under greater load. They may also be using some hybrid tech here, too. Just a guess though.

BaylorCamaro 08-17-2012 10:56 AM

My MPG went down with the supercharger, I'm at about 16.5 mpg city (.5 better than an SS) and my highway basically went unchanged. I see no way that a supercharger is going to increase your mpg, your making more power on the same engine, why would it go up? Turbo MAYBE. So it has got to be in the tuning.

So basically what Gretchen said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsey (Post 5456568)
Ford has already done this with most of their EcoBoost engines. FI for better MPG's

Yeah but they're typically doing a turbo'd four cylinder as opposed to a V6.

scrming 08-17-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro (Post 5456626)
My MPG went down with the supercharger, I'm at about 16.5 mpg city (.5 better than an SS) and my highway basically went unchanged. I see no way that a supercharger is going to increase your mpg, your making more power on the same engine, why would it go up? Turbo MAYBE. So it has got to be in the tuning.

So basically what Gretchen said.

Yeah but they're typically doing a turbo'd four cylinder as opposed to a V6.

Trust me the are selling a lot of the v6 EBs especially in the F150. In fact earlier this year they had to add another shift at the plant that makes the v6 EB.

As to the OP... Adding FI won't really increase your MPG. What is does is give you increased performance without the MPG penalty of a bigger motor. That's the EcoBoost's tag line "The power of a V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6"

BaylorCamaro 08-17-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 5456686)
Trust me the are selling a lot of the v6 EBs especially in the F150. In fact earlier this year they had to add another shift at the plant that makes the v6 EB.

Guess I should have been more clear. EB four cylinder as opposed to N/A V6.

Can't_C_Me 08-17-2012 11:45 AM

Yep turbo's are more efficient than a SC also because of how different the systems make the extra power. Reusing exhaust for extra power makes sense when as a SC puts a extra load on the engine to make power. My buddy has a single turbo SS and gets 26mpg on his. I get 18.6mpg because I drive like a butt. I use to get 22mpg when I first get it back. But the tune is also key, I'm wasting 30% of my fuel because I'm running rich. And this was measured on the dyno and I'm not making it up.

KMPrenger 08-17-2012 04:39 PM

Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion. (too lazy right now to check out the website)

scrming 08-17-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 5458181)
Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion. (too lazy right now to check out the website)

According to their website that's all it is... Highly efficient tuning. Sorry I'm going with snake oil...

KMPrenger 08-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 5458216)
According to their website that's all it is... Highly efficient tuning. Sorry I'm going with snake oil...

Yeah I couldn't resist...I checked it out. Claiming nothing but rear mount turbo technology and efficient tuning. Have to see to believe.

awfarley 08-17-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 5458218)
Yeah I couldn't resist...I checked it out. Claiming nothing but rear mount turbo technology and efficient tuning. Have to see to believe.

They calculated those claims going downhill at idle. :laugh:

NightRiderRS 08-17-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 5458181)
Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion.

Alot goes into play on achieving a high MPG turbo engine. Size of turbo, spool time, injector size, tuning, ect...
I could see within the next 2-3 years the llt and lfx engines people will be pushing 400-500 wheel HP and still getting 35 City MPG.