Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   what cam can I run until i do s/c (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300693)

the_fast_one 06-08-2013 12:52 PM

what cam can I run until i do s/c

I'm planning on getting blow this winter and shooting for 700rwhp. At the moment I am doing supporting mods. I have the basics Cai and muffler delete, but the car has 5k mikes so wanting a little more before voiding warranty. At the end of the month ill have my drivetrain bought and hopefully installed. I'll have pfadt zl spec stage 2 kit, gm 3.91 gears, 1000hp axles, single piece alum ds, and probably a clutch. Hoping by august I can do cam, head work, lt headers and a dyno tune and blow my warranty in one big grinning hp gain. Around January ill be shipping the car off to get blown. Looking at the ecs kit at the moment. Now that you know my plan hopeful I can get a good recommendation for a cam. I have read that mid level cam is good both n/a and s/c. Want something with a lop and some decent hp gains but would really like it to help more with the s/c application.

Thanks. I've searched and read a few threads but couldn't really find to much

Unreal 06-08-2013 02:01 PM

Stock cam will make 700-800 all day long with a decent Fi kit.

the_fast_one 06-08-2013 03:48 PM

I know it can but I want to enjoy the sound a cam makes also.

2SS45th 06-08-2013 04:07 PM

Either have a shop custom pec one or get a stage 2 blower cam. I have a custom cam in mine, as they can make more power and drive better than an off the shelf unit, but the stage 2 blower cams are street friendly and will have the sound you want.

the_fast_one 06-08-2013 04:16 PM

Thanks I will look into those options.

SSBUSDRVR 06-09-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Either have a shop custom spec one or get a stage 2 blower cam. I have a custom cam in mine, as they can make more power and drive better than an off the shelf unit, but the stage 2 blower cams are street friendly and will have the sound you want.
What he said.
Running a VR Comp Custom Spec here. Numbers put it somewhere between a Stage2 and 3. Still good street manners.
If plan on going FI ,3.91 may be too much gear. May want to hold off on the 3.91s now or drop back down after going FI. Best wishes with your build.:)

SSE 4 2SS 06-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fast_one (Post 6645622)
Want something with a lope and some decent hp gains but would really like it to help more with the s/c application.

Thanks. I've searched and read a few threads but couldn't really find to much

These two are not necessarily mutually beneficial.

The lope you mention is due to the LSA, or Lobe seperation angle. A narrow angle will result in lots of lope, while a wide angle will not.

Typically forced induction applications want a wide LSA. This ensures the exhaust valve closes prior to the intake valve opening, therefore keeping the intake charge, in this case a forced charge, in the cylinder.

The narrow angle LSA helps with a N/A application in that the scavenging effect of the properly designed exhaust system helps pull the air/fuel charge into the cylinder since the intake valve opens prior to the exhaust valve fully closing...

Your biggest gain with the forced induction is going to be with a fairly wide LSA profile cam. The "best" sound is from the narrow angle LSA.

My cam is a 121 LSA, and typical narrow angle cams are in the 110 degree area.

I have very little lope... which adds to a sleeper aspect...

Take a look at the Lingenfelter GT-9 cam. Some very mild lope but great for forced induction applications.

I used to have the GT-9 Cam, but when we exceeded it's RPM range and capability, we went to a custom grind designed by my builder and Graham Behan at Lingenfelter. It allows us to make more power to a higher range of RPM's. I sacrifice quite a bit of torque on the low end and some on the high end but I don't race at low RPM's. And in some cases, mine, losing a little bit of torque down low and through the mid range helps...

Just my thoughts...

When all else fails, call ECS and see what they recommend.

Unreal 06-09-2013 11:09 AM

Not 100% true. Lope is moslty from overlap, which is largely dictated by LSA but intake and exhaust duration also play a part. Low LSA cams usually have lots of overlap but you could have a 116lsa with more lope than a 110lsa just because of the intake/exhaust duration.

There are tons of good cams and I wouldn't go overboard with FI cam. I run a 228/240 in my 427 and it drives great and still make 1000+hp. Let the blower/turbos do the work.

SSE 4 2SS 06-09-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 6648631)
Not 100% true. Lope is moslty from overlap, which is largely dictated by LSA but intake and exhaust duration also play a part. Low LSA cams usually have lots of overlap but you could have a 116lsa with more lope than a 110lsa just because of the intake/exhaust duration.

There are tons of good cams and I wouldn't go overboard with FI cam. I run a 228/240 in my 427 and it drives great and still make 1000+hp. Let the blower/turbos do the work.

Semantics discussion... and yes, duration affects the overlap, which affects the LSA...

It's all somewhat tied together....

se7en 06-09-2013 12:53 PM

I have a LPE GT9 Cam for sale that should work great for you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281247

the_fast_one 06-09-2013 02:54 PM

Pm sent

se7en 06-09-2013 05:01 PM

PM Replied

the_fast_one 06-09-2013 06:18 PM

Got my cam bought. Thanks se7en

se7en 06-09-2013 06:50 PM

No problem buddy, it will ship in the am.