Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Canvas question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305508)

IncrediblyX 07-03-2013 09:10 AM

Canvas question

If someone stole my car and OnStar kill-switched it and locked the doors, could a thief just cut their way out through the canvas top? I've always wondered about this.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android

classicrockr 07-03-2013 10:17 AM

it wouldn't do them any good because onstar will have disabled the engine, regardless of whether they were IN or OUT of the car.

NickZ28 07-04-2013 01:30 AM

Um, yes.

classicrockr 07-04-2013 06:09 AM

the top is cloth....and seriously, this was a ridiculous question. Anyone can cut through the top at ANY TIME, regardless whether you have ONSTAR or not.

IncrediblyX 07-04-2013 11:22 AM

I've always imagined the "skeleton" to be built like an accordion. What I'm trying to get to is this: what does the top look like without the canvas? Wouldn't it be physically impossible to get out?

Chuckster 07-04-2013 09:44 PM

There is actually a hardtop lurking under the canvas when the top is up. It magically vanishes when the canvas top is retracted. It's been a highly kept secret until now, but Chevrolet worked closely with Harry Potter in developing the Camaro convertible. I hope this makes you feel better.

HDRDTD 07-05-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckster (Post 6752250)
There is actually a hardtop lurking under the canvas when the top is up. It magically vanishes when the canvas top is retracted. It's been a highly kept secret until now, but Chevrolet worked closely with Harry Potter in developing the Camaro convertible. I hope this makes you feel better.

Thanks. Now it's not a secret anymore!!!

IncrediblyX 07-05-2013 02:03 PM

Almost 300 views and the only answer is Harry Potter? You can't tell me that NO ONE here knows or has any clue as to how the retractable top is designed?

hworth18 07-05-2013 04:49 PM

I doubt OnStar would lock the doors, but I would think the crook would just unlock the top and manually push it back far enough to get out or just bust a window.

IncrediblyX 07-06-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hworth18 (Post 6754503)
I doubt OnStar would lock the doors, but I would think the crook would just unlock the top and manually push it back far enough to get out or just bust a window.

I didn't think about manually opening the top. LOL. So then, OnStar would be totally useless in capturing criminals in convertibles. Haha :sm0:
With OnStar, there's a cellphone app so that you can lock the doors or unlock the doors no matter where you are... as long as the car's antenna gets a signal. You can even set the alarm off or check the health status of your car. But all this stuff cost $$$, that is why I didn't renew.

Casperadub70 07-06-2013 04:31 PM

Granted i have a 95 conv camaro but if i was stuck in my camaro it wouldnt be as easy as just cutting the top. I mean yea if i happen to have a big knife with me and i was skinny enough to slip through the bars then maybe.
i would think the thief would still be trying to get out ( if going through the top) when the cops show up.

2011*Camaro*SS 07-06-2013 06:04 PM

IF your car is stolen and you have a subscription to on-star they can and will shut off the car only if the authorities are called. They wont just shut off the car in the middle of nowhere. They will only shut it off when the officers behind the car tell them its safe because on star does not apply the brakes.

SUX2BU 07-06-2013 06:09 PM

LOL at criminals getting locksed in cars by Onstar. You've been watching too much TV.

RolltideSS 07-06-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IncrediblyX (Post 6754027)
Almost 300 views and the only answer is Harry Potter? You can't tell me that NO ONE here knows or has any clue as to how the retractable top is designed?

The top design is bows and rails. Basically two side pieces that for the shape and 5 cross beams. Theoretically anyone could slip a knife through the canvas and slit it open between the bows. That being said I don't think it would be easy to get in/out that way but people will try anything.