Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   20942 Home With Story and Review (Thanks RPO_Z28) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31701)

destroyer4 07-10-2009 01:37 AM

20942 Home With Story and Review (Thanks RPO_Z28)

5 Attachment(s)
Im going to try and keep this short. (Nope, didn't work)
Always wanted a Camaro or Trans Am but my dream car was a Corvette (financially not for me though), almost bought a Camaro R/S in '93 but backed out cause it just didn't feel right for me at the time.
Fast forward 2006 I see photos of the concept and it just blew me away. Could care less about the power, just the sheer looks of it had me hypnotized.
At this time I was actually looking for a new car, money was an issue, but not that tight. Was choosing between a Scion XB, Mini Cooper and a PT Cruiser. I always was into different looking cars. I ended up getting a 2006 PT Convertible. Was different, fun and affordable at the time. Also knowing that in 3-4 years I would be giving it up for a NEW Camaro.
A couple of months later a friend of mine bought a 2004 corvette. I drove it quite a few times, loved the power hated the comfort. Very tight, not good on long trips. For me at least. I'm a big guy. My dream of getting a Corvette was over. I still had something to look forward too though.
Fast foward 10/16/08.
I follow my friend to a local Chevy dealer so he can get service on it. We walk into the parts department and while he was signing papers I ask if there is any news on the new Camaro. I knew nothing of Camaro5.com at the time. He tells me they started taking orders 2 days earlier. At that point it was like "Feet's don't fail me now". I hi-tail it into the showroom and talk to a salesman. He explained to me there was not really much info on the car, but they were taking orders and it required a $1000 deposit. Right then and there I cut the check and ordered a Black/Black/White Stripes 2SS/RS.
The dealer gave me a pass to a local car show that had a red Camaro there. I went to look at it in person. Could not sit in it. Only exterior view and took some photos. Was beautiful.
I also learn of this site there and from that point forward it became an obsession. Every day, multiple times a day I would visit this site for an ounce of new news, rumors and speculation about things that were going to be done to this car. By Jan 2nd, I had changed my order 3 times.
Orig. Black/Black/White Rally stripes
Changed to Black/Black/ Gray Stripes
Then after seeing Cyber Gray on a Corvette I made my final choice.
Cyber Gray/Black/ Black Rally Stripes.
I was #8 at the dealership and knew I had a wait.
Now its February, I did not receive my welcome kit like so many others have and begin to worry about weather my order was placed or not, especially after hearing some of the horror stories on here about some dealers. I become nervous.
I then start a thread in the local folders titled "Bast Chevrolet, Help" or something like that.
Within one or 2 days I get a PM from some guy telling me who to call at the dealership and he would be able to help me.
It's Al Dobbs (RPO_Z28)
He assures me my order was fine and he would take care of the welcome kit. About 2 weeks later I receive it. I am relieved.
We had talked on the phone many times and he invited me down to talk.
He explained EVERYTHING. Ordering process, allocations workbench status, discounts and incentives.
Not only did he let me in on where my status was, but all the other cars before mine so I can see how everything was moving.
They had a cancellation and I was moved up to #7.
The NY auto show hits and I was finally able to sit in and SEE the car for the first time. Just WOW.
Now its May 17th and Al calls me to tell me my order is being pulled on the 21st. He asks me to come in that morning to go over the order and make sure everything is right. (after more horror stories from this site). Al is good and he has me goto his computer to "HIT THE BUTTON". (ok, it was just the enter key, but still I started the actual production process of MY dream car)
They had a cancellation and I was moved up to #7.
We spoke either on here or in person every couple of days and printed out every step of movement throughout the build.
I get the build date and then a week later a VIN. #20942. I am ecstatic.
See event status below.
I get the call it has been shipped and was bayed at its final destination before the dealership. I was to be deliver on Fri 7/3/09. I was excited and bummed at the same time cause the dealership was to be closed for a 3 day weekend.
Al calls me friday around noon and tells me he passed by the shop and saw my car in the lot. It was delivered. He Took a couple of photo's sent them to me and put her inside where she would be safe until the weekend was over. I amazes me in this day and age that someone took the time away from his mini-vacation to make sure my dream would not be left for the wolves for 3 days. Thank you Al.
Monday comes after the longest weekend of my life and I goto see her. Stripes installed that day. Looks amazing.
I pick her up tuesday evening and am completely blown away. Everything is perfect.
Al took tons of high quality pics for me from the day she was dropped off, through the stripe install through a couple of hours before I got her.
Al was unable to be there when I picked her up, but he was there for me every step of the way. It is something most never gets to hear about let alone experience. It was a one of a kind experience.
It is rare to see this kind passion from someone in the Car dealer business and it made my experience of getting my DREAM Car an everlasting memory.
It is sad to say Bast Chevrolet got its dismissal papers from GM, mainly due to its location. And it kills me that I have to give business to another dealership in the future for service of my Camaro.

Al, you are a credit to the industry and can't wait to see your future endeavors. I know I will know where you end up and will surely follow.

Thank you.

A review and many more photos will follow, but here are a few incase you missed them in other posts.
Now here she is #20942

Rogue Leader 07-10-2009 06:35 AM

Good Story, Al is a good guy and Bast is a great place, I've had many dealings with them over the years, always courteous and professional and service done right, and the right parts ordered the first time. Congrats on your ride!

geminidreams 07-10-2009 08:24 AM

Congrats..

Dutchman427 07-10-2009 08:26 AM

Looks good man. Enjoy it.

RPO_Z28 07-10-2009 09:58 AM

Hey Joe,

It gets a little better after the sale.

I printed off all of the current event history sheets and order change sheets.

I also ordered you a duplicate window sticker that you can frame and put on the wall (or use it for shows).

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Al

Andro 07-10-2009 10:35 AM

Nice

big_dog 07-10-2009 10:39 AM

Great story, and a beautiful car.

Mabey you can e-mail GM your story and the dealership can re-open. Wouldn't that be great. Congrats on the car.
:thumbup:

RPO_Z28 07-10-2009 10:44 AM

We will still be around until calendar year 2010 but it's a matter of when. The service department can stay until October 2010 but then that's it.

All the feelgood stories in the world won't change GM's mind but thanks for the thoughts.

Here's some more photo's of Joe's Camaro:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...8/P7070040.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...90703-1305.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...90703-1305.jpg

Hoddi 07-10-2009 10:45 AM

"just the sheer looks of it had me hypnotized."

I feel the same way ;)

Congratulations :happyanim:
You've waited long enough!

And to Al -- :w00t:
Nice to know there are some very nice/decent people in this world.

Have a rockin' weekend with your baby :thumbup:

destroyer4 07-10-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 (Post 665827)
Hey Joe,

It gets a little better after the sale.

I printed off all of the current event history sheets and order change sheets.

I also ordered you a duplicate window sticker that you can frame and put on the wall (or use it for shows).

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Al

Thanks Al. That is great.

big_dog 07-10-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 (Post 665998)
We will still be around until calendar year 2010 but it's a matter of when. The service department can stay until October 2010 but then that's it.

All the feelgood stories in the world won't change GM's mind but thanks for the thoughts.

Here's some more photo's of Joe's Camaro:

I know I was just saying that that would be great. But hey, you never know, it might just get to the right person.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-10-2009 11:14 AM

Thank Al and congrats, To RPO_Z28 so sad you are one of the good dealers out there, Hope that you land in the best Job for you and your family and stay on Camaro5 for life.

destroyer4 07-11-2009 12:50 AM

bump for a cause