Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Even the painter left swirls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298824)

usranger80 05-30-2013 07:03 PM

Even the painter left swirls

So I just got my car back from the shop after 2 1/2 weeks of waiting while they painted the new hood and ZL1 bumper. Got the stripes painted on too and it all looks great, however, they washed all the west Texas dust off if before I picked it up and left some wonderful swirl marks all over the new black stripes. I must say I was a little surprised by the lack of attention to the paint by those who painted it, but I will say at least this gives me an excuse to make up for the 2 1/2 weeks without my car while I give it a little PC love once the paint is cured.

You can see the car here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=294642&page=2

JimE 05-30-2013 08:29 PM

Yeah, regardless of the business (car dealer, body shop, car wash, etc.), there is always a minimum wage person there to do the menial work.

nUcLeArEnVoY 05-30-2013 08:42 PM

Painters almost always leave swirls. It's really difficult to paint something without there being bad orange peel, so they usually have to DA sand the finish to level the orange peel to a factory look and then buff it with a wool pad on a rotary to restore gloss, but they can give two sh*ts about "finessing" it to remove swirls. And like the above poster said, the 18 year old kid making minimum wage is probably the one doing the cutting/buffing.

Usually you'll have to do homework when a car comes back from the body shop. At least that's all the problem was. It could have had terrible orange peel, fisheyes, edge-mapping, blushing, or adhesion issues.

Looked at the thread - paintjob itself looks great! You'll knock out the swirls no problem. Nice looking car! You can actually remove the swirls now if you're confident enough in your washing technique that you won't instill them allover again. I mean yeah, it's best to polish it once it's cured since it will be at its hardest, but there is no "chemical imbalance" that takes place from putting polish to fresh paint like there is with wax (though that old myth/not-myth is starting to debunk over the years).

LIM3 05-30-2013 09:35 PM

You can remove those.

usranger80 05-31-2013 05:43 PM

Gonna have to wait until it is not 100 degrees in my garage to remove them, one thing that sucks about the painted stripes though is I can't just put my hand on the vinyl when I close the hood or trunk to avoid touching he paint...oh we'll the paint looks so much better.

LIM3 05-31-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usranger80 (Post 6613416)
Gonna have to wait until it is not 100 degrees in my garage to remove them, one thing that sucks about the painted stripes though is I can't just put my hand on the vinyl when I close the hood or trunk to avoid touching he paint...oh we'll the paint looks so much better.

Well depending how the hood fits. The OEM falls right into the lock so no paint touching there. As for the trunk, we are screwed haha

nUcLeArEnVoY 05-31-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIM3 (Post 6613480)
Well depending how the hood fits. The OEM falls right into the lock so no paint touching there. As for the trunk, we are screwed haha

You are because you took your badge off. :bellyroll:

Just push down on the bowtie. Better you touch the chrome on that than your paint.

LIM3 06-01-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY (Post 6613735)
You are because you took your badge off. :bellyroll:

Just push down on the bowtie. Better you touch the chrome on that than your paint.

Mines is wrapped with vinyl which can be whipped right off.