Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   BMR trailing arms, whats the difference? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172274)

ducq 09-19-2011 03:19 PM

BMR trailing arms, whats the difference?

between these as far as performance and installation...

BMR Trailing Arms with Spherical Bearings (pair) - 2010 Chevy Camaro

and

BMR Trailing Arms with Polyurethane Bushings (pair) - 2010 Chevy Camaro

http://marylandspeed.com/bmr-trailin...27-p-2980.html

http://marylandspeed.com/bmr-trailin...26-p-2655.html

Squintz Palladoris 09-19-2011 03:55 PM

The spherical bearing has no deflection where the polyurethane bushing (although stiffer than stock) will still have a small amount of deflection. The Sperical bearing will transmit more noise into the chassis than the polyurethane.

blazzin1 09-19-2011 04:03 PM

I have the Spherical Bearing version. I know that in theory, yes the spherical bearings will transmit more noise, and I was expecting it too. But, I didn't notice any additional noise at all. I have noticed that going over speed bumps or a bumpy road is not quite as "smooth" as stock, but I was expecting that too. I think they're great!!

ducq 09-19-2011 05:15 PM

Hmm, do you recommend the spherical or polyurethane? I doubt I'll ever auto cross and I'd like to go to the track maybe a few times a year. I'm thinking the polyurethane should be fine?

Apex Motorsports 09-19-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris (Post 3774104)
The spherical bearing has no deflection where the polyurethane bushing (although stiffer than stock) will still have a small amount of deflection. The Sperical bearing will transmit more noise into the chassis than the polyurethane.

Bingo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 3774160)
I have the Spherical Bearing version. I know that in theory, yes the spherical bearings will transmit more noise, and I was expecting it too. But, I didn't notice any additional noise at all. I have noticed that going over speed bumps or a bumpy road is not quite as "smooth" as stock, but I was expecting that too. I think they're great!!

With rear trailing arms the noise isn't much of a concern. The elimination of the bushing deflection, while great for performance, can impact ride quality a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducq (Post 3774551)
Hmm, do you recommend the spherical or polyurethane? I doubt I'll ever auto cross and I'd like to go to the track maybe a few times a year. I'm thinking the polyurethane should be fine?

The polyurethane version will be just fine. Just be sure to also get the outer trailing arm bushings. They come separately. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Squintz Palladoris 09-19-2011 06:47 PM

You will be fine with the poly bushes.

With sperical bearings on older cars I only noticed the noise when the bearings got a bit worn (they were cheapos). Once I replaced them with a quality rod end it was great.

BMR Sales 09-20-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris (Post 3774104)

This is 100% correct. Most guys that install the trailing arms with the spherical bearings don't really notice a difference in road noise or vibrations, we just like to warn people that it me because they are solid mounted and some people are more sensitive to that kind of stuff than others.

ipimpthisc 09-24-2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 3776964)
This is 100% correct. Most guys that install the trailing arms with the spherical bearings don't really notice a difference in road noise or vibrations, we just like to warn people that it me because they are solid mounted and some people are more sensitive to that kind of stuff than others.

i am one of those people...and if u live in a city like NYC...trust me u will regret anything less they polyU...its the best compromise between hardcore and street. but again its all opinion.

Cyber Gray 09-24-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 3774160)

Maybe your CD player is on mute :bellyroll:

BMR Sales 09-26-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipimpthisc (Post 3795649)
i am one of those people...and if u live in a city like NYC...trust me u will regret anything less they polyU...its the best compromise between hardcore and street. but again its all opinion.

Everybody has different tolerances of what they can take so we make sure we give people options that will fit there needs. I am more than happy to talk to anyone who has questions on the differences between them.

united1 09-29-2011 06:32 PM

I just ordered the bmr trailing arms from apex and now after reading this thread think that I should also get the bushings for them too. Do they really make much of a difference?

BMR Sales 09-30-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united1 (Post 3821080)
I just ordered the bmr trailing arms from apex and now after reading this thread think that I should also get the bushings for them too. Do they really make much of a difference?

The outer trailing arm bushings definitely make a pretty noticeable difference and I would really recommend that the bushings be installed at the same time as the trailing arms since there is some overlapping labor. They are inexpensive and relatively easy to install and a good thing for any 2010+ Camaro owner to have.

Dave Coyle 09-30-2011 08:00 AM

I have both the BMR trac arm and toe rods with the poly bushings and they are not that bad as far as noise goes but the difference in handling and traction at the starting line is very noticable over the stock units.

BMR Sales 09-30-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Coyle (Post 3823213)
I have both the BMR trac arm and toe rods with the poly bushings and they are not that bad as far as noise goes but the difference in handling and traction at the starting line is very noticable over the stock units.

I think they are some of the best bang for the buck parts we sell for the late model Camaro. They are reasonably priced and not hard to install but make a considerable difference not only in straight line traction and performance but in handling situation also. Probably 80% of the trailing arms and toe rods we sell are the poly-urethane version because people want the performance they can get without sacrificing any of the great driveability of the car.