Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Disable and delete the annoying vert top clearance net. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163839)

SUX2BU 08-08-2011 02:47 PM

Disable and delete the annoying vert top clearance net.

4 Attachment(s)
8/8/11 This has annoyed me more often than I can count. I am cleaning my car or out driving around and I want to put my top down. I pull off to the side of the road, unlatch the top and nothing happens. The damn safety net thing isn't pulled out! I have to get out of the car pop, the trunk, oh wait, the trunk won't pop unless I latch the top back up! I latch the top, pop the trunk, get out of the car, walk to the trunk, open the trunk, pull out the clearance net, try a couple of times to get both ends in the slots, close the trunk, get back in the car unlatch the to for the second time and now I can FINALLY put my top down!

I hardly ever have anything in my trunk, when I do it is not big enough to poke up past the clearance net, but I have to close the net to put in or pull out whatever goes in the trunk and then pull out the net in case I want to drop the top. It gets real annoying, real quick.

So i decided to find a way to bypass the (I assume it's some type magnetic type) net sensor. I was thinking maybe put a magnet on it or use a resistor to jump the sensor, turns out all you have to do is unplug it! So I unplugged it, used a 10 mm nut driver and pullet the net out. It weight a good 2-3 lbs and taking weight out of my car always puts a smile on my face!

Now i can operate the top with out having to go in the trunk to pull that annoying net out.

Another plus is that it gives yo a couple extra inches if you put something big all the way up against the back of the trunk, which would have been helpful on my trip this last weekend when i shoved some suitcases back there.

Cost of today's mod: Free!

chopper 08-08-2011 02:50 PM

Nice sux, Im with you there it is a pain... was that easy to do?

SUX2BU 08-08-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopper (Post 3586437)
Nice sux, Im with you there it is a pain... was that easy to do?

VERY! Hardest part was pulling the carpeting wall thing out and using a little screw driver to unplug the sensor.Total time took about 5 min.

dmullen 08-08-2011 03:45 PM

Thanks for the info...where exactly is the plug?

SUX2BU 08-08-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmullen (Post 3586726)
Thanks for the info...where exactly is the plug?

On the left side behind the carpeted wall where the bar on the net hooks in.

Lightrider 08-08-2011 07:20 PM

Hehe...I especially like the weight savings comment you make. Every day, trimming a little here, a little there...getting Ginger into 'bikini' shape soon.

billyboyf 08-08-2011 07:31 PM

This is a great discovery. I got locked out of the trunk for a while the first time I didn't have the net pulled out.I dont put anything in my trunk anyways.

mtmtx 08-08-2011 09:05 PM

got nailed by this "feature" a couple of weeks ago...thanks for the tip!

united1 08-08-2011 09:34 PM

:thanks:Good idea.

SUX2BU 08-08-2011 09:47 PM

Just an FYI. You guys don't have to remove the roll out net like I did. You can just unplug the sensor and get the same effect.

Wantconvertible 08-08-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks for helping,I was showing off one day and the top wouldnt go down,I had to get out to pull it out ,lost my show off stat quick,im going to unplug mine
Thanks again

RAWarrior 08-09-2011 10:26 AM

Yeh, got the smackdown by that stupid thing at a car show of all places. :facepalm:

hwanger24 08-09-2011 12:21 PM

Do you know if there's any real function to that net being there? Maybe just a precaution so that the owner doesn't drop the top in a packed trunk?

SUX2BU 08-09-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanger24 (Post 3591132)
Do you know if there's any real function to that net being there? Maybe just a precaution so that the owner doesn't drop the top in a packed trunk?

That's it's only function. It's to make sure you don't lower the top with no room for it in the trunk.