Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The Birth of Brandi's Twins [COTW 8/8/11] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122837)

racer778 01-06-2011 01:52 PM

Phenomenal Family

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2702255)
My wife went with me to her first Camaro gathering and she was looking around at other cars. She would ask me questions about parts on other cars and I would either explain what I knew, or ask the owner of the particular car she was looking at to explain it.

She was particularly taken by a Roto-Fab CAI and radiator cover... Cha-Ching.... Guess what my next mod was...We have a member in San Antonio that gets real good deals on stuff and so via him, I placed an order and within a week, I was back in my shop spraying color on the radiator cover. The install was straight forward, and took no time at all....

I'm really hoping that the radiator cover will be able to stay on the car after Brandi delivers the Twins... We are thinking it will, but time will tell... I may have to do some minor fabricating to reshape it a little, but thats nothing...Have cutter, will travel...

And.... until now, other than a few shows, thats about it.... for mods.

Well, last night, I put a set of Eibach lowering springs on her with the able assistance of Joe, Racer778. Thanks Joe...

So, on to now.....:chevy:

Robert, glad you decided to start a BUILD thread. :clap: I havent as of yet but have so many mods now it would go on forever :facepalm:
It was a pleasure helping you with one of your mods, and thank the misses again for dinner(you don't mention her name in your threads so I won't). Satch of course is always a character, great personality and BIG heart. He gets it from his owners. If you have not met Robert and his wife, they are two of the most considerate, kind, passionate and generous people you would ever meet. I met Robert at a car show awhile ago and he invited me to his house that day after only 2 hours of conversation. Anyway this is about his BUILD thread but I wanted everyone to know a little about Robert and his family. KEEP THE UPDATES COMING!!! :thumbup:

Dr Jkel 01-06-2011 05:01 PM

OH MY.

buzzy56 01-06-2011 05:24 PM

My favorite also

I am glad to see this thread.I have followed your engine cover mods from what seems like way back.Yea I also have been drooling over the twin turbo set up that you are doing.I believe it is top notch and cant wait to see the installation completed and the road test results.I showed this set up to my wife several times to get her buy in too the possibility of going this route.All I get are :rolleyes: & sarcastic comments.Oh well I will keep trying & maybe just maybe ,one day she will give in.Your a very lucky fella,and you know it! Congrats

Mr Twisty 01-06-2011 05:27 PM

I knew this was gonna be good :popcorn:

SSE 4 2SS 01-08-2011 01:47 AM

Ok, I stopped by the shop today and spoke with my builder. He said thee engine builders have started on my LS-3 block that will be sleeved, and have all the good forged rotating internals. He told me the heads will be going to the machine shop on Monday, and to go ahead and keep my car until Thursday or Friday since we dont need to tear it apart to get started. He knows I'm headed for Brazil, and told me to drive it while I'm here... Way cool since the work has already started...

I went to TGIFridays in San Antonio for our regular Friday night hang, and had a blast, at least until the cedar pollen blew in... peeps were sneezing, loosing their voices and coughing to beat the band... Fortunately it didn't bother me until I was leaving and closed my hood and the layer of pollen looked like the car had been in a dust storm... WOW...

I'll drop Brandi off Thursday, and leave for Brazil Saturday, so it shouldn't hurt too much...

My builder will be adding my car to the customers build page as well as seending me some pics so I'll be able to keep up with whats going on.... He will also be sending me e-mail updates so that will help also...

More soon...

Mr Twisty 01-08-2011 09:57 AM

They may have the short block ready before you leave? :thumbsup:

SSE 4 2SS 01-08-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 2709097)
They may have the short block ready before you leave? :thumbsup:

Nah, I doubt it but thats ok. I figure by the time they get it built, and shipped and what not, I'll be in Brazil for a couple of days or so, but maybe not, I may get to see it before I leave...

Mr Twisty 01-08-2011 12:04 PM

What bore/stroke cu. in. did you decide on?

SSE 4 2SS 01-08-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 2709423)
What bore/stroke cu. in. did you decide on?

It'll still be a 427, I believe, just with an LS-3 block rather than an LS-2. I'll post that up when I know absolutely for certain... as well as a few of the other things still a little in the air....

Mr Twisty 01-08-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2709441)
It'll still be a 427, I believe, just with an LS-3 block rather than an LS-2. I'll post that up when I know absolutely for certain... as well as a few of the other things still a little in the air....

We're gonna have to find you a "Big Dog" window sticker :headbang:

http://rlv.zcache.com/dont_mess_big_...85qjcl_400.jpg

speedster already has dibs on the "Whoop Ass" :yikes:

SSE 4 2SS 01-08-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 2709514)
We're gonna have to find you a "Big Dog" window sticker :headbang:

http://rlv.zcache.com/dont_mess_big_...85qjcl_400.jpg

speedster already has dibs on the "Whoop Ass" :yikes:

If you can get the jersey and hat in Red jewell tint, i'll put that on my back window...

Bruce and I talked about shadow stripes, he mentioned having Sleeper or something in his hood cowl, and I asked him if I could use lil Sleeper...

SSE 4 2SS 01-10-2011 08:35 PM

visited my builder today, he confirmed that my motor is being built and it is going to come from the builder with 9.0-1 compression ratio...

he also sent the heads off to start the work on them. I'm still driving my car...he had a set of heads, same casting as mine, in the shop, said he would use those and for me to keep driving Brandi... weather permitting, there will be a gang of us headed to the test and tune Wednesday....my last night to drive a sane car...

Mr Twisty 01-10-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2709531)
If you can get the jersey and hat in Red jewell tint, i'll put that on my back window...

Bruce and I talked about shadow stripes, he mentioned having Sleeper or something in his hood cowl, and I asked him if I could use lil Sleeper...

How about "Sleeper's Sister" :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2717004)
visited my builder today, he confirmed that my motor is being built and it is going to come from the builder with 9.0-1 compression ratio...

he also sent the heads off to start the work on them. I'm still driving my car...he had a set of heads, same casting as mine, in the shop, said he would use those and for me to keep driving Brandi... weather permitting, there will be a gang of us headed to the test and tune Wednesday....my last night to drive a sane car...

I have a funny feeling your next rotation is gonna feel like a year! :mad0260:

... You heading out thursday?

SSE 4 2SS 01-10-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 2717047)
How about "Sleeper's Sister" :D

I have a funny feeling your next rotation is gonna feel like a year! :mad0260:

... You heading out thursday?

SS Sleepers Sis... Works for me...

And I am already dreading this hitch...

Granatelli 01-11-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2702668)
... yeah I had the big eyes... by this time, I had pretty much decided I wanted a twin turbo kit, and I had more or less made up in my mind which kit I wanted... He wasn't too keen on the idea at first, as he hadn't seen much he was impressed with thus far...

Like me, he was blown away by the TTI/Granatelli Twins kit. He looked at the other kit as well, but kept going back to TTI/G.

I am ordering the axles and he will order the clutch... All of this is in preparation for the install and boost cranking of the TTI/Granatelli Twin Turbo Kit.

We are going to order the kit with 10 lb waste gate springs, since we can as much as double the boost with an e-controller. Rather than limiting ourselves with a 7 lb spring set up to 14 lbs max boost, we will start with 10 lb springs and be able to double it to 20 if things ever progress to that point...

Corey is figuring we can go to around 13 or 14 lbs of boost before we start running out of fuel.... Time will tell...

Out initial goal is for about 750 to 800 at the wheels, but those are just numbers,,, the proof is in the pudding and in the trap times and speeds...

The Shop, is Henderson Performance in New Braunfels Texas.
The block is being prepped and built by ERL,
The Twins are from TTI Granatelli
Exhaust from Magna Flow,
Axles still up in the air...
Clutch, up in the air...

More to follow...

Thanks Again to all who have stopped in....

10lbs of boost should get you 765 rwhp - lets see how close I get :D

camaroitalia 01-11-2011 05:28 PM

First build thread I have ever read, amazing work so far. Cant wait to hear more.

SSE 4 2SS 01-11-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granatelli (Post 2719850)
10lbs of boost should get you 765 rwhp - lets see how close I get :D

I'll be sure to let you know, but thats the intended starting point... If I understand correctly, we will adjust the springs and boost until we run out of fuel. We are using the CTS-V Dual pump system with a BAP. Corey is getting either 80, or 82 lb/hr injectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroitalia (Post 2719915)
First build thread I have ever read, amazing work so far. Cant wait to hear more.

Thank You For stopping by... It's going to be fun, and there are a hosts of folks waiting for this one here in Central South Texas... Since I work in Brazil, and will be gone for a substantial period of the build, I've had a host of them offer to video any Dyno runs, and to take pictures as it progresses. I talked to Corey the other day and since this is his first 2010 Camaro "big build" he has mentioned he will feature this car on his customers build page. We are going to do a base linee dyno run, hopefully when I take it to the shop on Thursday... I'll let you know...

I mentioned in a previous thread that the axles were up in the air, but no more.... After lots of discussion and research. I opted for Driveshaft Shop Level 5 Axles. I orderd them today, though shipping may be delayed a day or two due to the snow and ice storm they are experiencing in NC.

Thanks Frank for helping me and the suggestions... Looking forward to seeing those pieces...

speedster 01-11-2011 07:48 PM

Excellent build thread Robert !!

Brandi is going to be a BEAST - in a good way.

JR has one of the best looking TT kits out there and he's a good dude. Very well thought out and not boasting HP numbers in the stratosphere. I don't think you will be lacking on power in any way.

Cool stuff. You gotta keep on posting the pics !!

Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:

SSE 4 2SS 01-11-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 2720364)
Excellent build thread Robert !!

Brandi is going to be a BEAST - in a good way.

JR has one of the best looking TT kits out there and he's a good dude. Very well thought out and not boasting HP numbers in the stratosphere. I don't think you will be lacking on power in any way.

Cool stuff. You gotta keep on posting the pics !!

Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:

It's gonna be a lot of fun. When I first met Corey, his first question threw me for a loop, he asked me how much power I wanted.... not knowing what to say, I said 850 to the wheels...:facepalm::facepalm: Then as we spent the next two hours talking, I realized what I had said and he brought me down out of the stratosphere...MG, thats about a 1000 HP at the flywheel... Thats when thee realization set in... hmmm... Ok, lets be realistic about this, but......Corey has gone above and beyond in managing a build for me that will be amazing and still driveable.

Several of us were joking about the video taping of the dyno runs, and Corey said he wanted to videeo tape my first ru through the quarter...

I'm looking forward to it....

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, I'm making a trip to the track weather permitting, last sane car drive oppurtunity...

Thanks for stopping in...

SSE 4 2SS 01-13-2011 12:38 AM

Ok, No more food after midnight...

5 Attachment(s)
Brandi is spending her last night in the garage prior to going to the hospital (shop) in the morning...

I've been talking to a vendor about some suspension parts to tighten up the Brandi's buttocks so this power will not be wasted in spinning tires and making smoke, though she loves to make smoke when the oppurtunity arises.... When a deal is struck, I'll post up the information. I want Brandi to have solid footing, but at the same time, I don't want to transmit the noise of every bug laying on the road, or every pebble I run over....

Pink Pig is going along with Brandi while she is in the hospital. Ohhhhh the trauma... :(

The engine cover and the Roto-Fab radiator cover will come off in the morning. Those pieces will recieve a face lift and be ready for when Brandi arrives back home; after I finish Dougs stuff...and Kyles stuff...

As for the Roto-Fab itself, it's been sold more or less in a pay it forward deal to a good friend in the North East... He is going to install it in his dads car... He is going to pay enough to cover a pint of paint cost for some of the other covers and things I am working on for other people:D. I wont mention his name right now since I'm not sure he has told his dad he is getting a Roto-Fab Intake... but I know his dad will be happy with it, I sure have been... The TTI/Granatelli comes with it's own air intake system... My new intake system will blow rather than suck...:bellyroll:

Pay it Forward...

Yes I know it's quite dirty under the hood right now, we had lots of rain the other day but I wanted to get to San Antonio and deliver Dougs Roto-Fab housing and install that and his Radiator cover... Mission Accomplished...but it's been way to cold for this South Texas boy to get out and wash her... Maybe on the way to the hospital I'll drive through a touchless car wash... I know, sacreligious, but hey...

Orange Krate 01-13-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2700991)
... I decided that some cosmetic mods were first in line. I saw a thread somewhere where someone had cut out the top of the engine cover and put in screen material. I liked it... and thought, I can do that... so. I mapped out the cuts, several times to make sure that I had them even, and then broke out the dremel. It took several tries to determine the best blade to use, but I got there. I cut it all out, short of the lines, and then used a hand file to close in on the lines. Off to hme depot for some screen material, and walahhhh, I had a custom engine cover... hmmm, don't care much for the color... so, off to AutoZone for some paint...

This created a problem, but not much of one. Home Depot carried a line of paints known as duplicolor.... but they didn't have anything to duplicolor RJT... so.. time for the scientific method of paint color selection... don't try this at home....

That engine cover mod turned out sweet! I love the light effect coming from the engine cover. I can't wait to see how this engine project turns out. Great job!!! I wish I lived in Texas. The laws in California regarding mods just got nastier Jan 1st 2011. Some of our California brethren are going to get a rude awakening by the LEOS in this state as they have been even more empowered to cite for modded engines and exhaust.

SSE 4 2SS 01-13-2011 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=Orange Krate;2725185]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 2700991)
... I decided that some cosmetic mods were first in line. I saw a thread somewhere where someone had cut out the top of the engine cover and put in screen material. I liked it... and thought, I can do that... so. I mapped out the cuts, several times to make sure that I had them even, and then broke out the dremel. It took several tries to determine the best blade to use, but I got there. I cut it all out, short of the lines, and then used a hand file to close in on the lines. Off to hme depot for some screen material, and walahhhh, I had a custom engine cover... hmmm, don't care much for the color... so, off to AutoZone for some paint...

This created a problem, but not much of one. Home Depot carried a line of paints known as duplicolor.... but they didn't have anything to duplicolor RJT... so.. time for the scientific method of paint color selection... don't try this at home....

QUOTE]

That engine cover mod turned out sweet! Great job!!!

Thanks, it was a learning process, and I've refined it quite a bit since then... Wait until you see Tags' cover... few eyes have fallen upon that one yet... Should have it painted in the next couple of days... Depending on when I get back from the shop tomorrow, I may try to finish the last bit of sanding and throw some color on it... if the color settles well, then I'll go ahead and clear it and be ready to put the finishing touches in it...

Da Hose 01-13-2011 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=SSE 4 2SS;2725206]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Krate (Post 2725185)

Thanks, it was a learning process, and I've refined it quite a bit since then... Wait until you see Tags' cover... few eyes have fallen upon that one yet... Should have it painted in the next couple of days... Depending on when I get back from the shop tomorrow, I may try to finish the last bit of sanding and throw some color on it... if the color settles well, then I'll go ahead and clear it and be ready to put the finishing touches in it...

Seen it about 70% complete....it looked freaking awesome then...can't wait to see it finished!!!!:thumbup:

lightning 01-13-2011 11:00 AM

Lookin' freakin awesome Robert. I don't know how you're going to be able to stand your next "deployment" with your baby in the hospital while you're gone. Good luck to ya man.

PB3 01-13-2011 01:23 PM

Can't believe I overlooked this!!

Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Tuned in..... :D